You are here

Grotboxes

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Grotboxes

Postby craigtumps » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:50 am

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for tips when it comes to grotbox speakers. Is anyone using PC speakers? Any ones you recommend?

Obviously there are Mixcubes but I'd rather not spend that kind of money.

I'm not looking to mix into the grotboxes, I just want something as more of a quick sanity check.

Are there any tips for this kind of thing, sealed-only speakers for example?

Currently my trick is to record a video of the tune I'm working on with my phone then listen to it back. :lol: Surprisingly it does give me an insight in to how its sounding at grot level. :) But I want something better now.
craigtumps
Poster
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:49 pm

Re: Grotboxes

Postby Forum Admin » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:00 am

Hi Craig,

I use an old Technics 'boombox' and also a Pure DAB radio (both via their Aux inputs) just to give me another reference to check if track components are out-of-whack or OK balance-wise.
User avatar
Forum Admin
Moderator
Posts: 2930
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2003 10:00 pm
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH SOS - 10,167 high quality articles: www.soundonsound.com/search/all
SOS gear videos, tutorials, studio tours: www.soundonsound.tv

Re: Grotboxes

Postby craigtumps » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:13 am

Hmm I didn't think of that. I do actually have a little dab radio that I think has aux. I will give it a go. :thumbup:
craigtumps
Poster
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:49 pm

Re: Grotboxes

Postby CS70 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:39 am

craigtumps wrote:Hi Guys,

I'm looking for tips when it comes to grotbox speakers. Is anyone using PC speakers? Any ones you recommend?

Obviously there are Mixcubes but I'd rather not spend that kind of money.
I'm not looking to mix into the grotboxes, I just want something as more of a quick sanity check.

Are there any tips for this kind of thing, sealed only speakers for example?

Currently my trick is to record a video of the tune I'm working on with my phone then listen to it back. :lol: Surprisingly it does give me an insight in to how its sounding at grot level. :) But I want something better now.

If you have a modern smartphone, its speaker does the whole limited-frequency-response--in-mono pretty alright.
User avatar
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2716
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:00 am
Location: Oslo, Norway
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Re: Grotboxes

Postby The Elf » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:37 pm

I picked up a cheap mono plug-in Altec Lansing PC speaker in a bulk-buy a few years ago. It runs from batteries (which last months), and just hangs from a DAW output, such that it's available to audition any time I feel the need.
User avatar
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 11308
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2001 11:00 pm
Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: Grotboxes

Postby blinddrew » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:54 pm

I run an output from my AI to the aux in on my Yamaha THX10 guitar amp and hit mono. Gives me a pretty good ready-reckoner for budget systems. Beyond that I just use the speaker in my phone.
User avatar
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4698
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:00 pm
Location: York
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Re: Grotboxes

Postby craigtumps » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:22 pm

Looks like the phone is a popular choice after all!
Maybe we should get a little phone speaker driver, connect it up to balanced audio connections and sell it for £500. The Phone Master Reference speaker - for the "right" phone grot sound. :D
craigtumps
Poster
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:49 pm

Re: Grotboxes

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:03 pm

The Elf wrote:I picked up a cheap mono plug-in Altec Lansing PC speaker in a bulk-buy a few years ago. It runs from batteries (which last months), and just hangs from a DAW output, such that it's available to audition any time I feel the need.

I use one of these as my grot box too:

Image

A very handy reference!


