You are here

Any Shock Mount Reccomendations For Samson G Track Pro?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Any Shock Mount Reccomendations For Samson G Track Pro?

Postby Erick » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:47 am

I did some research and it seems like the model SP04 is the way to go instead of SP01. I have a SP01 but one of the bands snapped due to a design flaw of the band not being one whole together and having a metal piece that applies pressure to a point on the band making it thinner and snapping due to the g track pro weight. Hopefully it won’t happen with the SP04 since it has a special design for the knobs.
Erick

Postby tronix » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:14 am

I know this is old but I'm pretty sure people are still looking for accessories for the Samson G Track Pro (was backordered forever). Finally got mine and I have the MBA38 boom arm but there is no adapter. Was thinking of getting the SP04 shock mount but I hear it needs an extra threaded adapter to secure the mic so it doesn't fall off. Didn't want to go thru that but the Rycote sounded enticing. I looked at specs of the sizes of USMs on their website but nothing seems to fit they all seem half the size of the G-track pro. Unless I'm reading it incorrectly. The Samson mic housing is 4.5" (116mm) diameter but most the the USMs on Rycote's site are half that diameter.

Wonks wrote:It may cost a bit more than the SP-01, but I'd consider a Rycote USM shock mount, as they are about the best mounts you can get. They will isolate the mic a lot better than the elastic spider type shock mount.

https://rycote.com/microphone-windshiel ... on-studio/

The dimensions and weight of the Samson mic on the datasheet seem to include the desk stand, so you'll have to take that off and weigh the mic and measure its diameter to decide which of the USM mounts best suits your mic. It needs to fit within the specified weight limits to make sure that the suspension stiffness of the lyre is correct for good isolation, and obviously the selection needs to be of a size to accommodate the mic's diameter.

The other benefit of the mount is that it can be used with any other mic of the right weight and size, so can be kept if you upgrade your mic in future (or add to your collection).
tronix

Postby IvanSC » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:20 am

Wonks wrote:It may cost a bit more than the SP-01, but I'd consider a Rycote USM shock mount, as they are about the best mounts you can get. .

You missed out the crucial word "adjustable", Wonks.

I agree with you btw. Got one that I use on my Oktava 319 and on a couple of other odd sized condenser mics in the herd.
IvanSC
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Two bottles of Corona lemon and lime,  please!

Previous