You are here

Understanding DAW wiring...

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Understanding DAW wiring...

Postby cykomiko » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:14 pm

Hi all,

I have been pottering with several DAWs for quite a while now. I have recorded a lot of stuff, so I am obviously able to get the basics out of them (midi, audio, effects, plug-ins...) , but I would like to get some knowledge about what I'd call (maybe it's not the right term) "wiring". I am a bit confused when it comes to understanding why so many outputs, how to use monitoring, how to make use of my audio interface software... Say in Ableton or Cubase, for instance, you can select all these different inputs/outputs for each track, sometimes mono or stereo... Why should you choose "master" instead of "ext. out"... Also, I don't know what to do with my audio interface software:it shows a lot of in/out, but I don't really understand it. Same with the DAWs audio config" panels that show tons of different settings, in/out... To me you need several ins for... your different inputs, and 1 out to get sound out!
So, does someone know of a post, article, pdf, that explains these basics to me? Obviously, as I record alone with a couple of audio instruments and a controller, I don't need to understand everything, but I generally like to know what I'm doing and why. I guess not having experience with a hardware studio in the past does not help...
Thanks for your help, and sorry if I posted this in the wrong section...
Chers,

Mika
cykomiko
New here

Re: Understanding DAW wiring...

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:44 pm

Which interface do you have (and which of the several is your DAW of choice)?

The purpose os multiple outputs is to allow you to rout signals to external fx or a hardware mixer. I use a Behringer X32 as my studio interface and mixer so use, typically, 16 inputs and 16 outputs, this allows me to mixdown on the desk and have several instrument mics and DI's permanently connected up.

If you are recording and mixing entirely 'in the box' then, as you say, you only really need one stereo output (though there are times when it is useful to have at least one more)
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby cykomiko » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:34 pm

Hey, thanks for replying so quickly. Your explanation already enlights me! I guess if I use only software, I don't need to route my individual signals to, say, individual hardware mixer tracks!

I use Ableton or cubase. Haven't decided which one I like most yet. Not really interested in Live's clip stuff though. What I need is something that records audio and has interesting midi instruments, which they both offer.
Fast track ultra for audio interface, a laptop, a akg p120, novation launchkey, everything packed in a tiny room :)

Other example of my questioning: Sometimes when I record in ableton, the sound I hear in my headphones is like "duplicated", as if two signals were playing at very short Interval. That also makes me think I might not "route" things properly.

Thanks again for your help.
cykomiko
New here

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:59 pm

That sounds like the direct monitoring sound (i.e. straight from the interface) is mixing with the same audio after it has passed throughout the computer. I use Reaper so can't help with Cubase specific stuff but make sure you're not passing tracks through while recording them (Reaper defaults to not replaying record active tracks).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby cykomiko » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:15 pm

Thanks again! Not sure I know how to do this but now I understand I'll manage to find out.
Cheers!
cykomiko
New here

Postby BJG145 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:48 pm

cykomiko wrote:Sometimes when I record in ableton, the sound I hear in my headphones is like "duplicated", as if two signals were playing at very short Interval.

There's a few things that could be...are you talking about recording audio, or MIDI, with virtual instruments...?
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby cykomiko » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:50 pm

I am talking about audio.
cykomiko
New here