You are here

RME Digiface USB performance

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

RME Digiface USB performance

Postby Mr Bjorkas » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:07 pm

Hi

My current audio interface setup consists of a Mackie Blackbird (main interface) and a Motu 896HD as additional pres over ADAT. It works pretty well. I still wonder: Will it perform better if I run the Blackbird and 896HD through the new RME Digiface USB?
Mr Bjorkas

Re: RME Digiface USB performance

Postby molecular » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:57 pm

I'm unsure what you mean by plugging the Mackie into the RME?
molecular
Frequent Poster
Location: The turn off where the main road goes over the river. If you're at the post box you've gone too far.
Anto mo Ninja, Watashi mo Ninja http://www.hectormacinnes.com

Postby James Perrett » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:05 am

I presume that you are asking whether you can use the 896HD and the Blackbird as stand-alone preamps/convertors and feed ADAT into the Digiface. This appears to be possible from looking at the manuals although you may have to connect them to a computer in order to set up the stand-alone configuration in the first place.

I must admit that I'd be interested in knowing about the Digiface's performance as it would probably be my first choice of audio interface if my existing live recording setup stops working.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby mjfe2 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:25 pm

Mr Bjorkas wrote:Hi

My current audio interface setup consists of a Mackie Blackbird (main interface) and a Motu 896HD as additional pres over ADAT. It works pretty well. I still wonder: Will it perform better if I run the Blackbird and 896HD through the new RME Digiface USB?

Preamps and A/D conversion won't be changed in the setup you describe so the sound will be identical. But you may find you can get a lower buffer size and more reliable performance from the drivers of the Digiface, especially when it comes to future software updates and computer upgrades.
mjfe2
Frequent Poster