You are here

Behringer output

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Behringer output

Postby Robin B » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:42 am

I did all the reading and took the plunge.

An opportunity came up to buy an ex demo / "repacked" Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 2nd generation via ebay for around half the current rate for new on eBay. It seems to have everything everyone has mentioned and more . . . . . .

Only a 30 day warranty but the vendor has 100% rating. And they are a music shop based in Melbourne so it's in the same country :)

Thanks for everyone's input - again very much appreciated.

Now I need to look for a decent large cardiod microphone to use in a studio setup - was looking at the Behringer C1 but I guess I should keep looking around ;)
Robin B
Poster

Postby ef37a » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:54 am

I don't know the consumer law in your 10/20 Robin but in UK 're-packed/demo/grade B goods have to retain the normal warranty, your statutory rights cannot be reduced so you get the standard 12 months.

If the 214 works ok out of the box you would be very unlucky to have it fail, ever but an email to Focusrite might clarify the situation?

Microphone suggestions I shall leave to my youngers and betters but I DO like the look of those SE SDCs in the March mag!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Robin B » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:02 am

Thanks Dave - yes that did occur to me. I think it would be the same as the UK. The vendor is apparently an "ebay store" but all the same I did wonder about the warranty issue. I don't think they can offer something less than the statutory rights.

If I can register the device to get access to the software etc then hopefully it'll have the normal warranty as well. I am sure all will be revealed in time :)

Once I get the device here I'll email Focusrite with the serial number and other details and see what they think.

Hmm . . . . . the SE series mics do look nice but my bank balance may not agree . . . . . . . .
Robin B
Poster

Postby ef37a » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:53 am

"Hmm . . . . . the SE series mics do look nice but my bank balance may not agree . . . . . . . ."
??
You were thinking about an LDC. The Se 8s are £300 a matched pair which is arguably ball park/starting point for a decent LDC and the SDCs will be way more versatile. I would bet they do VO pretty well as well?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:08 am

Bear in mind Dave that a Behringer C1 is about £50 and I think you'll have a better idea of the OP's budget :)
At which point you are probably best looking second hand again. On the positive side, LDCs tend to be fairly well looked after (in my experience) as they don't go out and about much and tend to get used in fairly safe environments.

[EDIT] If you have any mates/aquaintances who are into recording it's always worth asking if they have anything kicking around that they no longer use. A budget LDC is often an early purchase and is frequently therefore an early upgrade. I'm just looking at my mic drawers and there's sE2200 sitting there that I never use anymore and would happily sell on. Sadly the shipping may be prohibitive in your particular case! :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby ef37a » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:36 am

blinddrew wrote:Bear in mind Dave that a Behringer C1 is about £50 and I think you'll have a better idea of the OP's budget :)
At which point you are probably best looking second hand again. On the positive side, LDCs tend to be fairly well looked after (in my experience) as they don't go out and about much and tend to get used in fairly safe environments.

[EDIT] If you have any mates/aquaintances who are into recording it's always worth asking if they have anything kicking around that they no longer use. A budget LDC is often an early purchase and is frequently therefore an early upgrade. I'm just looking at my mic drawers and there's sE2200 sitting there that I never use anymore and would happily sell on. Sadly the shipping may be prohibitive in your particular case! :)

Yes but, I took the impression that he wanted to go better than the C1? In that case he is really looking £150-£300 for any significant improvement?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:05 pm

Agreed, £150ish takes you to Rode NT1A standard, along with plenty of competition from MXL, sE, etc. A nudge more takes you into AKG, STC and even Lewitt territory.
All depending on your local suppliers of course... ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Robin B » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:13 pm

Indeed - I am looking at mics such as the AT2020, Behringer B1 / C1 and the Samson CO1.

I know you get what you pay for but at this stage I believe that almost any of those would be sufficient.

I can't really justify spending any more at the moment. I actually have a pair of working Sony ECM-18Ns that I have had for 40 years or so - which could be fun to resurrect. Maybe as a second mic . . . . . . . . or not.
Robin B
Poster

Postby Robin B » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:50 am

Decisions made and items purchased.
Awaiting delivery.
Focusrite 2i4 and AT2020 with AT8458.
Thanks to all for suggestions and help :)
Much appreciated.
Robin B
Poster

Postby blinddrew » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:18 am

:thumbup:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Previous