You are here

Euphonix Artist Mc Mix and Control

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Euphonix Artist Mc Mix and Control

Postby niallharp » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:49 pm

I can pick up both of these for just €350. The artist mixes discontinued. And unsupportedyou need to register the device with avid to get the most recent driver. Anyone know if that is likely to be a problem? Is anybody out there using the artist mix on Sierra/high Sierra?

Also, the MC mix (which is still supported)as one oled not working.

Would I be mad? I have a Mackie control, but have lusted after The artist control series for years. They are so shiny! ;-) I actually hate myself for still wanting them, despite the fact that many users said they were Buggy as hell...
niallharp
Regular

Re: Euphorix Artist Mc Mix and Control

Postby niallharp » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:52 pm

Sorry, the Artist Mix is discontinued
niallharp
Regular

Postby Dave B » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:27 pm

I have both and am running them under Sierra. I got mine before the Avid takeover so they are registered already. I use them with Logic and they are fairly bulletproof. We’ve discussed them round here before and they seem happier if their networking is configured manually - I’ve once or twice had to update the driver, but otherwise they have been flawless. If that’s the price for both, I’d still bite the sellers hand off!
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby IAA » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:22 am

Agree with everything Dave says, I use with Sierra and latest drivers from avid, works better now than when I first got it. Agree you need to set DHCP manually, but it's easy. I think setting up account for it with Avid was straightforward to get latest updates.
IAA
Regular

Postby niallharp » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:25 pm

Thanks a lot guys. I use both logic and ProTools, and I'm currently on Sierra. I have to check with the seller about registration. He is giving a week money back guarantee, and is a trusted seller. He is also selling an avid Artist transport. Is it a useful device? I am quite new to using a Control surface and I'm finding it really great. You have two hands, but only one mouse… I think I'm working much faster…
niallharp
Regular

Postby IAA » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:17 pm

I don't use the transport myself, for me it didn't seem to add more than I can easily do with the transport buttons and markers shortcuts. But if there was a good deal on one....... :bouncy:
IAA
Regular

Postby Dave B » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:17 am

Just another point of view : whilst I love the Control unit, I find that the thing that I use most is the transport controls. It's very convenient to have them under your hand. The touchscreen is great - and can be used for so much - but I find that my workflow is a combination of the MCs and the mouse rather than trying to do everything on the MC. So, if I were to pay good money up front again, I would probably get a Mix and a Transport. This would also have a smaller footprint.

But if everything is at a good price, then it makes sense to get the best unit you can.
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Re: Euphonix Artist Mc Mix and Control

Postby niallharp » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:28 pm

It does not appear that I will able to get The previous owner to sign over ownership (avid have a process which needs both the new and old owners signature… )... this means it may not be able to register the units without Avid.
Can anybody tell me, what does having the units registered give you access to?
Is Euconrol 3.6.1 a One-size-fits-all Application protocol that works for the S3, iPad app, and artist series? (I know all unit get firmware upgrades through Eucontrol)
Or do you need to have your device registered with Avid in order to get a specific version for your hardware?
Bit of a palaver, eh... not the old Mackie. Plug Ina midi cable and off you go.... ;)
niallharp
Regular

Postby Mixedup » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:24 am

niallharp wrote:Would I be mad? I have a Mackie control, but have lusted after The artist control series for years. They are so shiny! ;-) I actually hate myself for still wanting them, despite the fact that many users said they were Buggy as hell...

Yes, you'd be mad. They certainly look nice: my Artist Control makes for a lovely shiny door wedge...

But the Mackie units are so much more practical and more reliable — and I say that having owned both Mackie and Avid/Euphonix units, as well as a number of other controllers. The Mackie protocol isn't going anywhere and will work over MIDI if needs be. Whereas I wouldn't trust Avid to retain driver support, even if things weren't so buggy already, (particularly on Windows).
Mixedup
Jedi Poster

Postby boojoo007 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:47 pm

how do I set the DHCP manually? Where do I insert and get the numbers from? Sorry I am a noob.

IAA wrote:Agree with everything Dave says, I use with Sierra and latest drivers from avid, works better now than when I first got it. Agree you need to set DHCP manually, but it's easy. I think setting up account for it with Avid was straightforward to get latest updates.
boojoo007

Postby ConcertinaChap » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:36 pm

I'm not familiar with the Euphonix kit, so this is just from my knowledge of DHCP, which stands for Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol, if you were wondering.

Everything on your network has an IP address. You either set that address for each thing manually if you're a bit strange (like me) or you let your router do it for you. If you tell your piece of kit to use DHCP to get the IP address it needs to connect to the network then whenever it starts up it will ask your router for an IP address. The router will obligingly issue it with one and all is sweetness and light.

Usually the setup pages for your kit will have an option, a tick box or something like that, to use DHCP. It will also ask for the IP address of your DHCP server, which as I say is normally your router and will be something like 192.168.1.1.

As I say, I normally set IP addresses manually because I like that level of control, but from what the others are saying bugs in the Euphonix control software make that undesirable, so you have to let it get its address via DHCP as described.

Hope that's useful.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.

Postby IAA » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:30 pm

http://connect.euphonix.com/Documents/E ... de_3.0.pdf

Page 35.

Ps. Don’t use latest eucon 3.7 for Mac with Logic Pro x, use 3.6.1 works brilliantly. 3.7 as a little bug at the mo.

Ian
IAA
Regular

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:22 am

That document says DHCP is set up automatically, i.e. the Artist Mix goes looking for the DHCP server on the network and you need to configure nothing manually. I think I'll just stick with my MCU. It just works.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.

Postby IAA » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:01 pm

Ps. Don’t use latest eucon 3.7 for Mac with Logic Pro x, use 3.6.1 works brilliantly. 3.7 as a little bug at the mo.

Bug fixed in Logic 10.4
IAA
Regular

Postby otna » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:14 pm

Hi
I am new here!
Which version of Eucontrol (3.5, 3.6 or 3.7) would work with Logic Pro 9 ?

I have 3.4 but it seems to be too old to work with Reason 10...

Avid support won't answer...
otna