You are here

What mic technique is used in this recording?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: What mic technique is used in this recording?

Postby george_vel » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:35 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Generally, the outriggers are in the same plane as the main pair, rather than significantly closer or farther away from the sources (to avoid timing problems).

H

Ok, I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

And what do you think about the mikes? Do you think Oktavas are good enough or Rodes are better?
Might be irrelevant question for a person who works with top-end brands, but I am not there yet :-)
george_vel
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:42 pm

I've never used the Oktava MK12 mics but they get many favourable comments -- and you can buy different capsules for them too, much like the Rode NT55.

I know Mike Senior is a fan of the omni capsules on the MK012, although I've heard him comment that the cardioid capsules can sound a but harsh on occasion.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby george_vel » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:23 am

Since I can stretch my budget a little bit and I want to buy a second pair which is at least one step up from what I have now, I plan to do the following:
- buy a pair of matched omni capsules to be used with the Oktavas I currently have;
- buy a pair of either Beyerdynamic MC-930 or Shure KSM-137, to be used as main cardioids pair instead of Oktava’s cardio.

Based on your experience, which one would you recommend (Beyerdynamic or Shure) for the applications I make, i.e. a capella or choir and piano?
george_vel
Regular

Postby wireman » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:54 am

I don't know about the price tradeoff but alternatively the KSM-141 would get you cardioid and omni patterns. I have not used that microphone for your application, others could comment on how sensible this might be.
wireman
Regular

Postby george_vel » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:48 am

wireman wrote:I don't know about the price tradeoff but alternatively the KSM-141 would get you cardioid and omni patterns. I have not used that microphone for your application, others could comment on how sensible this might be.

KSM141 is not directly comparable to MC930, and having already omnis alternative, I am keen to have a comparison of MC930 against KSM137.
george_vel
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:53 am

george_vel wrote:KSM141 is not directly comparable to MC930...

Obviously... But it would give you more options if the budget allows -- and there may well be times when having access to four omnis could be more useful than two omnis and two cardioids...

I haven't used the Shures myself, but PW gave them a good review and Shure mics are usually very good.
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/shure-ksm137-ksm141

I have used the beyer mc930s and I liked them a lot.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Previous