You are here

Tracking down a USB cable

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Tracking down a USB cable

Postby ManFromGlass » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:21 pm

I have been searching for a USB-B to lighting cable. It's to connect the idevices to an iConnect interface. They only include 1 of these cables with the interface.
I can order one from them that works out to over $50 Cdn. I sourced one in Canada for $50 plus taxes. Depending which "genius " you speak to at the Apple Store they either do or don't carry them, but they are out of stock - call back next week.
Any suggestions as to websale places?
I am not looking for a gold plated oxygen free high frequency down the centre core assembled by virgins custom cable, just something simple. $50 seems excessive but perhaps it's a niche cable. :?
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster

Re: Tracking down a USB cable

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:13 pm

The other alternative is an "iPad camera connection kit" but that's £29.... I'd always prefer a single cable though. Can't the suppliers of the iConnect supply one?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby resistorman » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:44 pm

I bit the bullet and bought another specifically for the iConnect. I had tried other adapters, etc. but nothing else works, it seems. As an aside, the Audio 4+ might be the most confusing device I have ever encountered, but nothing else does what it does.
resistorman
Regular
future26.com

Postby jimjazzdad » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:23 am

I'll assume that's USB to Lightning (not "Lighting"). Up here in the Great White North, I'd recommend Monoprice. Select Series Apple MFi Certified Lightning to USB Charge & Sync Cable, 3ft Black for USD$ 3.95...with postal shipping that should be well south of CDN$20.00.
jimjazzdad
New here
Halifax, NS, CANADA

Postby ManFromGlass » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:08 pm

Damn Otto Korrekt! Yes, lightning. Thanks for the leads. (small pun intended)
The iConnect people want $41 USD plus shipping. And, yes, it can be a very confusing device in spite of its awesomeness. I almost have a handle on the routing, I've watched the youtubes over and over again and then sat down and traced the routing matrix slowly over and over again.
Why they would build a device that can give you amazing routing possibilities for two idevices and then give you only 1 cable, I don't know. I do know it's been rock solid in live performance and when I use it as an external fx unit with Logic. Off to search for the cable.

Update - Monoprice doesn't carry the Lightning to USB-b cable. So still searching. I may have to bite the bullet, cost of doing business and all that.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster

Postby resistorman » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:01 pm

Yes, it would be nice if they gave you a cable package option at purchase. I suppose most people use one iPad and a computer. Having bought another lightning cable, I found that running two iPads wasn’t really all I hoped it would be... maybe as Apple continues refining iOS 11 and app makers catch up it will become more straight forward.
resistorman
Regular
future26.com