You are here

Audio interface choice assistance

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Audio interface choice assistance

Postby deadstar1984 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:11 pm

Hello!

I am in the process of upgrading my home studio after 9 years. I already own an edirol fa 66 (firewire) audio interface that i purchased in 2009. I was looking into purchasing something like the focusrite 18i8 scarlett. My budget is under 500 dollars, i prefer usb connection and I am looking to simultaneously connect a keyboard, a microphone and a guitar at least. Is it worth it to switch from edirol fa 66 to a newer card like the focusrite scarlett 2nd gen or it will be a lateral move? Are there any good audio interfaces under 500 dollars that are considered an upgrade from the edirol fa 66.

Thank you in advance!
deadstar1984

Re: Audio interface choice assistance

Postby Sam Inglis » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:01 pm

Hi,

It'd probably be easier to give useful advice if we knew more about your situation. Are you using a Mac or a PC, and which version of the operating system are you on? What do you not like about the Edirol interface that you're currently using?
Sam Inglis
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby deadstar1984 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:36 am

Thank you for the reply! I am currently using a PC with windows 10. The main issue that I have with the edirol fa 66 is that it only has 2 inputs so i cannot have more than 2 instruments simultaneously connected ( Ideally i would like to connect simultaneously a keyboard, a microphone and a guitar) and also it does not have a dedicated headphone output that you can use independently from the main outputs. Sound wise I dont really have a problem with the card. I use mostly sound libraries and keyboards so the analog to digital converters are important but not essential regarding quality. Therefore my question is whether or not purchasing one of the "newer" audio interfaces like the scarlett 2nd gen will contribute to a better sound or it is a lateral move?
deadstar1984

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:23 am

The fa66 has 4 x analogue and stereo digital audio inputs plus midi which should allow you to do that with inputs to spare? Roland kit is pretty well respected so I'd say buying the Scarlett would only be an upgrade in that it moves you from FireWire which is pretty obsolete these days to USB which will make the transition to your next computer when you finally upgrade that.

Can't help re the headphone out though as I don't have the either Edirol or Scarlett AI. FWIW I'm pretty sure my Focusrite Saffire has direct monitoring from it's headphone output though.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........