You are here

Mixer ID in John Carpenter/Alan Howarth article

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Mixer ID in John Carpenter/Alan Howarth article

Postby nathanscribe » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:33 pm

Anyone able to ID the mixer(s) visible by the window in the photos of Alan Howarth's studio in this John Carpenter article?

https://www.soundonsound.com/people/john-carpenter

There are two: the upper looks like 16 track into 4 bus, the lower looks like 24 track, but I might be wrong; otherwise they look identical.

Any ideas?
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Re: Mixer ID in John Carpenter/Alan Howarth article

Postby The Korff » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:30 am

I like to think I'm good at this sort of thing, but I think I'm stumped... The year is a good clue though (1980), and the size of them tells me they're budget-y options of the time. The lower one could be a Tascam of some sort maybe? The kind they used to sell with their 8- and 16-track recorders?
The Korff
Frequent Poster

Postby The Korff » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:49 am

Aha! I've found it.

That, sir, is an Electro-Voice/Tapco 7416:

I'm not surprised I couldn't identify it easily, I know almost nothing about Tapco. Google tells me that they were founded in 1969 by Greg Mackie and Martin Schneider, bought by Electro-Voice in 1979, and then bought by Mackie (the company) in 2003. Mackie used the name for their 'budget' range for a few years, but the brand is now apparently dormant.

Cheers!

Chris
The Korff
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:49 am

Good spot that man! :clap: Excellent detective work. :thumbup: Take a pay rise! :lol:

I too thought the most likely option was a Teac/Tascam desk but couldn't find an appropriate candidate.

(And I've added the original article photo to the OP's post to make it easier to compare).

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby nathanscribe » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:24 am

Amazing! Thank you, this has satisfied my needs most excellently!

(Might I also mention the Roland CSQ-600 sequencer in the front of the studio shot above, for extra points... also what looks like a Mu-Tron phaser)

I turned up this old brochure for the 7416. Looks semi-modular, in that they appear to be made up of banks of 8 and a master section. Loving the blue VFD. Proper displays. Need more of those:

nathanscribe
Frequent Poster
I have no idea what I'm doing.