You are here

Advise - Simple Digital Delay Rack

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Advise - Simple Digital Delay Rack

Postby Jumpeyspyder » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:17 pm

Hi All,

After over 25 years service my Roland SDE-2500 delay has died. (all working except no sound at outputs) :frown:

I may try to get it repaired - but suspect it wont be economical.

I already have multi FX / Reverbs but I would like a more direct replacement
I'm looking for a simple digital delay with a modulation so it can do a nice delay with a 'chorusey' shimmer

Does anyone make anything currently? or do i need to search the secondhand market for a similar era delay ?

Thanks
Jumpeyspyder
Frequent Poster

Re: Advise - Simple Digital Delay Rack

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:39 pm

Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Jumpeyspyder » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:42 am

Thanks Hugh, nice product from TC but more advanced than I need right now - but will add to my 'like to have' list :)

I suspect, I really just want an 80s delay with no menu's, just quick and easy controls.

Opened up the SDE today and found two broken fuses but also suspiciously - no output from parts of the tranformer. Ordered spare fuses, fingers crossed that is all the problem - but suspect a new transformer will be required.
Jumpeyspyder
Frequent Poster

Postby ef37a » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:06 am

Jumpeyspyder wrote:Thanks Hugh, nice product from TC but more advanced than I need right now - but will add to my 'like to have' list :)

I suspect, I really just want an 80s delay with no menu's, just quick and easy controls.

Opened up the SDE today and found two broken fuses but also suspiciously - no output from parts of the tranformer. Ordered spare fuses, fingers crossed that is all the problem - but suspect a new transformer will be required.

Before you go ahead with a new transformer (assuming you can get one!) you could try 'crocking' in a battery supply? Maplin sell AA packs that can make 3,6,9 and 12V available. Even budget AAs will supply enough current to power the device for a few minutes in order to establish if there are other problems.

The usual 50Hz PSU path is >transformer> bridge>big caps, 2200-4700mfd* and one or two regulators depending on whether a single or dual supply rail (I suspect dual, two fuses) . You croc across the capacitors.

Do a lot of 'cold checks' first. Ohm meter on regulator outputs.

*The voltage rating will give you a clue as to the battery voltage needed. Say the caps are 16V then a 12V supply is indicated. If regulators are fitted, an even better clue as the input V needs to be about 3V above the reg' voltage.

Push comes to shove you could put a well rated toroid in a tin and fit a 5pin XLR! If you are lucky and it is a single supply, wall rat.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:34 am

Jumpeyspyder wrote:Thanks Hugh, nice product from TC but more advanced than I need right now

It's very good value for money, and available new for under £500. Yes, it can do a lot but you only need to use the functions you require! ;-)

Yes, the push-button control paradigm of the D-two is not quite as convenient for hands-on control... But the upside is that you can pre-programme favourite settings and then access those almost instantly.

You haven't said if the blown fuses are on the mains side of the transformer, or the low voltage side. If the mains side, then it's likely the transformer has gone short and will need replacement. If the LV side it's likely the power regulation side has failed, and that could easily mean the rest of the box is trashed too. Digital circuitry is usually quite fussy about operating voltages.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Jumpeyspyder » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:40 pm

Great idea using AAs for power, and checking cap values for correct voltage is inspired.

I can't find a circuit diagrams for the 2500 but sister products sde1000 & 3000 seem to have rails at 23.6v, 11v, 20v, 1.7v although the boards differ, roland use similar components so I'm expecting similar rail voltages.

I might try contacting Roland this week - maybe someone in servicing can confirm voltages ?
Jumpeyspyder
Frequent Poster

Postby Jumpeyspyder » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:05 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
You haven't said if the blown fuses are on the mains side of the transformer, or the low voltage side. If the mains side, then it's likely the transformer has gone short and will need replacement. If the LV side it's likely the power regulation side has failed, and that could easily mean the rest of the box is trashed too. Digital circuitry is usually quite fussy about operating voltages.

H

Fuses blown on low voltage side, main logic functions 'appear' to be working
I can recall user patches, change delay time etc. modulation circuit appears to be frozen and no signal registering on the meter or audio output apart from in bypass.

hoping problems are all on the the jack board (which seems to be mostly analog)

https://i.imgur.com/ofRun7w.jpg
Jumpeyspyder
Frequent Poster