You are here

Recording double bass drums

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Recording double bass drums

Postby brianfoster » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:47 pm

The owner of the studio told me he doesn’t want to record two bass drums I should only bring one. To me this sounded completely unprofessional. What do you think?
brianfoster

Re: Recording double bass drums

Postby blinddrew » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:17 pm

That sounds a trifle odd but a bit more context might help?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby resistorman » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:24 pm

Is the drum room really small?
resistorman
Frequent Poster
future26.com

Postby Sam Inglis » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:32 pm

brianfoster wrote:The owner of the studio told me he doesn’t want to record to bass drums I should only bring one. To me this sounded completely unprofessional. What do you think?

If he's refused point blank to record your drum kit as you have it set up then yes, I think that's unprofessional and I'd go somewhere else.

If he foresees a specific problem he should explain what it is so that you can work things out properly.
Sam Inglis
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby The Elf » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:13 pm

Maybe he knows something you don't. I would simply open up a dialogue to understand his reasoning.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby brianfoster » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:59 pm

Thanks guys, here is some more info.
He has a giant drum room. His only reason was that its easier for him, no detailed explanation.
I said what if Simon Phillips, Dave Lombardo or Billy Cobham comes out, are you gonna tell them to only use one bass drum. He fell silent!
He has all the gear and plenty of room, top notch facility.
I play all styles of music but when I play metal I need both bass drums to be able to pull off what I do. The slave pedal just doesn't give the the right feel for the rolling double bass parts.
I know that I will not be recording metal at his studio but I'm trying to decide if it is even worth recording there for the other styles I play.
https://www.youtube.com/c/BrianFosterdrummer
brianfoster

Postby CS70 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:57 pm

It seems to me incredibly odd and stupid that someone would sabotage their business that way - unless for some reason he doesn't really want you as a client. It's not like these days there's millions in queue to record at any studio.

But worse people have been in charge of business which they shouldn't, and you may have gotten one mid in the process of failing. So yes, if the situation is as you describe, you're much better off bringing your business someplace else.
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby Wonks » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:07 pm

Sounds more like he's only got one kick drum mic, or at least only one of maybe two types, so that he can't provide a similar pair.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:02 am

That's easy top solve by bunging £30 on the session fees and hiring one in for a couple of days..... Do you have your own drum mics Brian? Offer to take them to the session, then at least you'll get a better idea of what he's thinking......

But you might be better to find someone else to provide the facilities, life's too short (until you're retired, then it's even shorter....)
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby resistorman » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:30 am

If it’s for your own music, obviously it’s not the right facility. If you’re being called in as a drummer for someone else’s session, it would be professional for you to do whatever it takes to make the session work.
resistorman
Frequent Poster
future26.com

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:52 am

Good point RM. I suppose it comes down to who is the employer in the relationship. If he was hiring you to play on a session then he calls the tune, if vice versa then it's your decision which kit to bring.

You wouldn't take this to an acoustic session

Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:01 am

brianfoster wrote:...I'm trying to decide if it is even worth recording there for the other styles I play.

You'll need to have a conversation with the engineer and/or producer about that, won't you? If you're the client you would reasonably expect to record the kit you bring unless there's a very good reason not to. But as Sam says, if you're being hired to play on someone else's session you gotta deliver what the producer asks for... but I get the impression you're not telling the full story.

Having said that, I completely get the engineer's point of view in that, if this session isn't a metal session, there is no need to set up two kick drums. It's just more stuff to rattle, resonate and get in the way.

On the other hand, if your post is just an attempt to get some views for your youtube video, well done. You've probably achieved that... ;-)

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:38 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:On the other hand, if your post is just an attempt to get some views for your youtube video, well done. You've probably achieved that... ;-)

Ooh, are you getting cynical in your old age Hugh? ;)

Having said that, I went to Brian's YouTube page and had a listen too, so mission accomplished :beamup:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:18 pm

Me too, he does have some chops though.... not like a bloke who insists on posting on my guitar society FB group..... I haven't the heart to ban him though......
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby brianfoster » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:57 pm

I think I will probably choose another studio. He has plenty of matching kick drum mics . I agree if I’m being hired for someone else’s session then I should comply with the engineers requests. Appreciate everybody’s feedback greatly!
brianfoster