You are here

PreSonus Quantum

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

PreSonus Quantum

Postby brucepierce » Sun May 28, 2017 3:32 am

Has anyone had any hands on time with the PreSonus Quantum yet? I'm upgrading from Firestudios and have been looking at the Focusrite 8 pre x and the PreSonus Quantum...
Thx in advance.
brucepierce

Re: PreSonus Quantum

Postby Forum Admin » Sun May 28, 2017 1:53 pm

Certainly looks impressive from the spec: http://www.presonus.com/products/Quantum

Dual Thunderbolt 2 sockets is a very good inclusion. Low-latency roundtrip figures according to Marcus of Studio One Expert, who used it in his overview video of the latest v3.5 Studio One update released a few days ago.
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 10,660+ top articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
*NEW* SOS Video Tutorials: www.soundonsound.com/tutorials

Postby Dan_RS » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:28 pm

There's a glowing review in the latest SOS, but I noticed that the reviewer was testing on a mac. Does anyone have any experience with the Quantum on a PC - and specifically is the latency as low as it seems to be on the mac?
Dan_RS

Postby Forum Admin » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:34 pm

There's a long-standing topic/thread on Latency (RTL) by TAFKAT and in his later posts he includes measured performance for the PreSonus Quantum. AFAIK he uses PCs.

See https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=24765&hilit=quantum+latency&start=425#p522535
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 10,660+ top articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
*NEW* SOS Video Tutorials: www.soundonsound.com/tutorials

Postby Dan_RS » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:12 pm

Forum Admin wrote:There's a long-standing topic/thread on Latency (RTL) by TAFKAT and in his later posts he includes measured performance for the PreSonus Quantum. AFAIK he uses PCs.

See https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=24765&hilit=quantum+latency&start=425#p522535

Thanks!
Dan_RS

Postby The Coastal Path » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:39 pm

I hadn't noticed this thread when I posted my own findings about the Quantum - but in short, on a fully specced 2017 MacBook Pro, I need to use a sample setting of 256 to play many software instruments - even with just one note sounding. That gives a latency of just over 10ms - so my experience bears no relation to the impressive figures being touted elsewhere. If I am recording just audio, with no plug ins, I can get down to low latencies, but my real-world experience suggests the cpu overhead to do so makes most practical recording impossible.
The Coastal Path
Poster
The Coastal Path