You are here

ZOOM H5 & Hissing sound

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: ZOOM H5 & Hissing sound

Postby acxrw » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:25 am

Well, I think that's taken care of my concerns all round - as the cliché goes, it is what it is. One just needs to find that sweet spot to hit, and a dash of NR.
acxrw
Poster

Postby acxrw » Tue May 19, 2020 5:29 pm

Just to come back to this thread, this workflow is still okay for me, although I'm having a hell of a time with the NT1/AI1 kit I bought! AND the NT1A and Scarlett Solo that I bought through panic because I thought both were duff! Getting horrible resonances and vibration on some words on recordings with those, probaly me though. Rolled back to this set up to get an audiobook out the door.

It will merit an advice (for me) thread all of its own when I get a sec. Levels too high probably. But I don't know.
acxrw
Poster

Postby James Perrett » Wed May 20, 2020 12:17 am

It is always worth posting a sample that illustrates the problem as we may be able to give you an idea of the best way to avoid it.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby acxrw » Wed May 20, 2020 10:31 am

Hello, James!

Alright and without tryng to jack my own thread then, what am I doing wroing here? Listen to the word 'ultimately'. This is the sort of resonance and distortion I'm getting using BOTH a Rode NT1/Ai1 and NT1A and A Scarlett Solo. Like I've said, both bits of kit can't be duff so there must be something I'm not doing right. The room is acoustically treated , 1in. foam, blankets, etc., but in no way sound*proof* and is 4ft x 3ft x 8ft.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7ddjjm2or7zov ... _.wav?dl=0

Again here, this time with the word 'follow'

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7ddjjm2or7zov ... _.wav?dl=0

I know little about spectrograms either but I'm sure below doesn't look right. Too many ripples? That's a spectrogram of he word 'follow' from the seond clip. To me it doesn't sound right and doesn't look right. Maybe it is and I'm giving myself other stuff to wind myself up about...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5qjsa2y4ywwl9 ... 9.png?dl=0

there are other examples I can find but they're sitting in folders in folder on another drive and I've got a book to get out the door so I might be ablte to find more later, but that the hell?! It's been driving me nuts and made me have to roll my workflow back to an earlier point. Which is not why I bought the mics!

I've been whining for help on an audio processing program forum, but I''m coming to realise it's more a *physical* issue

(also, I can'r seem to post images...)
acxrw
Poster

Postby zenguitar » Wed May 20, 2020 11:25 am

You can post images, but they are not hosted on our servers. You need to use an online image host like Flikr or Imgr. Host your image there and use the code links they provide to add the images to your posts here.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby acxrw » Wed May 20, 2020 11:37 am

thaks Andy, all the links are to dropbox, all the files are there.
acxrw
Poster

Postby Tim Gillett » Wed May 20, 2020 11:39 am

The two audio files appear to be the same "ultimately" file.
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby acxrw » Wed May 20, 2020 11:43 am

acxrw
Poster

Postby James Perrett » Wed May 20, 2020 11:57 am

Just listening to them the 'ultimately' sounds like a crossfade between two voices while the 'follow' sounds like you've backed off from the mic a bit but increased the level to compensate although this could also be a crossfade too.

Have you used any processing on these files?
James Perrett

Postby acxrw » Wed May 20, 2020 12:13 pm

None at all, I didn't move at all during those recordings! Odd, eh? On another board it's being laid out as a resonance issue from the mic sensitivity and the space.

The thing is. like I said up there, I've got toe differnt intercaes and mics int he space and getting simialr atrefacts with both, adn I can't be unlucky enough to have two brand-new bits of duff kit! So Mr Spock says logically it's got to be the space. But...
acxrw
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed May 20, 2020 12:29 pm

As you say is vanishingly improbable that you have two different faulty rigs so as you say it points strongly at the room being the culprit. Do you have the option to record in a different room? It might throw up different issues but might prove the present issue is room related.

Just a thought, could the resonances be due to reflections off the desk or monitor?

FWIW as an occasional consumer of audio books (and a live, as opposed to studio, sound guy) from the short examples you have shared I think you have done an excellent job with your readings.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby acxrw » Wed May 20, 2020 1:32 pm

Well, sam, thanks *very* much for saying! The thing is when you have to do things over and over again becase there's a weird ripple you didn't hear on cans you tend to get a bit beaten down; my current read sounds a lot flatter, I can assure you!

No desk, no monitor to speak of. The current setup is giving me good results (ref. OP, NTG1+H5). It's just me on a stool in a draped and foamed room (4x3x8) with some coats, (it's a coat room) with a duvet thrown over them behind me. In fom of me is the NTG1 in a shock mount on a monopod) Ipad for reading is on eyeline beyond mic. Bit tenty currently.

I've got a few days to take sare of this acurrent project so I'll look to that and then fiddle with space and stuff later.

Somewhat naively, I though just whacking up some acoustic fom and chucking a duvet over stuff would be alright with these other mics, I guess they're MUCH more sensitve. it doesn't help soundling like I do too; most of yesterday, I ws convinced some frequency in my voice was the resonant freq of the mic!
acxrw
Poster

Postby acxrw » Wed May 20, 2020 1:35 pm

Also, I'm typing very fast, so posts are littered with typos. Sorry all!
acxrw
Poster

Postby James Perrett » Wed May 20, 2020 1:35 pm

I haven't really followed the whole thread so it would be helpful if you could post your full signal chain including any software and drivers involved. Your room is fairly lively for a voiceover so the issue could be caused by slight head movements changing the sound but it would be worth checking that there's nothing in your system that could be messing things up.

One other thought - you do have all your system sounds switched off don't you. If the system is trying to play a notification then it could possibly cause an issue with the driver. And are you using ASIO drivers?
James Perrett

Postby acxrw » Wed May 20, 2020 1:47 pm

Hello, James.

I'm on a Mac running 10.11.6, I've been running a mic into an interface (either NT1 or NT1a into either a Rode AI1 or Focusrite Scarlett) that going into the Mac to record to Audacity (v2.3.3).

Currently using an NTG1 with a Zoom H5, recording straight to SD card and fidling the file as necessary after import into Audacity.

Please, what do you mean by a 'lively room'? Is it the background noise? Those files have had RMS normalisation applied to them as part of the audiobook prod chain, but I then run a gentle noise reduction to slim that down.

Setup instructions for both the Solo and the AI1 say to set the output audio of the mac to the device in question, I assume for monitoring.
acxrw
Poster

PreviousNext