You are here

Can I run UAD plug-ins on Satellite without UA interface?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Can I run UAD plug-ins on Satellite without UA interface?

Postby Wonks » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:18 pm

desmond wrote:The Apollo has only been around a few years, but UAD DSP has been around a couple of decades... :)

Well, since late 2001, so still 3 and a bit years to go for two decades.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby CS70 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:19 pm

Forum Admin wrote:Thanks everyone.

Told you it was a silly question. Now I know it can be done.

Just to make things more fun - it works also the other way: my main interface is an RME but I use UAD plugins, so I got myself an Apollo Twin Duo for that. I really wanted a Satellite but the Duo was a far less expensive proposition. So you can use also a regular interface simply as a DSP-running platform.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby desmond » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:57 pm

Wonks wrote:
desmond wrote:The Apollo has only been around a few years, but UAD DSP has been around a couple of decades... :)

Hence the "around" bit... ;)
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Wonks » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:29 pm

desmond wrote:
Wonks wrote:

Hence the "around" bit... ;)

Then there should really have been two arounds for around to mean around rather than around. ;)
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:30 pm

Better still, just get a round in. Mine's a pint!
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby solidwalnut » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:22 pm

CS70 wrote:
Just to make things more fun - it works also the other way:...

If I am hearing you correctly, you mean that it works only for you during recording, but not mixdown? I understand that all that's needed is the DSP to be anywhere, but the Apollo interface uses UAD DSP to process and then converts to analog-only out, correct?

I hope I'm wrong!

Thanks.
solidwalnut
Life's too short to think you're all that.

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:23 pm

Just to confirm what Hugh said I had a satellite as well as an Apollo back when they were giving satellites away free if you bought an Apollo. I had both on my iMac but as an experiment tried running the satellite alone on my Macbook Air. Plugins worked fine in Logic, no issues at all.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Postby santellavision » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:14 pm

I am asking a similar question. I run Pro Tools 12 with an Apogee Element 24 I/O Interface. All works perfectly. I just bought the UAD-2 Accelerator to run more and better plugins.

My issue is, I just bought the UA Friedman Guitar Plug-in and it only seems to want to run within the UA Console App. You can't run it in real-time directly in Pro Tools, it has to be used in the UA Console App.

The problem is, I can't figure out how to get the UA Console App to find the Apogee 24 I/O as an input. So, my question is... do you HAVE to own a UA Apollo or similar UA brand I/O?

If this is true, then UA need to state that you CANNOT run this Plug-in unless you have their own I/O Interface.

I just emailed UA and they haven't gotten back to me.
Anybody have any info to help me confirm this?
Thx
santellavision

Postby desmond » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:09 am

santellavision wrote:My issue is, I just bought the UA Friedman Guitar Plug-in and it only seems to want to run within the UA Console App. You can't run it in real-time directly in Pro Tools, it has to be used in the UA Console App.

Are you saying it's not available as a regular plugin to put on an audio track? That's unusual, as I would have thought all UA plugins can be used as conventional track plugins. I just checked here and in Logic I can pull up any of the Friedman plugins and they behave just as regular plugins.

santellavision wrote:The problem is, I can't figure out how to get the UA Console App to find the Apogee 24 I/O as an input.

The Console app is for Apollo audio interfaces only. It's effectively the audio interface's mixer front end. You can't use it without an Apollo.

santellavision wrote:So, my question is... do you HAVE to own a UA Apollo or similar UA brand I/O?

No, the Friedman plugin is stated as requiring *either* an Apollo or UAD-2 DSP card.

santellavision wrote:If this is true, then UA need to state that you CANNOT run this Plug-in unless you have their own I/O Interface.

Well, I don't have an Apollo, and I can run it fine.

Note though, that this is only practical when inserting the plugin on playback. You can't really *record* through *any* UAD plugin because of the inherent latency in a DSP based system, which is much higher than regular plugins because of the DSP roundtrip to shuffle the audio to the card, get it processed, and then returned to the host.

This is a big reason why the Console app was developed, as with Apollo interfaces, they have a custom low latency system to get the audio processed via plugins with Console *before* being sent to the host, which minimises the latency and makes realtime tracking through these plugins workable. Without an Apollo, UAD plugins should be really regarded as mix-only plugins, because of the high latency.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Watchmaker » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:37 am

Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Postby santellavision » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:26 pm

Thanks everyone for the replies.

First, I cannot get the Friedman plugin to show up in my Pro Tools plugin list. It does show up in the Console plugin list. Someone here said it will show up, weird, I don't see it.

So, bottom line, it sounds like you cannot track with the Friedman plugin in realtime without Apollo hardware. Sucks for me as I don't have that I/O. I am going to ask for a refund as they don't specifically say you MUST have both the UAD2 AND APOLLO hardware.

Thanks again for the help.
santellavision

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:24 pm

santellavision wrote:First, I cannot get the Friedman plugin to show up in my Pro Tools plugin list.

Are you sure the plugin is located in a directory where Pro Tools is looking for plugins?

Are you sure Pro Tools has refreshed its plugin directory after you installed the Friedman plugin?

So, bottom line, it sounds like you cannot track with the Friedman plugin in realtime without Apollo hardware. Sucks for me as I don't have that I/O. I am going to ask for a refund as they don't specifically say you MUST have both the UAD2 AND APOLLO hardware.

You definitely don't need both devices; the plugin will run on any UAD DSP accelerator platform -- I don't have an Apollo myself either, but I can run the Friedman quite happily on my own UAD-2 Quad PCI card.

As to whether you can track through the plugin in real time... that depends on how you've configured Pro Tools. Although it should certainly be possible to set things up so that you can hear (and record) yourself playing through the plugin, if you're using UAD's Satellite or PCIe DSP accelerator the latency involved might be too long to make a good performance viable.

One advantage of the Apollo interface hardware is that the DSP engine is integrated directly into the interface itself, which avoids the latencies involved in running audio into the computer and back out to the DSP. The Apollo interfaces also has the 'Unison Preamp' feature whereby suitable preamp plugins -- including the Friedman -- can automatically configure the hardware's input impedance to better match the modeled hardware.

However, while configurable input impedance might be nice to have, it's not essential. Just plug into your existing interface using the high-impedance input as usual.

Finally, the Friedman plugin was developed by Brainworx, and they also sell other versions of Friedman amps which run as standard native AAX/AU/VST plugin for use in systems without a UAD-2 hardware accelerator which also suggests there is no inherent requirement for the Apollo hardware.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby G-Doubleyou » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:18 pm

The Friedman supports the unison preamp features, that match the impedance on the hi-z inputs of an Apollo. ( sometimes you hear relays clicking to set up the resistive network.)
All processing is done before the signal reaches your DAW.

You should be able to use the plug in your Daw channel strip.

I do it all the time on tracks I've already recorded.

:thumbup:
G-Doubleyou
Frequent Poster
G-Dub Studio G-fx 2011 15inch 2.0GHz quad-core i7 Macbook Pro, LPX 10.3.2
2.3 GHz quad-core i7 Mini

Postby stavrakas » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:46 pm

Forum Admin wrote:Thanks everyone.

Told you it was a silly question. Now I know it can be done.

Another Yes from me. Have been running UAD Sat 2 Quad Firewire on my Win d/top, RME UFX+ for years with no issues whatsoever. Also have been running same system on t/bolt enabled Win laptop (connected via thunderbolt adaptor cable).

Stavros
stavrakas
Poster

Previous