You are here

Allen & Heath QU-16 is it 16 in/out usb interface or not?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Allen & Heath QU-16 is it 16 in/out usb interface or not?

Postby 4TrackMadman » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:18 pm

I am confused by the sales lingo, basically looking for a mixer with 16in/out via USB, this one seems to be that but I am not sure as it hints at external recording cards instead, etc...
Can someone confirm that this unit can do 16 tracks into DAW?
If it matters, I am using Studio One.
Thanks!
4TrackMadman
Frequent Poster
http://www.descentintomadness.com

Re: Allen & Heath QU-16 is it 16 in/out usb interface or not?

Postby James Perrett » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:32 pm

I don't own one but used one for some live recording a few weeks ago. In my case I used the USB slot on the top with a disk drive which gave me 18 individual channels but looking through the manual it shows that those same channels are also available as a USB interface which would have been my other option if I couldn't find a compatible disk drive (they're a bit fussy).

Hopefully MarkPAMan will show up shortly - he owns one.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby 4TrackMadman » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:09 am

Thanks,
I am really looking at that one or possibly the Yamaha 01V96I which is solid 16 usb channels but a bit older tech from what I can see.
4TrackMadman
Frequent Poster

Postby The Korff » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:10 am

According to the manual, the Qu-16 does indeed work as an interface (in addition to its direct-to-disk recording ability). It's apparently 24-out, 22-in (the larger Qu-series desks go up to 32-in/out).
The Korff
Frequent Poster

Postby 4TrackMadman » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:25 am

Thanks, I guess I'll have to verify with the manufacturer. I'd hate to spend that $ just to find out that it doesn't.
Honestly, I think I like the A&H pres in this price range the best, reason why I am looking at this.
The Yamaha is actually one that I've worked with and like a lot, so familiarity is a big plus, but it feels like it is old tech that might not be futureproof.
4TrackMadman
Frequent Poster

Postby OneWorld » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:31 am

4TrackMadman wrote:Thanks,
I am really looking at that one or possibly the Yamaha 01V96I which is solid 16 usb channels but a bit older tech from what I can see.

I too was looking at the 01v96i, as I had used an 01v96 up to a few years ago and liked how it integrated with Cubase, but why oh why, do these manufacturers that make mixing desk/interfaces not include transport controls? The only one I could ever find was the Tascam DM series along with the Firewire card, but of course wise to stay away from that desk as the LCD only lasts 5 mins and then you have to buy a new one at almost £200 a pop, typical TASCAM ripoff
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Postby 4TrackMadman » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:38 pm

Tascam now are on shaky ground IMO as part of the Gibson companies....you never know what the CEO would do to these next. I am afraid to get anything Tascam.
4TrackMadman
Frequent Poster