You are here

Behringer output

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Behringer output

Postby Robin B » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:12 am

Hi all - I am thinking of buying a Behringer mixer for home studio use. I understand that it comes with an option to download some DAW software from Tracktion. My question is once the output from the Behring has been recorded can any of the parameters of the individual tracks be changed / edited etc.
Thanks for any info.
Robin
Robin B
Poster

Re: Behringer output

Postby The Korff » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:54 am

On some Behringer USB mixers you can record each of the tracks individually, but on others you can't. Which model were you thinking of?
The Korff
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Robin B » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:07 am

Ah ok - thanks - I hadn't even thought of the USB versions.
At this stage I am probably looking at the BEHRINGER Xenyx 802 or the BEHRINGER XENYX 1202FX.
Not after anything too complex - yet.
Robin B
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:04 pm

I'm pretty sure they only have stereo USB but if you record no more than two things at a time to build up your songs they can work as a recording interface. USB outputs usually mirror the main L/R outputs on small mixers so whet you record will have any eq you use printed to 'tape'. You can then apply eq, dynamics and fx to each track and mix them down to a stereo master within Traction or whatever DAW you choose.

If you want to record more than two instruments at a time (or a whole band) you'll need a mixer or interface with more channels. The minimum for a three piece 'power trio' for example is 4 plus vocals (though they can be added later) but if you use amp sims for the electric guitar you can manage with two mic inputs for kick and overhead and two line/instrument inputs.

What kind of music are you planning to record, and with a band or you playing all the parts yourself?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby blinddrew » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:40 pm

Sam's pretty much got it covered but it's worth bearing in mind that the 1202FX only transmits data at 16-bit rather than 24bit. I think there are alternatives out there now that do 24 bit transfer for a very similar amount of cash. I'm sure someone will be along with a recommendation shortly.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Robin B » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:31 am

Thanks everyone lots of good information :) I am a photographer venturing into video and sound recording - with and without video. So I'll be behind the mic - not performing.

At the moment I'll be recording a vocalist and guitarist and I assumed I'd be recording one at a time. We may add a bass guitar and a harmony from the vocalist later. Not planning on using more than two mics at a time anyway.

Sam - thank you - it looks like the 1202FX has 4 XLR inputs but I guess that doesn't mean they can be recorded on separate tracks. How does the bit rate affect things?

My preference would be to record each track with no EQ or FX and then add that later as necessary. Maybe I don't need a physical mixer at all - just phantom power - and a preamp - especially as all the EQ and FX could theoretically be done in DAW and in post.

I have a Saramonic SR-PAX2 which I'll be using with the camera for recording other sound on location - not music though. It has 2 XLR inputs and phantom power available. Maybe that would be enough.
Robin B
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:58 am

You'll need some kind of audio interface to get the audio converted into digital and into the computer DAW. If the budget is sufficient I'd buy a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (£129 in the UK). It gives you two mic inputs which can accept line or instruments and connects to the computer via USB.

The bit rate is important 'cos it governs how much headroom you have and 24 bit allows you to record at a much lower level without compromising the quality of the end result.

What mics do you have? For recording guitar and vocals a couple of cardioid condensers are probably the best option. The vocal will need a pop shield if you close mic so a dedicated vocal mic might be a better choice. I have SE-H1 but there are many others out there.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby The Korff » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:22 am

This: http://www.musictri.be/Categories/Behri ... 04/p/P0AB2

...has 4 mic preamps, and can record them all individually to a computer, along with a bunch of the line inputs — it can record 16 individual tracks at a time to a computer (or even direct to a USB drive). I've used the larger 1604 version and it's surprisingly great!

Google tells me the above is going for just north of 300 quid at the mo...

Cheers,

Chris
The Korff
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby blinddrew » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:47 pm

As Sam suggests, it sounds like you need an interface rather than a mixer.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Robin B » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:19 am

Thank you all for the extra information. It is very much appreciated.

I think I need to keep the budget down a bit at this stage so 24 bit is probably not an option :(

The Behringer Q802USB looks like a very good option for the price and will do what I want - especially as I'll probably be going with the Behringer C1 large cardiod mics - again keeping the budget in mind.

And yes to the pop filter.

From the many reviews and product descriptions I have watched and read I also get the impression that only the USB version has an A/D converter on the output.

