You are here

Fave drum programming softwares

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Fave drum programming softwares

Postby erinasaboy » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:07 pm

Hey all,

Curious as to some of your favorite softwares/plugins for programming non-acoustic drum beats. I mostly play rock, and for real/acoustic sounding drums I use EZDrummer 2 and am happy with that for now.

But I would like to try a 2nd software for making electronic/hip-hop/dance sounding beats.

Also, it can be plugin or standalone, so long as it syncs well to my daw (Cubase elements 8 for PC.)

And something with hopefully a user friendly and good UI. Ie- something with maybe a grid kind of set up that's easy/quick to build beats on.

Something with a decent library of classic sounds (ie 808s et al) but also newer sounds, some creative sounding kits, and flexibility to tweak individual drums and add fx within the program (reverbs, comps, distortions, filters, etc).

Lastly, I'm not all that familiar with the difference between sequencers, samplers, drum programs, et al, so forgive my noobiness.

Suggestions?
erinasaboy
Poster

Re: Fave drum programming softwares

Postby Music Wolf » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:18 pm

I upgraded from EZ Drummer to Superior Drummer 2.0 some years ago. I'm upgrading to Superior Drummer 3.0 this Christmas (although I'll admit to having already installed it and played with it - but don't tell my wife :shh: ).

I am very, very, happy with it. I believe that there are also a few electronic kit sounds in there but I've not tried them, and probably never will.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:33 pm

There are thousands of free 808, 909 instruments and samples all over the internet.

I'm sure if you look in the free plug-in haunts you'll find something useful. Looking for 'free vst 808', for example, on Startpage I instantly found this: https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/1-Instruments/7-Drum-Machine/376-TS-808

To program patterns, just use the MIDI editor in your DAW.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Kwackman » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:39 pm

erinasaboy wrote:But I would like to try a 2nd software for making electronic/hip-hop/dance sounding beats.

Also, it can be plugin or standalone, so long as it syncs well to my daw (Cubase elements 8 for PC.)

And something with hopefully a user friendly and good UI. Ie- something with maybe a grid kind of set up that's easy/quick to build beats on.

I thought Cubase Elements had Groove Agent SE, which might have the sounds you are looking for?
Cubase has the Drum Edit page which, IMHO, is one of Cubase's jewels and the perfect place to build your beats.
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby erinasaboy » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:01 pm

Kwackman wrote:
erinasaboy wrote:But I would like to try a 2nd software for making electronic/hip-hop/dance sounding beats.

I thought Cubase Elements had Groove Agent SE, which might have the sounds you are looking for?
Cubase has the Drum Edit page which, IMHO, is one of Cubase's jewels and the perfect place to build your beats.

Cubase does have Groove Agent. I have messed with it before and found it decent, but lacking in certain sounds, but maybe I'll revisit and give a deeper look. Maybe a bit of extra tweaking will get me where I want on those sounds.

And, yes, thankfully Cubase does have the drum editor, which is a breeze to use. I figured I'd mention UI just in case people suggested standalone products.
erinasaboy
Poster

Postby Agharta » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:01 pm

I like NI Maschine as you get a hardware controller as well as the software which is very expandable via Expansions some of which are excellent to my ears.
As well as the multitude of kits there are also some complete tunes including instruments which give them context which can help.
Most of the kits also come with at least one rhythm track to get you started and inspired.
Currently NI offer a free phaser along with a free $25 coupon per account and I have 3 accounts and they are all eligible:
https://www.native-instruments.com/en/s ... days-2017/

If you are in the UK use a US address in a state such as California which has no online sales tax and you can buy an expansion for ~£18.50 using PayPal.
I just bought the Rising Crescent and Amplified Funk Expansions and have found them very inspiring.
They have some very good demos online and I took the time to check many of them out and these two have proven even better than I expected.

What I like with Maschine is that I can enjoy it just jamming with the hardware controller, playing with the Maschine Software with a keyboard and mouse or playing with the presets and editing them or playing along with or without the Maschine hardware.
I also use it as a VST with my DAW so it's very flexible,
This may well not be what you had in mind and maybe in a different price bracket but i love this shit. :)
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby erinasaboy » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:02 pm

The Elf wrote:There are thousands of free 808, 909 instruments and samples all over the internet.

I'm sure if you look in the free plug-in haunts you'll find something useful. Looking for 'free vst 808', for example, on Startpage I instantly found this: https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/1-Instruments/7-Drum-Machine/376-TS-808

To program patterns, just use the MIDI editor in your DAW.

