You are here

Mutator switch replacement

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Mutator switch replacement

Postby SFGreen » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:25 am

Just went to use my MUTRONICS Mutator for the first time in a little while and my LFO Waveform 4-position switch is not working. It rotates around without hitting the notches for the 4 waveforms and does not change from the triangle wave it is stuck on.

I haven't removed the old switch from the case yet to see any markings (resistance rating or whatever is appropriate), but was wondering if anyone could give me a little advice ahead of time. What is the key thing I need to know about replacing a switch like this or will any 4-position switch do? Also, does anyone know of a good supplier for a switch like this.

Thanks!
SFGreen
Poster

Re: Mutator switch replacement

Postby SFGreen » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:43 am

So I was doing a little bit of searching on the interwebs, and it seems like one variable is number of "poles" on a switch. It looks like more poles are necessary for a MBB (make-before-break) switch, which I assume I wouldn't want in this situation. So a 2 pole, 4 position switch with the correct resistance would be what I want?

This is what it looks like from the front. I'll take it apart tomorrow and get at the switch itself.

SFGreen
Poster

Postby SFGreen » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:24 am

Also, found this in the meantime. The circle shows the switch I need to replace (not my unit, just a found photo).

SFGreen
Poster

Postby ef37a » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:20 am

Most likely you are going to have to find an exact replacement for that switch, it is not the usual 'Maplin' rotary.

You could be lucky and find a mnfctrs code on it, but be warned, removing that switch is not for the faint heated or unexperienced. That looks like double sided print (tracks under switch) and it is all too easy to bugger it beyond repair, especially if the PCB is of the cheaper 'prosumer' quality. Does not look like high grade glass fibre FR4 to me?

All the above points to a specialized repair tech.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:36 am

SFGreen wrote:Just went to use my MUTRONICS Mutator for the first time in a little while and my LFO Waveform 4-position switch is not working. It rotates around without hitting the notches for the 4 waveforms and does not change from the triangle wave it is stuck on.

Are you sure the switch is broken?

Could it simply be that the knob fixing has worked lose and the knob is spinning on the switch shaft? That's quite a common problem.

There are a couple of common knob-fixing techniques. one uses small embedded grub screws in the sides oi the knob -- look for one or two small Allen sockets or slot-head screws on the sides of the knob and tighten when then knob is located in the correct switch orientation! The other uses a nut hidden under the top cap of the knob. Price off the top cap carefully to reveal the nut, then use a suitable tubular spanner to tighten.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound