You are here

Edirol UA-101 frustration!

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Edirol UA-101 frustration!

Postby Flexitone » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:09 pm

Hi,
Recording through the mic on my UA-101 works fine, but I needed to record a podcast, and for various reasons, wanted to record from the mic plus the output from another sound card.

Easy, just use a small mixer, and mix them both into inputs 1 and 2 on the UA-101.

Can I get it to record, no!

I've gotten used to this particular interface, and don't want to risk buying a new one and getting the same problems. But clearly I'm missing something here.

Windows 10 32-bit. Doesn't work with Audacity Sound forge 11, Reaper or Samplitude.

Very grateful for any hints,
Thanks,
David.
Flexitone
New here

Re: Edirol UA-101 frustration!

Postby BJG145 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:13 pm

Flexitone wrote:...for various reasons, wanted to record from the mic and plus the output from another sound card...

So you're trying to record from one audio interface into another on the same system...? I'm not surprised you're finding that a little problematic. Do you have to play this podcast and record it back to get it into the PC, or can you just download it...? If so, you could then overdub it in Reaper or similar, using just a single audio interface.
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ConcertinaChap » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:15 pm

Looking at the manual it says "Connect the outputs of your external mixer, synthesizer, etc. to input jacks 3–8". You could try that. You'd need to tell the DAW you were recording from those inputs, of course. I do find the manual a little quiet on the subject of using inputs 1 and 2 for anything other than mics and guitars.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.

Postby Flexitone » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:40 pm

Hi,
I'll certainly give that a whirl. The problem is that I'm demonstrating a talking screen reader, hence the need to record from another card and the mic at the same time.
Thanks for the help,
David.
Flexitone
New here

Postby Flexitone » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:57 pm

Hi again,

Just tried that. No joy. Definitely missing something here. There are a whole load of buttons on the front of the device. Currently, I've none of them pressed.
There are some dip switches on the back, but not entirely sure what they do,
Thanks,
David.
Flexitone
New here

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:02 pm

It seems likely you have a routing problem within either the sound card control app or your DAW. Can't think of anything else........ I don't have a UA101 so can't help with specifics but try a methodical approach, first set the DAW up to record the mic to track 1, then set a stereo track 2 up and assign, say, inputs 5/6 to that. Check that both are receiving a signal separately and together (test the stereo input using a minijack to 2 x TRS/TS lead if that's what the inputs present on) and use you phone to test simultaneous recording of a track and some voice. If that works you could record the second laptop using it's headphone out and, at least, get some work done.

Next pay attention to the second audio interface on the second laptop. use headphones to make sure it is sending a signal out of it's outputs, then plug those into the UA101 inputs 5/6 and see if that works. It's just a matter of being methodical and eliminating each issue one at a time.

Good luck

edit, Are you only using a single computer to both run the demo and record the podcast? That may be difficult as, IIRC, some setups will not allow two audio devices to coexist on the same system.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby BJG145 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:25 am

Can you download the podcast, then overdub the voiceover? Recording from one device into another on the same PC is always a hassle. (I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to do, but you'd be able to work in exactly the same way with a downloaded file as if you were playing it out from a second interface.)
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby BillB » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:14 am

Im a UA-101 owner but don’t know how to do what you want, and would agree with other comments that using more than one sound card is a recipe for trouble.

If you can’t download the podcast, you could consider recording it using this:
https://www.wavosaur.com/streamosaur/

Then import the resulting wav/mp3 into your DAW and record your additional track alongside it.

Incidentally, if you don’t know what the switches on the back do, you clearly haven’t looked at the manual. Always worth a scan over, if only to recall later “I think I read that it can....”.
BillB
Regular

Postby Flexitone » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:26 pm

Hi Bill,

Reading switches, or for that matter manuals is tricky. I have no sight, and I'm looking to do the following.
I've two sound cards in this computer. I want to record a training podcast such that I can record from the mic and the screen reader card at the same time.
The edirol is a very old model, and I'm not convinced about its viability in windows 10, nor apparently are Roland as they've just recently launched their Rubix range.
All I'm really doing is using a mixer to mix two separate inputs into one on the UA-101.
This is so important that I'm willing to lay out money for a new sound card that will allow me to do this.
Thanks for all your help,
David.
Flexitone
New here

Postby geecen » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:25 pm

Hi David,

I have this device and just tried it out with youtube in chrome and a mic input and it worked fine - I think the issue is that you can't set the outputs very easily on most apps. Try this:

First make sure you can hear the voiceover app using the edirol interface through the speakers.

Then open Reaper and set up the edirol as the audio card. You should still be able to hear the other app playing in the background through the speakers. Go to the audio device setting ans make sure the inputs 'first' and 'last' are set to 1-2 and 7-8.

Next, plug the monitor outputs from your edirol back into one or two (if the app is stereo) inputs in the back.

Next we have to set up a track to record them. Make a new track on Reaper and set the inputs to the inputs you plugged the monitors into. Click the record arm button on the track and you should be able to see the meters jumping up and down - hazah!

Set up a new track to record in reaper with the mic into input 1. Check again with the record arm to see it's working.

