You are here

should i upgrade/do i need to upgrade??

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

should i upgrade/do i need to upgrade??

Postby paul tha other » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:14 pm

hey there....my finger is sitting over the "buy" button on a new mac...

my old mac pro died a couple of years ago ..ok..it was 8-10 years old so no biggy..was skint at the time so i bought a second hand mac pro for peanuts ..i think i got a good deal...quad processor lots of ram etc..its been coping with the studio duties ive been throwing at it and thats got me thinking...how important is it to move with the latest bits of tech..

the reason i ask is ..this mac pro seems to be working pretty good..ok, i cant get logic x running on it or the latest version of the operating system on it but its stable and yet to throw a hissy fit

i did a mix with a band that had 70 or so tracks running all with effects etc so its not like from that perspective i need to upgrade..

when do you guys feel the need to upgrade..do you wait for the thing to blow up or do you buy a new computer every 3 or 4 years???
paul tha other
Frequent Poster
http://www.myspace.com/onemanandalaptop

Re: should i upgrade/do i need to upgrade??

Postby Folderol » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:24 pm

I usually wait till things just start to get a bit 'twitchy' then change (hopefully) before anything dramatic happens.
The other - very rare - circumstance is when my needs outgrow the computer's capability.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Just because you know what I'm talking about, it doesn't mean I do!

Postby paul tha other » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:57 pm

i wouldnt say its twitchy it seems rock solid..if i was using the computer for logic 9 only its perfect ...its all the other stuff...browser and email dont work properly..for most stuff its ok but there are a few sites ive tried to use and because its an old version of mozzilla(it wont upgrade to the newest version)i cant even load them up.. im still on 10.7.5.. so some apps wont even install..
paul tha other
Frequent Poster

Postby Kwackman » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:07 pm

paul tha other wrote:. im still on 10.7.5.
Can your MacPro not be upgraded to a (much) later OS?

[EDIT] just checked over on a Mac history site, and it looks like if it's one of the original MacPros, 10.7.5 is indeed the limit. [EDIT]

If, like me, you like the design of the pre-trash can MacPros (4 drive bays, PCI slots etc), maybe get aa old style Mac pro from one of the refry sites.
Mine is a mid 2010 model, and it's still going strong, and running High Sierra and Cubase pro etc, etc with no problems.
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby paul tha other » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:27 pm

i think it cost 200-250 i cant remember so prob is first release .i bought it because the old one died and i needed a machine in a rush so bought the first one i could find...i like pre trash can design i wish they still did them but thats another story lol ...i should maybe go check the second hand line try get one of the last pre trash can ones.. good idea!!!!
thats why i love this forums...

i can relax my finger now..
paul tha other
Frequent Poster

Postby Forum Admin » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:36 pm

The chaps from Create Pro know a thing or two about upgrading cheese grater Mac Pros to powerful specs - so have a watch of this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1zjnaSVUZM
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH SOS - 10,167 high quality articles: www.soundonsound.com/search/all
SOS gear videos, tutorials, studio tours: www.soundonsound.tv

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:54 pm

Interesting, I'm using a 2008 (I think) Mac Pro, it was pretty much state of the art when my video graphics buddy bought it, long in the tooth now but still going strong. The 2008 will go all the way to El Capitain but not into the Sierras. I'm going to put EC on all the family Macs as we're all on Mavericks at present. It's a bit of a palaver with my MBP and my wives iMac as they can accommodate High Sierra so the Apple Store won't let you update to EC only to HS but I want them all on the same OSX version..... devious measures required.....

In answer to your original question, I'm definitely not a power user but I don't upgrade until the old one either fails, can't run a sufficiently up to date for my hardware (this happened on my office machine and Focusrite Saffire Pro24) or is no longer powerful enough (this latter has never happened).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Kwackman » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:42 pm

Paul,
There a quite a few companies doing refurb Mac Pros, I used Mac Bank (previously known as ScrumpyMacs) and was very happy with them.

