You are here

PMC TB2A new amps?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: PMC TB2A new amps?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:08 pm

Yes, the RM1 and 2 were PMC's first foray into DSP processing and digital crossover technology and have an dual amplifier setup driving the bass/mid and tweeter separately in the usual active way. So the nearest current equivalent are the TwoTwo range models.

The TB2 was always a passive speaker with a traditional speaker-level passive crossover, and the later versions simply bolted a single channel power amp on the back of the box -- a format PMC liked to call 'activated' -- which was fundamentally a convenience feature.

They originally used Flying Mole amp bricks, but later changed to their own brand version which I believe used Hypex class D modules (although I've not taken one apart to check).

On these models, if the amp fails it is possible to connect any suitable external power amp directly to the speaker input connector in the traditional way.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: PMC TB2A new amps?

Postby DJ Phil B » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:44 pm

ESE wrote:From what I can see the RM2 is quite different from the TB2A. The TB2A is a passive monitor with a detachable amplifier on the back as a separate unit. I don't think you can fix the RM2 in the same way.

Didn't realize that., thank you for alerting me :thumbup:

Its impossible to get parts anymore for these RM2's

maybe my only option is to get a complete plate amp ...like a hypex FA122 ?

Phil
DJ Phil B

Previous