You are here

What future music tech/ software do you want to see ?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

What future music tech/ software do you want to see ?

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:03 pm

Personally I'd like a perfectly realistic voice changer that can take a well recorded vocal and completely change it. And on top of that make genre specific presets available, rock, pop, metal etc, even to the point you can accurately mimic famous voices. If you wanna sound like Adele or Chris Cornell buy the pack !! Not sure what the artists would think about it though.

I'd also like in the box versions of Kemper / Axe FX, a final killer plugin that accurately models amps

Re: What future music tech/ software do you want to see ?

Postby ConcertinaChap » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:15 pm

TBH, that one puzzles me. I don't really want to sound like anyone else except me (though maybe a plugin that made me sound like me only a little better wouldn't go amiss).

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.

Postby blinddrew » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:44 pm

I'd like a genuine 20 - 20k flat response monitor that was no larger than my current speakers and cost less than £500.

Meanwhile, back where the laws of physics apply, I think the next few iterations of the Slate modeling mic are going to be very interesting.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby desmond » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:14 pm

I want a proper, well designed softsynth controller. *sigh*

A storage medium that doesn't involve rusty spinning metal at high speeds, and is large enough, and cheap enough, to redundantly store all the data I'm ever likely to generate. 200TB crystal cubes 1cm square, or maybe a biological DNA-style data encoding process in a small container would work nicely...

Internet connections that aren't rate limited for uploads, and fast, which would mean I could back up 1TB to the cloud in a few hours.

Atomic batteries that essentially have unlimited lifetime energy (see Asimov).

And a guitar that never needs tuning.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:47 pm

desmond wrote:And a guitar that never needs tuning.

I know a few guitarists who think they've got one of those already.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.

Postby Guest271017 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:53 pm

Already available.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dC4718iXMs
Guest271017
Frequent Poster

Postby desmond » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:00 am

mashedmitten wrote:

Already available.

That's not a guitar that never needs tuning.

That's a device to make the tuning process quicker and easier. It still tunes the guitar, and the strings will still stretch and detune over time, causing more tuning processes to be required, regardless of how quick they are..
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby shufflebeat » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:18 am

Real beer goggles, or at least their audio equivalent so those of us who only imbibe in moderation can hear what folks see/hear in some of the more... um... not so... er, good music that seems so prevalent from time to time.
shufflebeat
Frequent Poster (Level2)
I don't know much but I'm happy to share my ignorance with anyone who can use it.

Postby zenguitar » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:21 am

I need a TARDIS. Not for the time travel (although that would be fun) but so I can have something that is the size of a small walk in closet on the outside but on the inside has enough room for all the gear I've acquired/inherited nicely laid out and ready to use.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Guest271017 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:34 am

desmond wrote:
mashedmitten wrote:

Already available.

That's not a guitar that never needs tuning.

That's a device to make the tuning process quicker and easier. It still tunes the guitar, and the strings will still stretch and detune over time, causing more tuning processes to be required, regardless of how quick they are..

Only way strings stretch over time is if you don't stretch them correctly after string changes. I say the guitar doesn't need tuning, just a steady supply of batteries.
Guest271017
Frequent Poster

Postby Music Wolf » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:10 am

I would like to see LCD screens designed for the over 50s - WITH VERY BIG PRINT

I only wear glasses to read so, to read the screen, I have to first find them and then, if the display is on a pedal board, they fall off my nose when I bend forward.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby OneWorld » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:25 pm

desmond wrote:I want a proper, well designed softsynth controller. *sigh*

That's a big ask, if only
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby CS70 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:20 pm

A master-bus plugin that evaluates the output and when people tries to bounce something and post it on facebook with a heading "I made something in ten minutes this weekend it's totally not finished and I don't know how to mix it but I was so excited that I uploaded on Soundcloud and made a video for it will you please listen" automatically deletes the whole pile of crap, and after repeated offences wipes out the hard drive.

Alternatively, a plugin for facebook that automatically deletes the "whoa, it's awesome" comments for said track.

:D
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby Ariosto » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:46 am

A device that blocks all TV and mobile phone signals but leaves steam radio intact ...
Ariosto
Frequent Poster

Postby jaminem » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:15 am

Just a simple 'lefthand' transport controller with no features at all other than play, stop, record, loop and a large balanced scrub wheel (a bit like an old Akai S2000), where the emphasis is on ergonomics - nice (i.e. not rubber) latching buttons, preferably wireless. Maybe with wooden end cheeks and a wrist rest.

I don't want or need all those other features and dervices like the faderports buttons are too small, the CMC's are too rubber and the others come attached to a huge midi mixer thing....
jaminem
Frequent Poster

Postby job » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:19 pm

desmond wrote:Internet connections that aren't rate limited for uploads, and fast, which would mean I could back up 1TB to the cloud in a few... minutes.

Fixed! :mrgreen:

I'll take a well designed midi controller, too. The Launch Control isn't far off in my opinion, but yet falls short in an important way (midi channels).
job
Regular

Postby John Egan » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:20 pm

zenguitar wrote:I need a TARDIS. Not for the time travel (although that would be fun) but so I can have something that is the size of a small walk in closet on the outside but on the inside has enough room for all the gear I've acquired/inherited nicely laid out and ready to use.

Andy :beamup:

Andy,
+1 for the Tardis closet, as long as it could have an automated storage retrieval and hookup system for pedals, amplifiers, outboard, etc. Like a great mechanical cloud (without the rain).
I'm working on it. At present I'm on my 830th design modification. My, but this sofa is comfy!
Regards, John
John Egan
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:59 pm

jaminem wrote:Just a simple 'lefthand' transport controller with no features at all other than play, stop, record, loop and a large balanced scrub wheel (a bit like an old Akai S2000), where the emphasis is on ergonomics - nice (i.e. not rubber) latching buttons, preferably wireless. Maybe with wooden end cheeks and a wrist rest.

You've almost described the Frontier Tranzport. It is a pity they stopped making them.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby jaminem » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:36 am

James Perrett wrote:
jaminem wrote:Just a simple 'lefthand' transport controller with no features at all other than play, stop, record, loop and a large balanced scrub wheel (a bit like an old Akai S2000), where the emphasis is on ergonomics - nice (i.e. not rubber) latching buttons, preferably wireless. Maybe with wooden end cheeks and a wrist rest.

You've almost described the Frontier Tranzport. It is a pity they stopped making them.

I know...just with nicer buttons!!
jaminem
Frequent Poster

Postby One Horse Town » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:32 pm

A hack that causes any software designed to cover up deficiencies in vocal or playing ability
(which contributes to the perpetration of musical mediocrity and stifles 'musicianship') to immediately self destruct. The same could apply to any product with '808' or '909' in its designation.
Further development of materials used in subwoofer/speaker cabinet construction to reduce weight even further.
One Horse Town
Regular

Next