You are here

Problem with Behringer XM8500

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Problem with Behringer XM8500

Postby CallamDrewSound » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:01 pm

I just bought said mic from Amazon and ordered with it a XLR to usb cable. After plugging everything in it did not work. So I went to my local guitar center and picked up a XLR to 3.5 mm to connect to the mic jack itself. And it works now but the sound quality is ok but quiet with a constant buzzing when ever the mic is open. I read reviews of people with the same mic just plugging it in to their pc via USB or what ever and it working fine. What can I do short of ordering a USB interface to get this to work?
CallamDrewSound

Re: Problem with Behringer XM8500

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:34 pm

The problem you have is that the mic requires a balanced input such as would be provided by a mixing desk or audio interface. Plugging it in using a XLR to mini jack cable will almost certainly not work correctly.

It may be possible to make a custom cable that would work but without knowing the wiring of the XLR to mini-jack cable and what you are plugging it into it's impossible to say. Assuming it's a laptop you are using, what is it's make and model and that of the cable you bought?

XLR to USB cables are notoriously dodgy BTW containing, as the do, the conversion circuitry in the plugs or a small box on the cable.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby garrettendi » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:47 pm

CallamDrewSound wrote: What can I do short of ordering a USB interface to get this to work?

I'm afraid buying a USB Interface is the best and simplest solution to my knowledge.

The good news is they can be bought for relatively cheap. The Behringer UM2 is £27 on Amazon if you don't mind slightly poorer quality to save money.

Failing this, a proper USB microphone might be what you need.
garrettendi
Frequent Poster
"The blues isn't about feeling better. It's about making other people feel WORSE, and making a few bucks while you're at it." - Bleeding Gums Murphy

Postby Dan-MusicTribe » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:38 am

Hi CallamDrewSound,

Please allow me to introduce myself; my name is Dan and I am part of the Care team at MUSIC in Kidderminster, UK. We provide Support and Service for all MUSIC Tribe brands.

In regards to your Behringer XM8500, we would love to help you resolve your issue. If you still require support, please feel free to contact our technical support team to discuss the problem in more detail. You can reach us at:

MUSIC Tribe
+1-702-800-8290 (US)
+44 1562 732299 (UK)

Dan
Care, MUSIC Tribe
http://www.musictri.be/support/behringer/askquestion
Dan-MusicTribe