Having said that I only saw one reference to A/D conversion in one Youtube video - maybe it is assumed knowledge? My laptop - where I'll have Audacity or Tracktion - does not have a line input so a USB connection is probably a good thing anyway.
Robin B
Poster

Postby ef37a » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:17 am

Robin, do NOT go for a 16 bit USB mixer! A bit of reading will tell you that 16 bits is more than adequate for very good sound reproduction ( e.g. CD, the fact that studios smash everything into the top 6dB is by the by!) BUT! 16 mixer are not nearly as good as CD. Their basic noise level is around -80dB, well short of CD's 90+ but even worse than that they produce 'spiky' artifacts. If recording a band in a noisy pub, ok but not for most 'quiet and clean' recording.

I would strongly suggest a proper interface. The Behringers do get a good rep (DO get one soon SoS!) but I usually suggest the Steinberg UR22 as one of the best of the £100 ish AIs.

Now, I have no idea if MIDI has any use or connection to video but it adds peanuts to the cost of an AI and might just be handy?

Do consider Reaper as your DAW but also investigate MAGIX Samplitude Pro X Silver, only 8 tracks at a time but completely free.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Robin B » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:29 am

Hmmm - ok thanks Dave.
Looking at reviews as I type.
Midi not so much but connection to video maybe :)
I'll look at those DAWs as well.
:)
Robin
Robin B
Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:45 am

Hi Robin, me again, with hopefully a less cryptic comment this time...
As Dave said, for recording I would really avoid the cheap mixers. They're fine for mixing live (I have a 1202 myself), or consolidating multiple inputs to a stereo output, but the recording side really is noticeably worse than comparably priced interfaces.
So it really comes down to what you want to do. Is it recording multiple sources at once / recording a live session somewhere? Or is it track by track recording to build up a song?
If it's the former then you're probably best delaying until you've got a bit more cash in the bank, or finding someone local to hire from (or getting a student from a music college to get involved?)
If it's the latter then have a look at the interface options, Behringer's u-phoria range are within your budget and seem to be going down well. A little more opens up the market a bit to Focusrite, Steinberg and Tascam options as well.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Robin B » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:18 am

Thanks Andrew,
I'd say mostly track by track recording to build up a song.
Almost certainly not a multi mic setup - I am recording in my photographic studio - with suitable acoustic screens - where two is company - plus me - and three is a crowd :)
I am looking at the Steinberg that Dave suggested but also a friend has a Focusrite Scartlett that he will lend me so that might answer a few questions :) - or cause a few more.
At least I believe it is a 24 bit device.
I am in Australia by the way which is largely academic but might explain the time shift in my responding :)
Thanks again.
Robin
Robin B
Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:29 am

Excellent idea in borrowing the Scarlett, having a play with that will let you know everything you need to know. Fundamentally though, at the bottom end of the market, there's next to no difference in the quality of the sound with interfaces, so find one in your budget that has all the inputs and outputs you need (they mostly come with some kind of free DAW bundled in as well) and take it from there.
P.S. again echoing Dave's point, have a look and see if if there's something in your price range with a MIDI input as well. You may not think you need it now (I didn't when I bought my Scarlett) but having it there further down the line can be very useful (I bought a set of e-drums with a midi out, for example).
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Robin B » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:32 am

Excellent - thank you.
I have a lot of reading to do and Youtube videos to watch :)
Robin B
Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:48 am

For background stuff, here's a great video on digital audio: https://xiph.org/video/vid2.shtml
There's a huge amount of information passed in a very short time, but it cuts through a lot of the rubbish that you may hear along the way elsewhere.
If you learn well from reading, I'd have a look for a copy of Mike Senior's books: Recording Secrets for small studios, and the companion Mixing Secrets.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Robin B » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:51 am

Thank you - I'll check it all out in the next day or two.
Robin B
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:39 am

Another +1 for not buying a 16 bit interface for all the reasons given above but mainly because, while 16 bit is indeed good enough for CD quality, recording a live performance you will probably have to deal with a much wider dynamic range than would be encountered on a CD (which has been mixed and mastered to reduce any extremes dynamics at the very least). Recording is almost universally better done at 24 bit and the available dynamic range is much much higher, enough to remove any need to risk clipping.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:45 pm

All good stuff. I am pleased the MIDI mention was not dismissed out of hand? As I say, no idea what part it might play with video but you can control a lot of stuff in software with quite a basic MIDI controller.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Next