Martin
User avatar
Martin Walker
Moderator
Posts: 12512
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am
Location: Cornwall, UK

Re: Grotboxes

Postby Forum Admin » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:32 pm

Nice - does the red 'glow' in your studio -- or is it merely a coloured ring?
User avatar
Forum Admin
Moderator
Posts: 2930
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2003 10:00 pm
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH SOS - 10,167 high quality articles: www.soundonsound.com/search/all
SOS gear videos, tutorials, studio tours: www.soundonsound.tv

Re: Grotboxes

Postby Forum Admin » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:35 pm

craigtumps wrote:Looks like the phone is a popular choice after all!
Maybe we should get a little phone speaker driver, connect it up to balanced audio connections and sell it for £500. The Phone Master Reference speaker - for the "right" phone grot sound. :D

I think the SOS Grot Box Reference Speaker has a better ring about it. SOS Grot Box for short... :D
User avatar
Forum Admin
Moderator
Posts: 2930
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2003 10:00 pm
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH SOS - 10,167 high quality articles: www.soundonsound.com/search/all
SOS gear videos, tutorials, studio tours: www.soundonsound.tv

Re: Grotboxes

Postby The Elf » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:42 pm

Forum Admin wrote:Nice - does the red 'glow' in your studio -- or is it merely a coloured ring?
No red glow, but the power light at the bottom glows green - nice in a darkened studio!
User avatar
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 11308
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2001 11:00 pm
Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: Grotboxes

Postby craigtumps » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:23 am

Forum Admin wrote:
craigtumps wrote:Looks like the phone is a popular choice after all!
Maybe we should get a little phone speaker driver, connect it up to balanced audio connections and sell it for £500. The Phone Master Reference speaker - for the "right" phone grot sound. :D

I think the SOS Grot Box Reference Speaker has a better ring about it. SOS Grot Box for short... :D

Ok deal it was invented here after all!
craigtumps
Poster
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:49 pm

Re: Grotboxes

Postby craigtumps » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:33 am

So it looks like there is no pattern to what people use, just anything rubbish will do :)

I'm trying to find that Altec Lansing but I'm not finding much. I will try and find something similar because I think single driver is the way to go.

I already have a JBL Charge 2 but I feel it sounds too good!
craigtumps
Poster
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:49 pm

Re: Grotboxes

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:24 am

Lots of those little bluetooth speakers around from under a tenner up to a fair few quid (but those probably don't qualify.....
User avatar
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 6593
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Manchester UK
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Re: Grotboxes

Postby The Elf » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:01 am

Sam Spoons wrote:Lots of those little bluetooth speakers around from under a tenner up to a fair few quid (but those probably don't qualify.....
My problem with those is that you don't know what the Bluetooth conversion is doing to the audio before it hits the speaker, so it's hard to know what artifacts you're hearing - worth it for an extra check, though.
User avatar
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 11308
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2001 11:00 pm
Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: Grotboxes

Postby craigtumps » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:23 am

Yeah I would only use it with the line in connection not over the bluetooth.
craigtumps
Poster
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:49 pm

Re: Grotboxes

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:56 am

Yeah that had occurred but they all seem to have a hard wired line input, maybe useful to check on both?
User avatar
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 6593
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Manchester UK
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Re: Grotboxes

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:24 pm

craigtumps wrote:I'm trying to find that Altec Lansing but I'm not finding much. I will try and find something similar because I think single driver is the way to go.

The one I have is the iM227, which I bought here in the UK at a Tesco supermarket for £15 a couple of years ago. I've actually been using this to check some mixes just this afternoon as it happens ;)

Image

They can still be found on eBay, but apparently only in the US:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Altec-Lansin ... 0033.m2042


Martin
User avatar
Martin Walker
Moderator
Posts: 12512
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am
Location: Cornwall, UK

Re: Grotboxes

Postby Ben Asaro » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:10 pm

I use my iPad as my grotbox, and a pair of cheap Sony ear buds.
Ben Asaro
Regular
Posts: 440
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:00 am
Location: NYC

Re: Grotboxes

Postby ConcertinaChap » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:42 pm

There's an old dodge I learned in these forums that works surprisingly well, I've found. Set the mix playing quite loud then go out of the room completely and listen from the other side of the door. It's surprising how many imbalances show up when you do that.

CC
User avatar
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Posts: 5748
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Bradford on Avon
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: rggillespie