Now test it out. You'll want the monitoring to be off on the mic; I think you'll want it off on the app too as the app itself will be sending audio to the main outs. Try changing the monitoring button if you have problems.

I think this should work! Let me know if you have problems.

Greg
geecen

Postby Flexitone » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:49 pm

Hi Greg,
Both mic and other card are plugged into the mixer, and that mixer is plugged into inputs 1 and 2 on the UA-101. I'm not using speakers, but the headphone socket on the Edirol.
I can hear both the mic and the speech card, so they are both entering the UA-101.
So just one thing to clear up. In the dreaded UA-101 control panel, where should inputs 1 and 2 be routed?
Thanks for a very helpful description of how to fix this. I was about to buy something new, and throw the old one away,
David.
Flexitone
New here

Postby BillB » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:55 pm

David, that’s the best reason I have come across for not reading a manual! My apologies, I can’t imagine how difficult it must be to read a Technical manual using screen readers etc. I expect individual pages aren’t too bad, depending on layout, but navigation must be tricky.

Greg, welcome to the forum - first posts here are usually asking questions, not seeking to answer them so thoroughly as you have done, so thanks for such a great contribution.

David, Just so you know, the four switches are, from the right as you face the back of the back of the unit:
Level 3+4, 5+6, 7+8, where up equals +4dbu and down equals -10dbu. This is to with the nature of the equipment you are connecting to and shouldn’t really be an issue. The last switch on the left is the USB mode, where up equals USB 2, and down equals USB 1.1. This could be important to your issue, as in USB 1.1 mode, you can only use the UA-101 as a two-in, two-out device.

Greg has suggested an entire routemap - my brain can’t think that far ahead! But I was going to suggest that you start by trying to get the card reader software to play through the UA-101, then build up from there. Also note that in the UA-101 Control Panel software, you have a lot of control, including a patchbay (go to Menu ‘Device’ then ‘Set Patchbay’) which allows you to route any Output channel pair to any input channel pair. So, if you could get the card reader playing out through channels 3-4, you could then route them back into input channels 1-2 where they might be mixed with the mic input. Or alternatively route 3-4 out back into 3-4 in, and record that on one track (or pair) in Reaper, while you record your voice via Ins 1-2. No need for an external mixer.

Apologies that I don’t know what aids there are for sightless users, so have no idea how easy or difficult it would be for you to set up tracks in Reaper and channels in the UA-101.
BillB
Regular

Postby BillB » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:58 pm

David, if you can hear both Inputs, don’t you just designate them as Inputs in Reaper, and hit record? Do you know whether the Inputs in Reaper are registering any signal?
BillB
Regular

Postby Flexitone » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:27 pm

Hi Bill,
In my previous life as a systems engineer, I have to confess to telling people exactly what you told me to do, but the layout of the manual is such that it is difficult to sort the wood from the trees.
I'm currently sitting here typing and listening to my voice card as I type with the headphones plugged into the UA-101. If I turn up the gain on the mic, I can hear myself speaking in my headphones. All this proves that things are getting in, just not getting out to the recording software.
I assume that as these ports are selectable, then they are active, but I may be wrong, and altering the usb switch may well solve the problem. Is my thumbnail up to it?
Further to this, currently all buttons on the front of the interface are not pressed. Should any of them be?
Very many thanks,
David.
Flexitone
New here

Postby BillB » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:59 pm

I would think all front panel buttons should be out, apart from the Direct Monitor Soft Control switch, which is immediately left of the power plus volume control.

From the manual page 11:
“Turn this on ( pressed inward) if you want to control the direct monitor mixer (block diagram front cover) using ASIO 2.0 compliant software or UA-101 Control Panel. When this switch is on, the monitor volume, pan, and on/off settings of each input jack and each output from the computer can be controlled by your software. (refer to UA-101 Control Panel (p. 38)) . When this switch is off, all settings of the Direct Monitor Mixer will be ignored (i.e., bypassed), allowing you to monitor the audio inputs at all input jacks and the outputs from your computer just as they are. This provides a convenient way to temporarily ignore the software settings when you need to do things such as check the connections.”

As for the DIP switches, they are well-recessed. However, if they feel like they are all ‘up’, that should be correct. You would have to restart the unit if you changed the USB mode.
BillB
Regular

Postby BJG145 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:02 am

I'd try setting this up the way Greg suggested; forget the second soundcard, disable it, and do it all via the Edirol.
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby BJG145 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:44 pm

...alternatively, maybe you could pick up a cheap digital recorder and run the mixer into that instead; I expect you could get something perfectly suitable on eBay for a tenner. Or use a phone perhaps, if you have one that can record...
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Flexitone » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:01 pm

Hi Bill Greg et al,
The problem is now solved. As it turned out, I was selecting the wrong ports. Had some sighted help this afternoon, and the ports I thought were 1 and 2 were in fact 7 and 8.
Having said that, I learnt a lot about this interface whilst trying to sor this out, no small thanks to you all for your patience and great knowledge.
Up and running now,
David.
Flexitone
New here

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:13 pm

Excellent news David :thumbup: well done.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby BillB » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:46 am

Excellent news, well done!
BillB
Regular

Next