You are here

Lav Mic selection that compares the Shure SM7B

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Lav Mic selection that compares the Shure SM7B

Postby sdancer75 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:51 pm

Hi again,

I am using Shure SM7B for my recordings inside my studio and I am really happy from this mic.

In a new project I need to record just 1-2 sessions outside my studio but inside the near space (actually just beside). The rest of the recodings will be done with the Shure SM7B.

I have also access to the rest of the equipment like sound cards, mic preams etc. I thought a lav mic like countryman B3 with direct cabling to the preamp.

My concerns are 1) Can the result be close enough to shure sm7b ? 2) To work are have no any noise protections and ambient noise maybe a problem. 3) What mic do you suggest taking in mind all above ?

Regards,
sdancer75
Regular

Re: Lav Mic selection that compares the Shure SM7B

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:38 pm

Why can't you use the SM7B, that's what I would do if at all possible.......

A lav is unlikely to sound similar to the Shure and most of the other suspects will have the same potential problems as the SM7.....
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby blinddrew » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:18 pm

Like Sam, I'm not sure why you wouldn't just stick to the SM7B? Or are you using it with a remote recording device that doesn't have the gain range?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby sdancer75 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:13 pm

blinddrew wrote:Like Sam, I'm not sure why you wouldn't just stick to the SM7B? Or are you using it with a remote recording device that doesn't have the gain range?

Hey ! Thanks for your answers !

I cant use the SM7B because the session will be recorded with a camcorder and I dont want the mic to be shown inside the footage. As you might already know this specific mic needs too much gain power to be used in distance ie with a mic stand. So I thought to use a gunshot mic or lavier mic

Regards,
sdancer75
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:05 pm

That makes sense, sadly I can't help with any suggestions about similar sounding lavaliers or shotgun mics. Unless you have access to some you can borrow you may just have to look at the specs and see what looks similar.
Of course you may well find that the difference in environment makes more difference than the microphone anyway...
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:34 pm

You're not going to find a lavalier or shotgun mic that sounds similar to an SM7b. They all employ different technology and they will be used in a totally different acoustic environment.

If -- and it's a really big if -- you can record in a very dead acoustic space, then the ambient background noise won't be too bad, in which case you might be able to achieve a similar-enough sound character with EQ.

But being practical about it, stuff recorded with a distant mic is always going to sound different to stuff recorded very close. So you need to find a way of shooting the material that takes that into account and either (a) makes a feature of it or (b) avoids the problem by replacing the location sound with overdubbed sound recorded on an SM7 elsewhere. From your description, the latter is probably the best approach.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:17 pm

What is it you are recording, a band/soloist performing a song (like a music video) or an interview? If the former then film him/them playing along/miming to a recording of the song and, as Hugh suggests, add the studio recording as the soundtrack. If it's an interview, does it really matter if it sounds different?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Wonks » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:45 pm

In addition, the Countryman B3 is an omnidirectional mic, not a cardioid like the Shure, so even when getting the mic close to the mouth (but off to one side) you are going to pick up a lot more ambient noise compared to the Shure. The good thing is that any ambient sound will be uncoloured, so will sound a lot more natural in that environment when shown along with video.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby sdancer75 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:17 am

Wonks wrote:In addition, the Countryman B3 is an omnidirectional mic, not a cardioid like the Shure, so even when getting the mic close to the mouth (but off to one side) you are going to pick up a lot more ambient noise compared to the Shure. The good thing is that any ambient sound will be uncoloured, so will sound a lot more natural in that environment when shown along with video.

Hi,

Thats true ! I used once the AKG CK99L and the result was a disaster. I sold it immediately. So as I expected there should be a huge different in accoustics for mic to mic but as a friend suggested above I can always use EQs for the final result. Thats good !

So my options are a 1) cardioid lav mic 2) a shotgun or 3) a headset dynamic mic (for receiving a little bit lesser ambient noise).

What to do you think it would be best for my case ? As I mentioned it will be just 1-2 sessions of presentetion footage with a green screen and I dont have the possibility to test before I buy !

Best Regards,
sdancer75
Regular

Postby Thunderbass1 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:36 am

From what I can gather of your situation I would hire a Schoeps CMIT. If you can frame the singer tightly it does produce a suprisingly tight and flattering voice quality. It can't change the laws of physics but does make a pretty good stab at it.. It is however teeth itchingly expensive to buy.
I used it here for the voice (gtrs were DI's)..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCWaMUTwIAs" target="phpbbpopup
Thunderbass1
Poster

Postby sdancer75 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:10 am

Thunderbass1 wrote:From what I can gather of your situation I would hire a Schoeps CMIT. If you can frame the singer tightly it does produce a suprisingly tight and flattering voice quality. It can't change the laws of physics but does make a pretty good stab at it.. It is however teeth itchingly expensive to buy.
I used it here for the voice (gtrs were DI's)..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCWaMUTwIAs" target="phpbbpopup

Hey man thank you for your suggestion but the price is too high for my budget!!!

I can not afford to pay more than $300-$400 for this mic!
sdancer75
Regular

Postby Wonks » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:30 am

He's talking about hiring a mic, not buying it. If this is a one-off , then hire makes more sense. If it's going to be fairly common from now on, then buying within your budget makes more sense.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby sdancer75 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:32 am

Wonks wrote:He's talking about hiring a mic, not buying it. If this is a one-off , then hire makes more sense. If it's going to be fairly common from now on, then buying within your budget makes more sense.

thanks but this is not an option :-(
sdancer75
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:23 am

HIRE! The man said, HIRE! :D I'm struggling to conceive of a situation where that wouldn't be a feasible option. :?:

But don't dismiss the idea of miming to a pre-recorded track too quickly. It has worked extremely well on countless music videos in the past and completely avoids any tonal-matching issues !

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:00 pm

Miming to a well rehearsed song (or playing along to it) is not to difficult but you haven't told us if that is what you will be filming yet? Lip syncing to speech is rather more difficult (but still doable).

That video Thunderbass1 linked to sounds almost close miked, and certainly much better than I would have expected from a live recording using a distant mic.

https://shootblue.tv/products/schoeps-cmit-5-u-microphone/
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Darren Lynch » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:15 pm

I'm not being entirely facetious when I say that whenever a SM7B appears in a photo or video, just about everyone coos "Cool, an SM7b". It's a serious looking piece of kit - are you sure it can't feature proudly in-shot?
Darren Lynch
Regular

Postby sdancer75 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:39 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:HIRE! The man said, HIRE! :D I'm struggling to conceive of a situation where that wouldn't be a feasible option. :?:

But don't dismiss the idea of miming to a pre-recorded track too quickly. It has worked extremely well on countless music videos in the past and completely avoids any tonal-matching issues !

H

I think its very difficult to do the lip sync (camera front of the face) but as you said its not unachievable !
sdancer75
Regular