You are here

Buzzing mic conundrum

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Buzzing mic conundrum

Postby mat_171 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:59 am

Hi. I’m having the same issue with a pair of M5. Did you resolve this ground issue with the M5?
Thanks.
mat_171

Postby snipedog » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:25 pm

Hello Mat_171,
The M5's were eventually returned to Rode at their suggestion. However Rode sent them back with the problem reduced but not eliminated. We have since been replaced them with a pair of Rode NT5's as we gained the impression there is a fault in the design of the M5s. The coating on the outside of the mics might possibly be interfering with the earthing somehow, but we were not able to confirm this. S
snipedog
Poster

Postby Wonks » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:40 pm

Thanks for the feedback. A shame they couldn't cure the problem completely, but you've ended up with better mics.

I'd probably suspect that coating as well, though a simple multimeter test should have shown up any high resistance.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:56 pm

I can't see how any coating on the outside of the mic would be a problem. But if the paint treatment got on the inside it could prevent an effective bond with the XLR pin1.

And I have come across other Rode's mics with various internal grounding issues.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Wonks » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:09 pm

The coating normally covers the screw thread holding the capsule on, which can reduce or prevent the capsule casing being grounded. And mic case ground bonding often seems to be down to the screw holding the XLR in place, which also relies on any coating on the body to be conductive.

If there was some conductive component of the coating that didn't get added to the mix before it was applied (or in too small a quantity to be effective), then it may be why just some M5 mics are problematic rather than all of them.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby mat_171 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:55 pm

Thanks for all responses.

I've tested the same setup in a friend's house, (supposedly well grounded) when I first notice the 50hz hum. I've check all inputs at the interface (presonus 44VSL), different cables and laptop running on batteries. This setup consist of 2xM5, a SM57 and a Audiotechnica AT2035, only the rode pair has the noticiable hum. Later I checked at my house (not so well grounded) and the hum is gone. The only thing is when I touch the rode mics whith my fingers, there is a static noise (hum plus harmonics, but way softer than the original hum problem).

I think I'm going to return them and buy something else.

Sorry about my English and grammar.

Greatings from Argentina.
mat_171