You are here

Behringer B5 omni and cardioid

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Behringer B5 omni and cardioid

Postby forumuser915213 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:44 pm

I bought a pair of Behringer's B5s some years ago after your hearing sound samples online that seemed quite impressive.

Over time, I've come to use the omni capsules from time to time, mainly for recording carol singing. In that sort of role they work well and sound quite natural, I think.

However I haven't been happy with the cardiod capsules, which seem to me to have a gritty quality that might be a kind of distortion. The sound source I've used has generally been small accordions and concertinas at a distance of a foot or two, so I would not expect unreasonably big sound pressures.

Since I've got them and won't sell them (because the omni capsules are useful) and because I notice some folks seem to have got good results from B5's in their cardiod mode, I wonder whether I'm doing some thing wrong that I could be doing right? Does anyone with experience of these mics have any advice please? (I have pairs of M5s and M3s, both of which work fine, so this is more curiousity and wanting to carry fewer boxes than anything else!)

Thanks for any useful, practical thoughts you may have!

Gavin
forumuser915213
New here

Re: Behringer B5 omni and cardioid

Postby forumuser915213 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:51 pm

Is this possibly just a matter of using the pad? Are these sources /that/ loud?

Gavin
forumuser915213
New here

Postby forumuser915213 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:03 pm

Is this grittiness just overloading the circuitry in the mic? Is the pad the answer?
forumuser915213
New here

Postby forumuser915213 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:25 pm

I confess it was all my fault - not a problem with the mics.

Having engaged the pad, the grittiness I complain about went away. I had no idea that a little button box was so loud at close quarters.

Gavin
forumuser915213
New here

Postby ConcertinaChap » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:37 pm

Personally as a concertina player myself I've always regarded the mechanical noises that squeezeboxes make as being part of the sound of the instrument, in much the same way as acoustic guitars generate squeaks as the player's finger slides along the string. One doesn't want them to dominate the sound, of course, but I wouldn't try to eliminate them.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.