You are here

precious vinyls

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

precious vinyls

Postby CeruttiA » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:16 pm

I am asking because some of you guys really know about technology and materials !

I have a collection of precious Jazz vinyls by ECM, some of them 3 years old. What is the best way to clean them ? I would like to achieve as pure sound as possible - please help me.

Thank you

alexander ( Paris)
CeruttiA
Poster
Paris, France
- passionate by sound. Equipment: Rogers LS 5/8 / Audio Research SP11

Re: precious vinyls

Postby James Perrett » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:47 pm

It depends on what the dirt is. If it is just dust I'd gently use a microfibre cloth while the record is turning on the turntable moving the cloth from the centre outwards.

Anything more than that and I'd be looking at a proper Keith Monks or Moth record cleaning machine (and changing my storage system so that they didn't get dirty again).
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby CeruttiA » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:53 pm

James Perrett wrote:It depends on what the dirt is. If it is just dust I'd gently use a microfibre cloth while the record is turning on the turntable moving the cloth from the centre outwards.

Anything more than that and I'd be looking at a proper Keith Monks or Moth record cleaning machine (and changing my storage system so that they didn't get dirty again).

i do not have the budget for the 400 € machine. Any cheaper methods that are proven to work

thank you for your advice
CeruttiA
Poster
Paris, France
- passionate by sound. Equipment: Rogers LS 5/8 / Audio Research SP11

Postby resistorman » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:26 pm

I used to wash them with dish soap and cold water in the sink, using a record cleaning brush. Air dry in a clean dish rack. Can be damaging to some paper labels, but all I cared about was the music.

But here’s a less reckless method: https://blog.freepeople.com/2015/03/cle ... l-records/
resistorman
Frequent Poster
future26.com

Postby resistorman » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:09 pm

BTW, that formula in the link is what the record shop I sublet to used in their cleaning machine.
resistorman
Frequent Poster
future26.com

Postby James Perrett » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:39 pm

The problem with washing and then letting them dry in the air is that you may leave a residue - especially if your water has a high mineral content like ours does. That's why a good cleaning system will vacuum the liquid away.
James Perrett

Postby James Perrett » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:43 pm

resistorman wrote:But here’s a less reckless method: https://blog.freepeople.com/2015/03/cle ... l-records/

Then they grind them to dust with a Crossley turntable - what a waste of time.
James Perrett

Postby Watchmaker » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:10 pm

James Perrett wrote:
Then they grind them to dust with a Crossley turntable - what a waste of time.

I've recently begun thinking about getting a turntable - what would you recommend in the under 500 class? pound, euros, or dollars, whatever you're used to, I can do the exchange rate without blowing a gasket.
Watchmaker
Regular
"one feels most reassured hearing an expert's opinions on the matter..."

Postby James Perrett » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:19 pm

I'm a bit out of touch with the current turntable market as I'm fairly happy with the old turntables that I've had for a while (Garrard 401, Lenco L75 and Sansui SR222). Plenty of people seem to like the Project range on a budget while others recommend Rega at a slightly higher price point. Personally I'd look at some of the Japanese turntables from the 70's and 80's (Sansui SR2x2, Trio/Kenwood KD1033, Pioneer PL112 etc) which used to be good value for money as they'd fallen out of fashion but even these seem to command higher prices these days.
James Perrett

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:43 pm

I still have my Sansui 222 somewhere (fitted with an Ortofon cartridge). I spent two years reading HiFi magazines and building a HiFi system, I ended up with the Sansui turntable, a Sugden A48 amplifier and a pair of KefKit 3 speakers (basically kit built Kef Concertos). Then I stopped listening to HiFi and started listening to music again (and have never bought another HiFi magazine since) :D .

The KefKit 3's have been dismantled and the drivers and crossovers, barring one failed B139, are gathering dust. The Sugden has had a recent overhaul and will return to service in the 'editing suite' (a desk in my dance teacher wife's office) with the turntable and whatever speakers are available in the near future.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby James Perrett » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:18 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:I still have my Sansui 222 somewhere (fitted with an Ortofon cartridge).

Oddly enough mine is also fitted with an Ortofon - an FF15E.
James Perrett

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:08 pm

Can't remember what my Ortofon is but I'll check when I find the deck.... The one I bought was considered the 'best in class' when I bought mine though so I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same one you have.......
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:14 pm

Bugger, you've got me all hankering after a proper turntable setup now...... But that involves tidying the workshop so I can make space for the detritus that is cluttering up the office, moving said clutter out of the office, making space on the appropriate desk and the moving all my wife's audio gear (multiple minidisk decks, CD recorders and cassette decks) down there then teaching her to use the reconfigured setup..........

Oh and adding a tieline to my Focusrite Saffire Pro24/Mac Pro/Reaper rig on the opposite side of the room so I can transfer my old vinyl.........
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:37 pm

I'm on my second Thorens turntable in 44 years. Excellent, not cheap, though.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.

Postby blinddrew » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:33 am

Funnily enough, I too have a Sansui turntable...
On the more modern front though, i'd second the recommendations for Project and Rega. I looked around for my Dad recently and ended up with a Project.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:57 am

I'll third the recommendations for the Project decks and tone arms. Good value and good sound quality at the budget end of the market. Rega decks are a little better more up the price a bit.

But if you look around the pre-loved market you can often find pretty nice 'high-end' decks from the 70s and 80s going for a song. Most need some TLC to restore them to original spec (cleaning, lubrication, new drive belts, tone arm realignment, new cartridge etc) but requiring nothing beyond careful DIY skills.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Zukan » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:35 am

If they are country and western I hear an open flame works wonders. If anything else then soap and luke warm water work.
Zukan

Postby John Willett » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:04 pm

I normally use a carbon fibre anti-static record brush on the turntable.

Maybe something like this

Back in the day, I also sometimes used a special cleaning fluid - unfortunately I forget what it was called, or if it still exists - but you sprayed it onto the record and left it to set.

When set, you peeled it off as a single sheet with all the dust and contaminents sticking to it.

It left the record pristine and, at a very low cost, cleaned a record close to the qulaity of a Keith Monks cleaner.

Oh - not sure if they still so it - but Keith Monks Audio used to have a cleaner at the Bristol HiFi show and would clean records for a small price.

And the Bristol HiFi show is TODAY !
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
President - Federation Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons

Postby Wonks » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:11 pm

It was probably a highly carcinogenic fluid.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby Watchmaker » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:37 pm

Wonks wrote:It was probably a highly carcinogenic fluid.

All the best things are bad for you.
Watchmaker
Regular
"one feels most reassured hearing an expert's opinions on the matter..."

Next