You are here

Tracking With Expensive Pre-Amps

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Tracking With Expensive Pre-Amps

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:29 pm

Yes, for those interfaces that have a bunch of line-only inputs, they will have the typical op-amp with 4x10k resistor setup that Dave mentioned earlier -- a simple unity-gain line buffer, in effect.

But for those that have combi-XLRs or mic/line inputs with separate mic and line sockets, they generally pad the line input down by 20-30dB and then pass it through the mic preamp.

But with modern op-amps and low-noise transistor arrays, running at just 20-30dB of gain, the noise performance will be more than good enough even for 95% of 'critical' applications, and the distortion will be 0.005 or less and completely irrelevant.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby blinddrew » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:27 pm

Cheers Hugh, figured that would be the case. I never expect to be in a situation where it will matter, :) just curious.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby dickiefunk » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:31 pm

This thread has been helpful as I have a Focusrite Saffire Pro 24DSP interface which is quite a capable little box. I also have an Audient Mico which I connect via Toslink to the Saffire and this works great but I need another channel on top of the Mico and Saffire pre's. I have two spare line inputs on the Saffire and I'm intending to buy something with a little more character to its sound like the WARM WA73 or TB12. I was worried that the line inputs on the Saffire interface would either add noise or mask the tone of an external preamp but after reading this thread it looks like it won't?
dickiefunk
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:35 pm

Go for it!
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Previous