You are here

Focal Shape series monitors

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Focal Shape series monitors

Postby craigtumps » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:10 am

Hi Guys, Anyone tried these? Will there be an SOS review? That would be great. No other major reviews of these out there yet.
I would like to know more about these passive radiators and if they really help in smaller rooms etc. :thumbup:
craigtumps
Poster

Re: Focal Shape series monitors

Postby ef37a » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:14 am

Why would a passive radiator be of any advantage in a small room?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:06 am

There's a review in this month's magazine :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby craigtumps » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:14 am

blinddrew wrote:There's a review in this month's magazine :)

Is there! Haha I better check. :headbang:
craigtumps
Poster

Postby craigtumps » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:17 am

ef37a wrote:Why would a passive radiator be of any advantage in a small room?

Dave.

I don't know, its what Focal say on their marketing. That's why I'm interested in a review :D
craigtumps
Poster

Postby ef37a » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:21 am

craigtumps wrote:
ef37a wrote:Why would a passive radiator be of any advantage in a small room?

Dave.

I don't know, its what Focal say on their marketing. That's why I'm interested in a review :D

Oh! 'MARKETING'! I did read the review but do not remember owt to do with the room advantages of Auxillary Bass Radiators (as Celestion I think, dubbed them yonks ago) ?

Will have another butcher's...

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:38 am

Ah so! The PR s are tuned (it says) to a very low frequency and this allows the speakers to be mounted nearer walls than those with higher port frequencies but no explanation is given as to the mechanics/acoustics/ (veracity!?) of that statement.

Yes, you CAN have a lower F in a given cab size IF you use an ABR/PR but the advantage, AFAICS, is the lower TUNING allowed, not any intrinsic property of the radiator?

One advantage they could have claimed is the protection given to the driven cone from sub sonic frequencies which can damage conventional ported speakers since below the port frequency there is zero loading. Not such an issue of course in an active speaker with built in protection.

Anyhooos! Marketing bllx notwithstanding, I WANT a pair! I might just about manage the price if I put QVC under TV child protection from 'er indoors! The Footprint 01s are way out of my league but in any case, a 'dim' loudspeaker is the LAST thing 'I' need!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby craigtumps » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:18 pm

All I can say is I have the Focal Shape Twin's and they are really nice speakers. Im finding mixing on them much quicker and better translation than what I had before. Although I only had KRK Rokit's before.
and my room is a hopeless funny shaped mess. :thumbup:
craigtumps
Poster

Postby synththeory » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:46 pm

Hi

Putting this out on a few forums as I have had a pair of SHAPE 65 for 6 months and one of them failed completely with sudden power loss mid session at 75-80 db and below ( blown in line fuse, replacement fuse blew as well).
The other SHAPE monitor is fine and is on the same ART PB4x4 power distributer. THere were no power failures, spikes or any other electrical anomolies. I can only think that a component (or components) has failed on the SHAPE 65 internal powersupply or amp. My ADAM and EVENT monitors also work fine on the same power outlet with no issues for years.

THe unit has been returned to the retailer and they have acknowledged and confirmed the fault but as such have yet to have the unit returned by them to FOCAL under warranty (they have not had a reply from FOCAL yet). I have been informed this could take upto 60 days to get the repair unit back to me, once FOCAL have accepted the unit back.

My emails to FOCAL have so far had no reply.

All very frustrating.
synththeory
New here

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:25 pm

The rate of electronic failure is usually described by the 'bath tub curve', meaning that there are a relatively high number of failures at the factory, but the failure rate then falls steeply to a very low level and remains there for a long period until the significant components near the end of their working life, at which point the failure rate climbs steeply again.

Manufacturers try to ensure that the early failures are all weeded out at the factory through the quality control testing phase , so that the devices that go to the end users are already into the bottom of the bath tub curve and thus reliable for a long period.

However, we are talking statistic here, and the reality is that some products will be made that appear completely sound, but then fail shortly into their working life. It is very frustrating, but statistically it's always going to happen to someone.

As you say, in your case it does sound like a power supply failure of some sort.

Clearly, the product is well within the warranty period but there may also be additional consumer rights that apply if it has failed within 6 months of purchase.

I don't know where in the world you are, but check the consumer rights applicable to you as you may be eligible for a refund or replacement direct from the retailer in a much shorter timescale, than having to wait for Focal to service under their warranty terms.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby synththeory » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:47 pm

Thanks Hugh

U.K purchase....U.K use. Bought from a recognised FOCAL retailer on December 06/12/2017.

