You are here

Yamaha n12 weird issue. Can someone help?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Yamaha n12 weird issue. Can someone help?

Postby jjitter » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:39 pm

Hello everyone,

Just when I had the whole studio redone and the only thing I was waiting for is the measurement mic, my N12 Mixer suddenly let me down with a very peculiar problem which just doesn't get fixed. Was wondering if anyone has any clues about what might be the problem. The only way I can make this weird problem easy to understand is by making a list.

So here are the things that work -

1. Drivers install fine (Drivers and firmware are up to date)
2. Cubase recognises it, transport on N12 works with cubase, the cubase ready light comes on.
3. Can hear Cubase's LR through the mixer
4. Ins and outs of N12 show in the input/output routing section of audio tracks, and also in 'VST Connections'

Here are the things that don't work -

1. Even though I can hear Cubase's LR through the mixer, the levels cannot be controlled with the main Control Room Level knob on N12. But the main ST works to get the level down.

2. Even though the ins and outs show up in the audio tracks routing section and 'VST Connections' in Cubase, there is no sound when routing it to any mixer channels. (I did all the routings in VST Connections and flipped the switch to DAW on the channel strip.) The only way you can hear an audio track is if it is routed to 'N12-LR', with no control over levels as mentioned in the previous point.

I tried installing 2 versions of the Yahama Steinberg Driver, 3 fresh versions of windows on 2 computers, both the FW ports on both, the mixer and the N12. Nothing.

Can somebody please help me? I get a feeling this is going to be a long detour. :(

Thank you for listening.
jjitter
New here

Re: Yamaha n12 weird issue. Can someone help?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:45 pm

jjitter wrote:1. Even though I can hear Cubase's LR through the mixer, the levels cannot be controlled with the main Control Room Level knob on N12. But the main ST works to get the level down.

This is as it should be.

The control level knob only affects the analogue control room outputs.

The main stereo mix bus outputs are routed to the DAW on Firewire channels 15/16, and are derived after the mains stereo fader.

2. Even though the ins and outs show up in the audio tracks routing section and 'VST Connections' in Cubase, there is no sound when routing it to any mixer channels. (I did all the routings in VST Connections and flipped the switch to DAW on the channel strip.) The only way you can hear an audio track is if it is routed to 'N12-LR', with no control over levels as mentioned in the previous point.

The DAW returns are routed to the Channels via the DAW IN buttons, replacing the normal input channel (analogue) sources. Page 207 of the manual lists the (slightly nonsensical) assignment of Firewire I/O channels to the console's input channels.

https://media.americanmusical.com/ItemFiles/Manual/YAMN_mixer_manual.pdf
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: Yamaha n12 weird issue. Can someone help?

Postby OneWorld » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:32 pm

What I can add won't be much use, except I really liked this mixer except....

1. Unintuitive - for the reasons you describe. For me it sat there silent until I just happened to fall upon the right button and voila - I got a signal, and as Hugh suggests, am sure it is the DAW in button

2. No flying faders

If they had got flying faders and 16 audio i/o ala 01v96i, it would have been a gem of a mixer, and of course a simple part in the manual "To get a noise out of your DAW press this button"

I am assuming you have all the FW outputs activated in Cubase?

Going off at a tangent - Yamaha, seeing as there is quite a comprehensive Remote layer on the 01v96, why on earth did you leave transport controls off it yet put them on the N12?

Yes I understand the user buttons can be config'd to do the job, but as they are tiny buttons, they don't really do the job
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)