You are here

Budget pencil mic reviewed by Paul White years ago...

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Budget pencil mic reviewed by Paul White years ago...

Postby Ben » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:18 pm

Hi all

I remember, several years ago, Paul doing a short review of a tiny, Chinese-made (?) capacitor mic. The price was something silly like £15.

Does this ring a bell with anyone? Can anyone remember which mic?

Thanks
Ben
Ben
Regular

Re: Budget pencil mic reviewed by Paul White years ago...

Postby victlamchl » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:32 pm

Something from the closed Karma Mics maybe? I can't think of anything cheaper...
victlamchl

Postby Ben » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:30 pm

That's the one, thanks. Sadly, they seem to have folded.
Ben
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:33 pm

I think that one was a Panasonic electret capsule in an XLR connector - I've done DIY versions with similar capsules - often extracted from old cassette recorders or old computer mics. Look for the various Realistic (Tandy) PZM modifications web pages to see how to do it.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Alba » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:41 am

I haven't tried a phantom powered version yet but i have this bookmarked for a rainy day... http://diy-fever.com/misc/wm-61a-microphone/

Its an omni, but a directional mic could be made with a suitable housing and a different capsule... loads of stuff on the web.
Alba
Frequent Poster

Postby Dave B » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:06 pm

So over the years, there have been a few cheap mics that have raised eyebrows and I've got a couple. I have the RED rv4 pencil mics which were some of the first cheap Chinese SDCs. The standout thing about these was that you could power them with an AA battery. They were quite cheap - iirc it was sub 100 quid for a pair. They are still available but for 150.

But that isn't cheap enough for the post. I also have a pair each of the Naiant mics and the Silver Bullets. Both are now discontinued. I have a feeling that they were both sub $50 for a pair. And I think that at least one - possibly both - are omni capsules. TBH, they are tucked away somewhere so I should really give them a test. But I seem to remember them causing a stir years ago in the 'interesting and insanely cheap' vein.
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:04 pm

I once bought a pair of swan neck mic stands and when they arrived they had a mic stuck on the end of each that had been built into a Neutrik connector. It seemed the vendor hadn't noticed them on the end, didn't know what they were and didn't want them back.

I've just dug them out; they're still working. They require phantom power and that's all I know about them. I seem to recall there was a bit of a thing at one time for building Panasonic back-electret capsules into Neutrik connectors, I suppose this must be what they are.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.

Postby Tomás Mulcahy » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:17 pm

That looks like the Naiant omni mics. You got lucky!

He doesn't make that version any more. They're really very good! Perfect for an AB pair. Need a bit more current on the phantom power than most mics, but they are quite neutral sounding and "airy". I have a pair too, plus a bunch of cardioid ones that are voiced for close miking drums. All great.

Ben, check out naiant microphones. They're not the ones Paul White reviewed, but they are based on the classic Panasonic electret DIY mic.
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster
madtheory creations
Soundware Shop

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:59 pm

Many thanks for that, Tomás, very useful indeed.

The MSH-1 is an electret condenser microphone that uses a 6mm omnidirectional capsule. Its frequency response is essentially flat from 20Hz to 20kHz. Due to the small size of the capsule, the MSH-1 has an incredibly accurate and lifelike sound that excels at concert and ensemble recording, room mics, choir, and organ; as well as applications such as string and wind instruments, percussion, piano, and acoustic guitar.

If that's accurate then what I seem to have is a sort of cutdown version of my Earthworks QTC-1's, with probably much the same strengths and drawbacks but hugely, hugely cheaper :)

Excellent. Made my day, that has.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby Tomás Mulcahy » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:31 pm

Wonderful! Free mics!! I'd love to hear a comparison of the Naiant and the Earthworks in stereo in the same position on the same source, if you ever get the chance.
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster
madtheory creations
Soundware Shop

Postby ConcertinaChap » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:52 am

Won't be for a little while but I'll see what I can do. Might be better mono, because the QTC-1's are matched but I have no idea about the Naiants. Hugh has outlined ways to check for that, though, so maybe I'll try that out too sometime.

Cheers,

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster