You are here

Stereo to 2x mono cable and hum?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Stereo to 2x mono cable and hum?

Postby garrettendi » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:26 pm

Would this stereo to dual mono cable be too long? https://www.gak.co.uk/en/stagg-syc6ps2p ... gIQvvD_BwE

It's 6 metres, so will it be more susceptible to picking up hum across that length than a shorter cable? I need a quick and cheap solution!
garrettendi
Frequent Poster
"The blues isn't about feeling better. It's about making other people feel WORSE, and making a few bucks while you're at it." - Bleeding Gums Murphy

Re: Stereo to 2x mono cable and hum?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:19 pm

It is certainly heading towards the long side of what would be sensible for an unbalanced connection, and yes, it will inevitably be more susceptible to picking up hum and other interference... but that's not to say it won't work acceptably well in some situations.

Of course, how much interference it picks up will be determined by (a) how much interference there is around it in your environment, (b) how strong the signal being conveyed is, and (c) the impedances of the source and destination.

It may be that such a cable works tolerably well at home, but is terrible on stage, for example. Or it might be acceptable when connecting some devices, but not others.

The other issue with unbalanced cables is that of ground loops, and assuming both source and destination devices have connections to the mains safety earth, the further apart they are, the more likely a significant ground loop problem is likely to occur.

Speaking personally, anything over about three metres would make me look at the options for balancing... or it might just be more pragmatic to relocate devices in the room! ;)

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: Stereo to 2x mono cable and hum?

Postby garrettendi » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:26 pm

Thanks Hugh. I already have a 2 metre cable sitting around, so I'll use that instead, moving the multitrack closer to the source and I'll power both from one distribution board.

That will hopefully minimise on ground hum, with a sacrifice of lugging the desk over.
garrettendi
Frequent Poster
"The blues isn't about feeling better. It's about making other people feel WORSE, and making a few bucks while you're at it." - Bleeding Gums Murphy