You are here

Tascam DR-100 MkIII recording issues

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Tascam DR-100 MkIII recording issues

Postby vinyl_junkie » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:35 pm

So I've just brought a Tascam DR-100 Mk III portable solid state recorder but I'm having a few issues and was wondering if any one else with one could confirm my problems?

Before I begin I can confirm, safety track is off, limiter is off, mic pad is off etc and I'm recording a wav file..

So output a sine wave from your source of choice (DAW, synth etc) and get the inputs on the DR-100 just bellow clipping and record this, hell clip the inputs you'll see later.

Now play this file back on your computer... It's 10db quieter! The meters are no way near 0db and it seems to attenuate everything.

If you play this file back on the DR-100, it reads correctly on the DR's own meters.

Now try this again using the digital input... It should be a bit perfect copy yes? Wrong... Same as before, the file written is attenuated when imported into a computer but looks ok on the DR-100!

Any one? This is bugging the hell out of me
vinyl_junkie
Frequent Poster

Re: Tascam DR-100 MkIII recording issues

Postby Mike Stranks » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:29 am

vinyl_junkie wrote:So I've just brought a Tascam DR-100 Mk III portable solid state recorder but I'm having a few issues and was wondering if any one else with one could confirm my problems?

Before I begin I can confirm, safety track is off, limiter is off, mic pad is off etc and I'm recording a wav file..

So output a sine wave from your source of choice (DAW, synth etc) and get the inputs on the DR-100 just bellow clipping and record this, hell clip the inputs you'll see later.

Now play this file back on your computer... It's 10db quieter! The meters are no way near 0db and it seems to attenuate everything.

If you play this file back on the DR-100, it reads correctly on the DR's own meters.

Now try this again using the digital input... It should be a bit perfect copy yes? Wrong... Same as before, the file written is attenuated when imported into a computer but looks ok on the DR-100!

Any one? This is bugging the hell out of me

IME this is not uncommon. It's done to try and minimise the risk of users clipping the signal.

You have stated that you've recorded with your levels "just below clipping". Many people still assume that you should record with your levels just reaching 0 dBFS whereas the recommended level is with peaks at about -12. Now I'm making no assumptions about your normal recording levels and note that you were testing with a sine wave.

Personally I wouldn't give it a second thought. You have a good recorder. At the appropriate point in the mixing process simply apply an appropriate amount of gain to bring the finished piece up to required levels.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:22 am

I can see the OP's source of frustration. It does seem a bit weird, and it's not something I've come across on any semi-pro recorder before.

I wonder if it might be a configuration issue -- don't some Tascam machines have a dual-record mode where they deliberately record a second set of tracks at a lower level? Could it be something like that perhaps?

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Ariosto » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:31 am

My old Tascam HD-P2 solid state recorder gives a higher recording level when played back on the machine and in my DAW (Reaper). I adjust the recording levels so that on playback and in the DAW they are still below zero DBFS - usually by a margin of approx. 5 or 6 dB.

I might increase a bit then on final render as they like fairly hot audiobooks but it is still with about 4dB headroom.

My advice is from the unwashed so don't take it too seriously - others will give better advice I'm sure.

Ariosto.
Ariosto
Frequent Poster

Postby vinyl_junkie » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:44 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:I can see the OP's source of frustration. It does seem a bit weird, and it's not something I've come across on any semi-pro recorder before.

I wonder if it might be a configuration issue -- don't some Tascam machines have a dual-record mode where they deliberately record a second set of tracks at a lower level? Could it be something like that perhaps?

H

I do usually record with plenty of headroom now days. I noticed the issue when I was playing back the files on the computer and they were way quieter than expected so then started to do a few tests.

I even tested using the dual record mode and had the same issue, also tested various bit depths, sample rates and even MP3 recording.
What is very strange is playing back the files on the hardware recorder itself the levels are ok and not attenuated, it's only when I drag the files from the SD card into the computer.

I have tried it on two computers running different OS'es (Windows 10 Professional and XP)
Really stumped on this one.

I would of liked the Sony PCM-D100 but other than the higher price I'm a bit mystified at the lack of professional connections which I kind of require (XLR, TRS Jack and Coax for digital) and the Tascam seemed to fit the bill perfectly.

I'll do a bit more digging when I get back from work tonight and perhaps do a video.

I did email Tascam and awaiting their response.
vinyl_junkie
Frequent Poster

Postby vinyl_junkie » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:59 pm

Well this is embarrassing... It appears to be a Windows 10 related thing... Had a proper test today after work and alles gut.
I don't even want to know or care but I'm glad it works ok :lol:

It's all good any way as my main dedicated audio editing system for audio is a older XP computer with no internet and what have you
vinyl_junkie
Frequent Poster

Postby piercebe » Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:56 am

I had the same problem when i connected my tascam DR100-MK3 to the record port of my mixer and i connected it to the XLR port with 2 big jacks at the bottom of the device
the recording was very quiet and the level meter goes to max -12db

I tried something else i connected now the record port on my mixer with the red and white cinch plugs and i connected it to the single jack on top of the device to the EXT IN

you need to change also the input record port of the device from LINE to EXT LINE
and now the level meter goes all the way to -0db

greetz Piercebe
piercebe

Postby blinddrew » Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:43 pm

-12dBFS is a very sensible level for recordings to be peaking. Assuming you're recording at 24 bit.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...