Cool, thanks! I always tend to forget there are free libraries out there.
erinasaboy
Poster

Postby Dynamic Mike » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:31 am

Wouldn't https://www.toontrack.com/product/electronic-ezx/ be the easiest route? At least you'd be familar with the UI. It's not a genre I really work with but I'd imagine any Toontrack kit is going to be decent quality.
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Non-partisan suggestion for Stroke City: Donderry 

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:05 am

I still love Microtonic from Sonic Charge for electronic drums: https://soniccharge.com/microtonic

No, it doesn't include clones of drum machine sounds, but it's INCREDIBLY versatile with its own electronic sounds, and even has a fascinating on-line Microtonic patternarium - thousands of computer generated Microtonic presets available for royalty free use. You can listen to them directly online, download or copy any preset directly into your Microtonic. You can also participate in the rhythm evolution by voting on what you do and do not like.

https://soniccharge.com/patternarium

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby erinasaboy » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:43 am

Martin Walker wrote:I still love Microtonic from Sonic Charge for electronic drums: https://soniccharge.com/microtonic

No, it doesn't include clones of drum machine sounds, but it's INCREDIBLY versatile with its own electronic sounds, and even has a fascinating on-line Microtonic patternarium - thousands of computer generated Microtonic presets available for royalty free use. You can listen to them directly online, download or copy any preset directly into your Microtonic. You can also participate in the rhythm evolution by voting on what you do and do not like.

https://soniccharge.com/patternarium

Martin

Very interesting! Might be a bit over my head, but there's a 3 week trial download. Def gonna check it out. Thanks!
erinasaboy
Poster

Postby Wonks » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:54 am

'ELO, 'ELO, 'ELO. I see what they did there.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:11 pm

I'm looking for a simple, cheap (or free) software drum machine/loop player to generate basic drum tracks in Reaper for demoing songs. When I record 'for real' it will be with a drummer (and I will probably play him the demo without the drums initially to see what he comes up with). Simplicity and basic editing of verse, chorus, mid 8 are the watchwords I just want something to give form to my guitaristic ramblings :D
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Alba » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:27 pm

How about the Manda Audio Power Dumkit, Sam? Sounds great, simple, flexible and free http://www.powerdrumkit.com/
Alba
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:16 am

I recently downloaded this. Have only had a quick play but initial feelings are very positive.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:52 am

Thanks guys I've got that and it does look very promising. Next problem is that I like to start by recording a guitar part (and not to a click). I'm now struggling to get the tempo map in Reaper to match the audio so I can add the midi drum track and it be in time........ It's proving much more complicated than I expected :headbang:

BTW I also found SL Drums 3 available for free download, that looks as if it has potential too. I'll maybe try it later if I find 'power drum kit' doesn't do what I want (though it's looking as if it will be more than I'll ever need).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby ReedySteadyGo » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:06 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:.... struggling .... Reaper ....complicated ....

3 words that always seemed to go together for me. :headbang:
ReedySteadyGo
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:21 pm

True but, possibly with the exception of 'Garage Band' they apply to all DAWs until you know them well. One man's 'intuitive' interface is another's 'impenetrable'..... :beamup:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby desmond » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:32 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:True but, possibly with the exception of 'Garage Band' they apply to all DAWs until you know them well. One man's 'intuitive' interface is another's 'impenetrable'..... :beamup:

It's a bit of a double-edged sword really - if you don't put buttons all over the interface, people complain that they can't find the features they need, or that they are missing - but if you *do* put buttons everywhere, people complain it's complicated and overwhelming.

All these tools are phenomenally complicated and powerful, they really require an investment of time and effort more than many people are willing to give, hence they only scratch the surface, and complain that the tools aren't "intuitive"... :protest: :headbang:
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Alba » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:10 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Thanks guys I've got that and it does look very promising. Next problem is that I like to start by recording a guitar part (and not to a click). I'm now struggling to get the tempo map in Reaper to match the audio so I can add the midi drum track and it be in time........ It's proving much more complicated than I expected :headbang:

BTW I also found SL Drums 3 available for free download, that looks as if it has potential too. I'll maybe try it later if I find 'power drum kit' doesn't do what I want (though it's looking as if it will be more than I'll ever need).

Mic up your shoe and tap your foot on the first beat of the bar as you're playing... then...

youll need some custom actions (like a macro)... i use two, the first i call 'marker it up'

it contains two actions;

1. move cursor to next transient in selected items
2. insert marker at current position

make that and assign a keystroke to it, select the audio track with the foot tap and repeat our keystroke unti;l youve reached the end of the song...

you shoul have a lorra lorra markers.

The next custom action i call 'tempo beat matcher'. It has four items.

1. time selection set start point
2. markers : next marker / project end
3 time selection : set end point
4. mrkers : create measure from time selection (detect tempo)

also make that and assign a keystroke.

now repeat your keystroke until you get to the end of the song.

set the project timebase to 'time' and cross fingers, your click should be playing along!

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/tempo-mapping
Alba
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:35 pm

Great thanks, I'll try that tomorrow. Hadn't thought of foot tapping, I have a stomper which will record a click. I did think my Gypsy Jazz rhythm would be crisp enough to work but maybe it isn't.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Next