You are here

are there any digital multitrack recorders that have midi?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

are there any digital multitrack recorders that have midi?

Postby Sir Ricardo » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:29 pm

Greetings -

I use Cubase on my PC. Great system, but it does not lend itself to doing quick and easy demos of song ideas.

So, I thought I'd get something like a Boss BR-800, but I see it does not have midi. To my surprise, as I've looked around, I can't find ANY digital multitrack recorders that have midi.

What am I missing? Are there such devices? It seems like surely there must be. If you are going to record a keyboard part, you need to be able to keep track of what, exactly, you have played....

thanks in advance - Richard
Sir Ricardo

Re: are there any digital multitrack recorders that have midi?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:50 pm

I think the general consensus is that you use hardware audio recorders to record audio, hardware midi recorders to record midi, and computers to record both at the same time! :-)

I can't think of any hardware audio recorders that can record midi either... But maybe someone else knows better.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Shingles » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:58 pm

The venerable Roland MV8800 does eight (stereo) tracks of audio and MIDI also, and it’s an excellent hardware sampler. More than just Roland’s answer to the Akai MPCs. Add an optional vga monitor and mouse and it’s a lot like having a 90s version of Cubase housed in dedicated hardware.
Shingles
Regular
Nik
Godin, Axon, Tonelab, Repeater & the skin of my teeth!

Postby blinddrew » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:14 pm

Hmmm, I thought i recalled my old Zoom MRS8 having a midi socket - but it's midi out only.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Dave B » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:09 pm

It might be worth looking at the Akai MPC live as that can record midi and also has the ability to record audio tracks. Chevytraveller picked one up at Synthfest and is very taken with it. And he's not easily pleased.
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby ef37a » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:39 am

You would think someone would make a fag packet sized box with a MIDI in,out,thru and a USB port that could record billions of MIDI bits to an SD card?

Not as far as I can see.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Sir Ricardo » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:28 pm

Dave B wrote:It might be worth looking at the Akai MPC live as that can record midi and also has the ability to record audio tracks. Chevytraveller picked one up at Synthfest and is very taken with it. And he's not easily pleased.

Thanks for the head's up. I just checked it out. While interesting, it's somewhat different than what I have in mind.

What I'd like is a 8-16 track digital recorder that also has midi.

Obviously I'm missing something here, in terms of consumer demand. It seems to me that plenty of people doing home / mobile recording could use a device like that.

But given that Boss / Tascam / etc have not brought such a device to market, I guess the demand is pretty small.

It consists of me!

thanks -

Richard
Sir Ricardo

Postby Dave B » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:57 pm

Again, thinking laterally, some workstations like the Roland Fantom (X and G range) can also record audio into their sequencer.

Or you could equip an iPad with an usb port and use standard midi and audio devices to get stuff into Garageband. I think that there's a Cubase version of that as well.
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:22 pm

I did wonder, on here some time ago, about a box that could record midi to a DTR. Can't remember if I still had the Akai DR16 or had moved on to the Mackie SDR 24/96 but wouldn't it be possible to record the midi as an audio track using fsk or something like it? Doesn't help really as I don't suppose anybody is going to make such a box these days.......
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Re:

Postby Akikaze » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:15 pm

Are there any digital multitrack recorders that can be used as midi sequencers? Yes, the discontinued Tascam SX-1 and SX-1 LE.
Akikaze

Postby adrian_k » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:56 pm

Coming at it from a slightly different angle....

I used to have this problem, couldn’t be bothered to fire up the PC to sketch out stuff.

In the end I took the time out to set up a couple of DAW templates for stuff I might do, swapped the drive for an SSD so it boots in a much less than a minute, leave a mic plugged in an on a stand (covered), set up the interface so I don’t have to keep replugging stuff too much. I’m ready to record in a minute if I want to. My main problem is inspiration. But it is working, I have written two songs in the last few months, more than I have in 10 years.

Main thing for me is to separate out mixing from writing, so I end up with demos not final mixes, but that’s ok.
adrian_k
Frequent Poster
getting better all the time..

Postby N i g e l » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:19 pm

I used to use a a seperate MIDI sequencer with a hard disc recorder. They could be synced together.
Ive got a MIDI workstation synth now, which also has MIDI sync for the hard disc recorder.

As the sequencing & synthing are in the same unit, the timing is much better, theres no MIDI cable bottle neck when data activity is intense.

adrian_k wrote:... drive for an SSD so it boots in a much less than a minute.

The workstaion is ready to rock in 22s. This used to be fast but this has now been overtaken by my fairly ordinary PC + SSD: 17s boot to Windows screen from off (even faster from sleep).
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby adrian_k » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:54 am

N i g e l wrote:The workstation is ready to rock in 22s. This used to be fast but this has now been overtaken by my fairly ordinary PC + SSD: 17s boot to Windows screen from off (even faster from sleep).

That prompted me to time my laptop boot up - 39 seconds from 'on' button to DAW loaded and ready to go, which is well within my attention deficit time. I wonder what the maximum time would be before I couldn't be bothered to switch it on? I never timed it before the disk switch..
adrian_k
Frequent Poster
getting better all the time..