You are here

Focusrite Saffire pro 26 and 56.. do you get much latency?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Focusrite Saffire pro 26 and 56.. do you get much latency?

Postby wired4sound » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:57 am

Hey people

Im looking at possibly purchasing a 2nd hand Saffire pro 26 or 56.

I've noticed the firewire port also doubles as a Thunderbolt port.

I have a late 2011 MacBook pro with 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7. It's still not bad at all.

My questions are:

what kind of latency can I expect when tracking with this interface?

Is it even necessary to use Focusrite's mix control software to achieve very low latency or can I just use Pro Tools for my cue mixes?

Would using firewire as opposed to Thunderbolt make much difference in terms of latency?

The pro 56 seems v good value with 8 onboard pres including the 2 liquid pres.

I also noticed that the Scarlett 18i20 only runs on USB. Would that provide any better/worse performance over firewire or thunderbolt?

Interested in thoughts.

Thanks
wired4sound
Poster

Re: Focusrite Saffire pro 26 and 56.. do you get much latency?

Postby ef37a » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:07 am

I shall follow this thread. Focusrite AI are often praised for their pre amps but not often for low latency.

Might there be firm and software updates?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Dave B » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:06 am

I have a 56 and a 24 and used to have the original old 26 (the shiny one) before that. The 56 is the main studio io and the 24 was bought to be a Mainstage interface for my 2010 MacBook Pro.

I'm sure someone can give you precise figures for the latency, but I find that the buffer size is the real overriding factor in determining that. Beyond that, they work just fine. Latency is only really an issue for virtual instruments - monitoring can be done via the unit / mix control, and anything like overdubbing is more a function of the DAW.

I don't use PT so can't comment on the cue mixes. I've used the DAW (Logic) and mix control quite happily.
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby James Perrett » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:36 pm

wired4sound wrote:Would using firewire as opposed to Thunderbolt make much difference in terms of latency?

These are Firewire only - I'm fairly sure Thunderbolt wasn't available when these came out.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby OneWorld » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:51 pm

I used a Liquid 56 for several years, utterly reliable, and I used it with a latency down to 32 samples. Depending on what VSTs I had loaded, it did struggle when I was down to 32 samples, so for the main part settled on 64 samples.

I 'upgraded' to an RME Fireface 800, as they are supposed to be top dollar as regards latency, and use Firewire800, but I can only get down to 48 samples. And like the Liquid56, it is happier at 64 samples. So I can hardly distinguish the difference.

I was going to sell the Liquid 56 but am keeping it as a backup, in case the RME goes pop (hope I'm not tempting providence there)

I found the Focusrite gui/mixer perplexing and think the RME TotalMix even more so, though in the defence in both cases, signals can be routed here there and everywhere.

I am quite sure the Firewire does not double as a Thunderbird interface, it is a standard FW400 connector
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby dickiefunk » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:25 pm

There is an ongoing comparison test here :-

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-c ... -base.html

The Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 actually compares very well and the ones that are a noticeable step up in low latency are higher end RME interfaces, Lynx Aurora 16 and Presonus Quantum.
dickiefunk
Frequent Poster
http://www.richardpenrose.com

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:24 am

I play guitar live thru one,

what Feckin latency ???

you know what the difference between 6ms and 8 ms is ?

equivalent to sitting 24 inches further from your speakers.
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Now available for consultations and audio engineering jobs .  Also guitar tech work , and “rent-a-shredder” sessions .  Oxfordshire based but can and will travel .  Email maxtech.audio@me.com