I did say to them that I would like a new replacement unit in my early email exchanged but feel as though I have been fobbed off a bit and given the usual this could take 60days for repair.

So my unit is just outside 6 months although FOCAL warranty is 2 years. I was under the impression that maybe the retailer would offer a new replacement as good will.

What do you think?
synththeory
New here

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:08 pm

As I said, read up on your consumer rights....

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby synththeory » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:57 pm

Yep, thanks Hugh

Been a while since I had to use my consumer rights.....done some homework:-)

Doing what I can with the retailer to see if they choose to make good.

All the best.
synththeory
New here

Postby ef37a » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:14 pm

I wish you well.
I cannot understand a company of such eminence prevaricating around the shrubbery?

The cost of a replacement power supply, if that is what it is, must be a quite small fraction of the £250 or so each speaker costs? I would have thought a speedy resolution was worth the minor cost for the goodwill? Of course, if there is a "stock fault" and the service dep't is drowning in blown PSUs.........!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby synththeory » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:34 am

Retailer has said unit is now with FOCAL undergoing repair process. I am suprised that when I used Focal support to send Emails they have not replied at all to my questions.
What I'd also like to know is the actual component (or components) that failed so that if it happens in the future I can get a repair done quickly and efficiently.
Not have to wait and send it off with all the hassle and inconvenience that this causes (but I doubt anyone from FOCAL will be free with this information!)
synththeory
New here

Postby Wonks » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:10 am

Unless you are skilled in changing the tiny components and chips found on surface mount PCBs, there are probably no real user-serviceable parts inside. Their 'repair' will consist of swapping out a complete circuit board as it's normally cheaper than the labour cost of someone checking out the board, replacing any faulty components and then testing the board/speaker once fixed.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby ef37a » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:17 pm

Wonks wrote:Unless you are skilled in changing the tiny components and chips found on surface mount PCBs, there are probably no real user-serviceable parts inside. Their 'repair' will consist of swapping out a complete circuit board as it's normally cheaper than the labour cost of someone checking out the board, replacing any faulty components and then testing the board/speaker once fixed.

Sad ^ but true. The fact is that most decently designed electronic gear is now so reliable that having local technicians around to fix it is simple not economical .
Thirty years or so ago there were at least 10 Radio/TV/Hi Fi shops in my town and that is discounting the 'big guys' like RRentals, Currys, Rumbelows and of course the 'Magnet' pile'em high stores (that never did give service) .

Almost all gone now as have the dozen or so 'one man band' electronics techs.

But, I think it is scandalous that a very expensive product should cause a customer such trouble when it fails. Both the retailer AND the manufacture should strain every sinew to get the product replaced ASAP and at the very least pain to the owner.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:10 pm

One thing I've noticed is that there seems to be a growing number of one man band electronics repairers - sometimes more part time and hobby based rather than serious commercial operations. I guess I probably count as one of them now as I find myself fixing the odd bit of kit more regularly - just had a Korg piano in this afternoon for someone who needed to practice for an exam next week. These people are often difficult to find at first as they get plenty of work just through word of mouth.

I also notice a different attitude to repairs from people used to supporting real professional studios. My Audient preamp arrived with many of the switches not working and the people I bought it from were happy for me to open it up and find the problem - a dislodged connector. I also remember taking a multitrack up to Fostex and have them fix it (under warranty) while I waited in reception. When you are running a commercial studio you can't afford the downtime so it is worth choosing suppliers who are used to catering to this market rather than the usual musical instrument retailers.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby synththeory » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:50 pm

But, I think it is scandalous that a very expensive product should cause a customer such trouble when it fails. Both the retailer AND the manufacture should strain every sinew to get the product replaced ASAP and at the very least pain to the owner.

Both retailer and manufactuer are doing only what they are obliged to do and nothing more. The retailer act as if they cant really give a toss about how this affects my work. So I am stuck with anything up to 60 Days for repair time which is not something I can realisticaly do. I have asked repeatedly for a replacement with my consumer rights but they won't budge an inch. I wont make the same mistake again by using a large retailer such as the one I have not yet named.

In the last year both Moog and Elektron are two companies that have bent over backwards (and with a friendly and courteous manner) to help me and ship spares under warranty so I can do repair jobs myself for unfortunate issues such as a failed pot and a failed pitch bend. (yes I am more than handy and confident with with the soldering station). My father taught me the importance of learning to repair what I own and work with whenever possible.

but.....at this time , never soldered anything smaller than a tiny surface mount Op amp. Or fixed anything bigger than the shed roof!
synththeory
New here