You are here

MIDI Controller Keyboard

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: MIDI Controller Keyboard

Postby Scramble » Wed May 03, 2017 10:55 pm

You'll be lucky to find an M1 for under £200... although there is one for £200 on eBay at the moment, as long as you don't mind it having a broken joystick, a US power supply, and you can collect from Canterbury.
Scramble
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Scramble » Wed May 03, 2017 11:07 pm

>It seems like you have to install the drivers and connect it via USB for it to work at all, in other words it won't give a MIDI out signal from the MIDI port unless it is connected via USB.

I should point out that this is only a problem if you want to use it away from a computer. You can't use it to control a sound module if you're not near a computer, because it needs to be plugged into a computer USB port to be powered. (The newer version of the A-49 doesn't use batteries.) But if you're intending to use it near a computer at all times, and have spare USB ports, that's not a worry.

Although personally, if this was to be my only MIDI controller, I'd prefer one that can run on AC power, or at least batteries.

(I can't remember whether the new version is class-compliant or not, but that's not really a much of an issue.)
Scramble
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Dynamic Mike » Thu May 04, 2017 1:06 am

I use a Yamaha Piaggero NP-31 keyboard via a Midi to USB connector for keys & http://www.akaipro.com/product/lpd8 (one of life's absolute bargains) as a controller. The NP-31 is 76 keys (but smaller are available) & the connector was about £5 on Amazon. I find having a separate controller much more convenient than having it tied to the keyboard & it's fully programmable.
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Is it too late to cancel cancel culture?

Postby Martin Walker » Thu May 04, 2017 2:36 pm

Scramble wrote:You'll be lucky to find an M1 for under £200... although there is one for £200 on eBay at the moment, as long as you don't mind it having a broken joystick, a US power supply, and you can collect from Canterbury.

Oh wow - is my immaculate Korg M1 keyboard now worth more than a few coppers then? :o

Excellent news - it simply wasn't worth selling in the past as prices were so low, although I've now had it so many years (and it's keyboard and aftertouch are rather nice) that it will probably stay my keyboard stand for the foreseeable future :smirk:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby thefruitfarmer » Thu May 04, 2017 4:59 pm

Dynamic Mike wrote:I use a Yamaha Piaggero NP-31 keyboard via a Midi to USB connector for keys & http://www.akaipro.com/product/lpd8 (one of life's absolute bargains) as a controller. The NP-31 is 76 keys (but smaller are available) & the connector was about £5 on Amazon. I find having a separate controller much more convenient than having it tied to the keyboard & it's fully programmable.

Sounds interesting ...

How are you plumbing it all in though?
thefruitfarmer
Frequent Poster

Postby thefruitfarmer » Thu May 04, 2017 5:06 pm

Scramble wrote:You'll be lucky to find an M1 for under £200... although there is one for £200 on eBay at the moment, as long as you don't mind it having a broken joystick, a US power supply, and you can collect from Canterbury.

I live near to Canterbury as it goes, and I expect to be looking 2nd hand now for something suitable. I have a few leads local so all is looking good...

I am not paying £200 for a knackered old M1 lol
thefruitfarmer
Frequent Poster

Postby Dynamic Mike » Thu May 04, 2017 5:49 pm

thefruitfarmer wrote:
Dynamic Mike wrote:I use a Yamaha Piaggero NP-31 keyboard via a Midi to USB connector for keys & http://www.akaipro.com/product/lpd8 (one of life's absolute bargains) as a controller. The NP-31 is 76 keys (but smaller are available) & the connector was about £5 on Amazon. I find having a separate controller much more convenient than having it tied to the keyboard & it's fully programmable.

Sounds interesting ...

How are you plumbing it all in though?
It's simple. Midi in/out from the Yamaha via the midi/USB cable
https://tinyurl.com/kenvyas to a USB input on the PC (the Piaggero doesn't have USB). The LPD8 is just USB to USB & comes with it's own fairly basic but perfectly useable editor. Both operate just fine through a USB hub if you're short of PC inputs.

My recommendation probably doesn't carry much weight but Jamie Cullum endorses the Piaggero & the esteemed Elf of this forum is a huge fan of the LPD8!
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Dave B » Thu May 04, 2017 6:06 pm

Interesting. I tried one of those usb-midi thingies last year and had mixed results. It was rock solid on the iPad, but seemed to lose data when connected to the MacBookPro. But I've heard that they aren't all equal and if yours is a good one then hang on to it!
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Dynamic Mike » Thu May 04, 2017 6:35 pm

Someone on this forum directed me to that particular connector and it's been fine for me. You can't grumble at the price!
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Previous