You are here

Buying from studiocare website - your experience

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Buying from studiocare website - your experience

Postby george_vel » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:13 pm

Gentlemen,

I found a good b-stock (ex showroom) offer of stereo set mics I want to buy from studiocare.com website. Since this company is located in UK, you are the most appropriate people to ask for sharing any experience with this shop (if you have any).

Are they reliable? What about returning items, etc.? I don’t want to end up with relatively expensive mics in bad condition that I am not able to return.
george_vel
Regular

Re: Buying from studiocare website - your experience

Postby wireman » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:53 pm

george_vel wrote:Gentlemen,
What about returning items, etc.? I don’t want to end up with relatively expensive mics in bad condition that I am not able to return.

Their Terms and Conditions are a misrepresentation of your rights as a UK consumer, you have 14 days to notify them that you would like to return an item. I'm not sure of the situation if you are not in the UK.

I noticed this...

6.7 The rights to return the goods to us as referred to in clause 6.3 will not apply in the following circumstances: -

6.7.1 in the case of copyrighted goods (all software, media and sample CDs) where the packaging has been unsealed and/or the product has been registered
6.7.2 for Health and Safety reasons to products such as microphones, headphones, earphones and in-ear monitoring devices that have been used or where the hygienic seal has been removed or broken and

This seems too general.
wireman
Regular

Postby george_vel » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:06 pm

This seems too risky.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, wireman!
george_vel
Regular

Postby ConcertinaChap » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:23 pm

Some years ago I bought a pair of "B stock" KM184 mics from Studiocare. Lovely mics, nothing wrong with them at all. They are key mics in my collection. Can't say any more than that.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.

Postby John Willett » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:24 am

Studiocare is an OK retailer based in Liverpool.

If you are in the EU - then EU purchase rights apply and a retailer cannot get round them.

Their hygiene clause on microphones should only apply to a vocal mic - and even that is debatable - a matched pair would not be used for vocals and B-stock imply they have been used anyway, so they would have no getout, IMHO, if you wanted to return them.
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
President - Federation Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons

Postby wireman » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:23 pm

george_vel wrote:This seems too risky.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, wireman!

I was only pointing that out, in the first case they probably didn't update the website. Your best approach would be to send them a mail and tell them that you are interested in a purchase but need to make sure the microphones meet your needs and if they don't you will return them (you would expect to pay to do that). You can decide what to do based on their response and any other information you get here or elsewhere.
wireman
Regular

Postby george_vel » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:13 pm

Thanks to all of you for your inputs.

I took my decision and it is not to buy KM184 stereo set from this seller. Although it might be OK, it’s pretty far away from me and mics should travel almost 3k km only in one direction. If something is wrong, I should return them back for another 3 thousand km and it will certainly take a while. The price + shipping makes no big difference to a new set and if I have to send them back for any reason, it will get worse.

I will wait for a b-stock offer for the same mics from Thomann and shipping will be free of charge for my location. And I already had a refund with them in the past, so no trust issues there.

Thanks once again, you are really polite and helpful! :-)
george_vel
Regular

Postby ConcertinaChap » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:24 am

Interestingly enough, when I received the B stock KM184s from Studiocare they showed no signs of ever having even been out of the box, let alone used in any way. I think they were doing what some companies do which is to describe some stock as B and reduce the price so that they can shift it quickly while still maintaining the headline full price for the mics. A common enough procedure and one that I'm not totally sure of the morality of (if they're willing to sell at that price why not just sell all their stock at that price?) but they're nice mics at a bargain price.

I, of course, am in the UK so I understand your reservations about international purchase. Hope you get what you want before too long.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby george_vel » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:40 am

Out of curiosity, I’ve sent an email to Studiocare today asking for more details about point 6.7.2 from their T&C and potential return if something appears malfunctioning. Let’s see what will be the answer.

Meanwhile, I wrote also to Thomann asking them is there a possibility to set email notification on their site for certain products if they “go b-stock”. I suggested also it would be a nice feature if they don’t have it.

The answer was “we cannot predict when a customer will return something and it will appear as b-stock” - as I was asking for prediction, not for a nice and convenient feature (in my view) :-)
george_vel
Regular

Postby george_vel » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:59 pm

To give an update on the topic - at the end I bought Neumann KM184 stereo set from Studio care.

I would say great service, fast response on all my messages and the item was shipped extremely fast, given the distance between Liverpool and Sofia (2800 km). I’ve placed the order via Reverb website last Sunday and this morning it is in my hands.

One thing to confirm to ConcertinaChap - yes, I got brand new set although it was listed as a b-stock. I was actually offered this way via messages - pay b-stock price for brand new set.

First milestone achieved - great mics.
Now moving to the next one - the recorder.

Btw, give some advice what techique do you use to attach and detach kms - the clamps are extremely tight...
george_vel
Regular

Postby The Elf » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:33 pm

george_vel wrote:Btw, give some advice what techique do you use to attach and detach kms - the clamps are extremely tight...
Brute force! You're right, they can be a bit brutal. For quick 'put up and record it' jobs I will typically resort to a couple of cheap (5 for a tenner), foam-lined, spring-loaded clamps.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:19 pm

george_vel wrote:Btw, give some advice what techique do you use to attach and detach kms - the clamps are extremely tight...

Slide the mic into the clamp from the forward end, making sure the badge is orientated to sit in the gap between the clamp sides (otherwise it will foul on the plastic and may even be dislodged).

Do not try to force the mic into the clamp from above!
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby george_vel » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:29 pm

Thanks for the tips.

@Hugh, what about using Rycote Inv-7 with KMs? Would it be easier to set them on and off?
george_vel
Regular

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:35 pm

I've just realised that I've never ever used the mic clips that came with the KM184s. I already had a pair of Rycote INV-7 shock mounts to hand (I've got more now) and I've always used those. Worth considering when funds allow.

When I wrote the above I hadn't seen your latest post, believe it or not. The INV-7 takes a little work to get the mic in but nothing drastic and nothing that concerns me.

CC

Edit: I just tried fitting a KM184 into its mic clip. The INV-7 is much easier.

PS Glad things worked out well for you. You'll like the KM184s.
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:57 pm

george_vel wrote:Thanks for the tips.

@Hugh, what about using Rycote Inv-7 with KMs? Would it be easier to set them on and off?

Can't say I have a problem with the stock clips here, but yes, the Rycote INV-7s work well and. Often use them myself. The clips are easy to fit, but you have two clips to fit per mic instead of one!
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby The Elf » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:15 pm

The Rycote presents two *much* easier clips to get around the body of the mic.

My KM184 clips are super-tight - there's no way I could slide the mic in from the end - it's brute force or nothing!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.