Forum Admin wrote:The chaps from Create Pro know a thing or two about upgrading cheese grater Mac Pros to powerful specs
The second video showing the actual changes was interesting too. Ta for sharing this as I didn't know upgrading was possible.
Also, the presenter called the cheese grater Mac Pro "classic", which is a much better name, so I vote the official SOS term for our silver Mac Pros should be "MacPro Classic" ;)
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby Bob Bickerton » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:42 pm

My MacBook Pro is the centre of my business and used for multiple purposes including admin, graphic art, video editing and audio recording. As such I can justify its replacement every two or three years, which means I’m rarely forced to upgrade because of functionality issues.

Personally speaking, I’d most certainly want to use the latest version of Logic, and I seem to remember you’ve been caught out previously with Logic X compatibility. SSD system drive is a must for me. Portability is useful. The old “classic” Mac Pro towers were very noisy.

I’m wondering if a tower is necessary.....

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Frequent Poster (Level2)
http://www.bickerton.co.nz

Postby job » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:06 pm

Browsers often slow down first i find, have you tried refreshing Firefox to see if it helps?
job
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:10 pm

Kwackman wrote:Also, the presenter called the cheese grater Mac Pro "classic", which is a much better name, so I vote the official SOS term for our silver Mac Pros should be "MacPro Classic" ;)
How about "MacPro Royale"? ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby CS70 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:14 pm

paul tha other wrote:the reason i ask is ..this mac pro seems to be working pretty good..

There's your answer right there. The only reason for change is that you enjoy tinkering and reinstalling.

I'm a computer scientist by background and spent part of my younger days building my own PCs for fun, part to be able to better run Mathematica, part to be able to better play Quake.

When I started *using* the PCs for something else, that went away. I still enjoy tinkering, but I enjoy making music and video much, much more and obviously the less I tinker with the PC the more time I use making music and video.

If your computer no longer meets some need of yours, by all mean change it. Otherwise - unless you specifically have fun in change for change's sake - don't.
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:18 am

This ^

I too used to build my own PCs but went back to hardware for recording for quite a few years after I realised I spent more time playing computers than playing music.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Zukan » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:45 am

Forum Admin wrote:The chaps from Create Pro know a thing or two about upgrading cheese grater Mac Pros to powerful specs - so have a watch of this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1zjnaSVUZM

Thanks for that Knower. Might need their powers.
Zukan

Postby paul tha other » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:02 pm

job wrote:Browsers often slow down first i find, have you tried refreshing Firefox to see if it helps?

it not thats its slowing down.its just the old version..it just wont load certain pages that work fine on my pc at home(which is a year old)...also im getting more of the "you cant install that, it needs 10.8.etc" type of messages
paul tha other
Frequent Poster

Postby paul tha other » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:12 pm

Bob Bickerton wrote:My MacBook Pro is the centre of my business and used for multiple purposes including admin, graphic art, video editing and audio recording. As such I can justify its replacement every two or three years, which means I’m rarely forced to upgrade because of functionality issues.

Personally speaking, I’d most certainly want to use the latest version of Logic, and I seem to remember you’ve been caught out previously with Logic X compatibility. SSD system drive is a must for me. Portability is useful. The old “classic” Mac Pro towers were very noisy.

I’m wondering if a tower is necessary.....

Bob

my tower isnt noisy at all..i get a bit of fan noise when i switch it on, then its silent..i dont do much location recording so i dont need to be portable..i like the towers for the drive bays..way to handy..

i see what you are saying about logic x and yes i got caught out not being able to open a logic x project and thats why my finger was sitting over the buy button on the mac website.also why im asking this very question...

im my own worst nightmare..i can talk myself into having one opinion then talk myself out of that opinion in less than 5 minutes

didnt think upgrading my tower was an option though..that could be the way i go

anyway..thank you for your replies..been given food for thought
paul tha other
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:32 pm

Sadly they only upgrade 2009+ Mac Pros, mine are 2008 (8 core 3.0GHz and 8 core 2.8GHz) and an older 2006 (3.0GHz Quad Core)..... :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster