You are here

PMC TB2A new amps?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

PMC TB2A new amps?

Postby ESE » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:19 pm

Any recommendations for replacing the Flying Mole amplifiers of my PMC TB2's. I had one of them repaired a couple of years ago but the other has gone and I don't think you can get the parts any longer. I may in the long run build some hypex type amps into the Flying Mole cases but in the meantime would a basic Behringer power amp or such like work okay?
ESE
Poster

Re: PMC TB2A new amps?

Postby John Willett » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:04 pm

I would talk to PMC and see what they recommend.

Using a Behringer amp is like putting second-hand re-tread tyres on a Ferrari.
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:51 pm

Sorry to hear you're having problems. The Flying Mole amps looked like a great design when introduced, but they have proven unreliable in the long term, sadly.

I know PMC were collecting working FMs for a while to serve as maintenance spares for existing clients, but I don know if that's still the case. The DS001 amp was developed as a replacement for subsequent TB2s, but that's been discontinued too, I believe -- although there may be a stock for spares.

Either way, I agree with John that your best first step would be to contact PMC and see what they suggest.

The alternative would be to find a new or decent second-hand power amp to drive them. The Tb2s respond well to power, so the more the better (I ran mine from a Bryston 4B quite happily before now), so I'd suggest 100W as a minimum, and ideally 150-200W.

I've no direct experience of the Behringer amps, so I can't comment on the quality I'm afraid, but there are plenty of decent hifi and pro studio power amp's on the pre-loved market these days. just avoid anything with a cooling fan!

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby James Perrett » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:27 pm

Buy some Hypex modules. When I turned one of my Quad 405's into a Hypex based amp there was very little soldering involved as they supply ready made cable harnesses. I just had to drill a few holes. I think it took an evening to dismember the old amp and another evening to wire in the new modules. I ended up with an almost completely new amplifier for around £250.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby ESE » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:46 pm

Thank you for the replies, very helpful.
ESE
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:22 pm

John Willett wrote:I would talk to PMC and see what they recommend.

Using a Behringer amp is like putting second-hand re-tread tyres on a Ferrari.

Unless it's Ferrari M32........
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby steve hywyn » Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:52 am

Hi,

can I ask what was the advice from PMC, regarding new amps or repair?...

One of the Flying Moles in my TB2SA's was working fine before I powered down. Now it won't power back up.

A bit concerned that even if it is repairable, the other amp might blow.

I do recall speaking to PMC and they said an upgrade path would be reasonable (as they no longer had parts for Flying Mole), but that conversation was many moons ago and they have since stopped producing TB2SA's.

Best,
Steve
steve hywyn

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:00 am

There are a few people around claiming to be able to repair Flying Mole amps. You could try samlogic30@yahoo.com for starters -- he posted here a while back about his repair service. I've not heard any feedback about his work, but it's worth a try.

PMC don't make their DS001 amps any more -- their own replacement for the Flying Mole.

So I think I'd look at building or buying something based around Hypex amp modules and PSU, or go for a decent second-hand power amp and cable it into the back.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby ESE » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:24 pm

I eventually got around to repairing my amps and used Icepower 50ASX2BTL modules. I could reuse a few of the connectors and the results are great. As one of my Flying Mole amps was still working I tested the Icepower alongside the Flying Mole and they were quite similar. The gain staging is the same with the Flying Mole Set to 0db, a solid central image. The Icepower bypassed the volume control. I then replaced the amplifier module in the Flying Mole so I had two matching amplifiers and they sound very clean. I think the Icepower modules have lower distortion specs. Very pleased, as the modules which have built in power supplies are quite reasonably priced.
ESE
Poster

Postby DJ Phil B » Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:28 am

Hi ESE.,
May I ask was it quite easy to install the module ?
I have the Digidesign RM2 version TB2-A and my amp is failing.

many many thanks
DJ Phil B
DJ Phil B

Postby ef37a » Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:49 am

I assume then that there is just one amplifier per speaker and a high level crossover?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:55 am

DJ Phil B wrote:Hi ESE.,

many many thanks
DJ Phil B

Looking at their website Phil the amp's take a direct connection from mains supply so you need to be experienced in doing that safely.

Love to know the ball park cost!

Also it does not seem the amps have balanced inputs? Not so bad as there is a +&-25V aux supply that could be regulated down to 2x 15V and run one of the balanced input modules Hugh reveiwed a while ago.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Zukan » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:28 am

I happily ran mine with a used Bryston 4B I bought from Canada. I found quite a few available via theatre websites and Ebay. They seem to be popular in Canada. After shipping and taxes it was still very affordable and a perfect solution for running my TB2S+...
Zukan

Postby ESE » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:00 am

DJ Phil B wrote:Hi ESE.,

many many thanks
DJ Phil B

Yes, quite simple. I bought the wiring kit for the icemodule but was able to use the existing speaker connector. I joined the mini input board from the existing amplifier to the new wiring harness inline. A few holes were drilled in the case and I used some nylon motherboard standoffs for the new module reusing the flush case screws.

After a few weeks use my impressions are very favourable, not sure these speakers every sounded this good :)

The cost was approx £120 per amplifier.
ESE
Poster

Postby ESE » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:44 am

From what I can see the RM2 is quite different from the TB2A. The TB2A is a passive monitor with a detachable amplifier on the back as a separate unit. I don't think you can fix the RM2 in the same way.
ESE
Poster

Next