You are here

New Monitor Speakers

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: New Monitor Speakers

Postby Wonks » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:40 am

I've got some M040s as my current main monitors. Good speakers, not quite as powerful or quite as much bass extension as the 8040s (but only by a few Hz). Subjectively they sounded very similar to the A7Xs I have, but wasn't set up to do an A/B test at the time I got them as the power amp on one of the Adams' had blown and needed repair. Also, my room is untreated and will probably remain so (it's also the spare bedroom and its geometry makes it impossible to put up balanced absorption panels or corner bass traps.

I've got the Sonarworks correction software on them, which has cut down on excessive bassiness, but I'm struggling to convert mixes that sound good on them to mixes that sound good elsewhere (especially on the downstairs Hi-Fi). I actually did better with my first set of monitors - Behringer Truths! So whilst I like to mix on monitors, I'm now trying to use headphones instead.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby James Perrett » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:24 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote: Just a thought about a speaker I haven't actually heard.

I think that's the problem - not many of us have heard them and on the forum I try to only comment on stuff that I've actually used.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby ConcertinaChap » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:38 am

Fair comment.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
A full wine rack is a happy wine rack.

Postby ore_terra » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:06 am

James Perrett wrote:
ConcertinaChap wrote: Just a thought about a speaker I haven't actually heard.

I think that's the problem - not many of us have heard them and on the forum I try to only comment on stuff that I've actually used.
If we would all do that it would mean the end of forums (and maybe the whole internet :lol: )
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby job » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:52 am

I like your setup. Kinda makes me envious ha. Looks like a cool place to be :thumbup:
job
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:56 am

I plan to go and listen to a couple of pairs of monitors over the next few weeks and will certainly compare the A7X and the KH120A. Then, if I can get a demo set I'll try them in my room.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby John Willett » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:05 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:The studio is finished now and has what I hope is a decent amount of bass trapping and broad band absorbers at the mirror points and elsewhere. I am still, sort of, considering a change of monitors and stretching the budget into Neumann KH120A or Adam A7X territory. Should I be considering anything else bearing in mind the KH120s are very much at the top of (and really a little beyond) what I can afford before I go listening to stuff?

The KH120A (or the earlier K+H O110) are, IMHO, the best around at their price point.

I used the K+H O110D for several years before I upgraded to something better (and twice the price of the KH120A) and am now anout to sell these on.

I found these trustworthy and accurate and Neumann do have a good back-up.

So that would be my choice at this price range. :thumbup:
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:43 pm

I think I'm beginning the get an idea of which way the wind is blowing in this thread...... :D
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby blinddrew » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:55 pm

Let's face it, it's not often someone walks into a studio and says, "Neuman? Pah! I shall take my business elsewhere!"
;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Dan LB » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:34 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:I think I'm beginning the get an idea of which way the wind is blowing in this thread...... :D

Another very happy KH120a user here!' Can't be beaten for the money! :thumbup:
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Postby Twangothan » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:39 pm

Useful thread. I now have Neumann GAS. I bought a pair of Acoustic Energy AE22s a little while ago (when they sold off the stock when they discontinued them) which sound great but they are a bit big for the space - I wish they were more compact. Any views on the Neumann v AE22?
Twangothan
Poster
If you like country with a boogie beat

Postby ConcertinaChap » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:15 pm

There are certain bits of kit and stuff that tend to be recommended whenever the chance arises. The KH120 is one such. Another would be a stereo pair of Rode NT55's. A third (slightly more contentious, maybe) would be AKG K702 headphones. And so on. I wonder how far we could get with such a list? Maybe a topic for a different thread.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
A full wine rack is a happy wine rack.

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:29 pm

Do you want to start one or shall I (in the lounge maybe)?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby John Willett » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:09 pm

Twangothan wrote:I bought a pair of Acoustic Energy AE22s a little while ago (when they sold off the stock when they discontinued them) which sound great but they are a bit big for the space - I wish they were more compact. Any views on the Neumann v AE22?

I used to recommend the AE22 for people who really could not afford the KH120 - the 120 are a good step up and are pretty accurate and trustworthy. :thumbup:
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Postby Ramirez » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:52 pm

John Willett wrote:
Twangothan wrote:I bought a pair of Acoustic Energy AE22s a little while ago (when they sold off the stock when they discontinued them) which sound great but they are a bit big for the space - I wish they were more compact. Any views on the Neumann v AE22?

I used to recommend the AE22 for people who really could not afford the KH120 - the 120 are a good step up and are pretty accurate and trustworthy. :thumbup:

Weren't they around the same price? I've always taken the ae22 and KH120 to be alternatives in the same quality/price range, rather than the KH120 being a clear step up.

FWIW I own the ae22, and use the KH120 often at another studio. I think they're both very good.

EDIT: Had a quick look and it seems the KH120 we always a good few hundred dearer than the ae22.
Ramirez
Frequent Poster
www.stiwdiosain.cymru

PreviousNext