You are here

Grotboxes

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Grotboxes

Postby blinddrew » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:43 pm

I was actually just making a joke about spotting mistakes after it's too late to fix...

Oh yes, and half the time only the left speaker works in my car. It's good for checking mono compatibility in a way ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby DC-Choppah » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:16 am

Forum Admin wrote:
ConcertinaChap wrote:There's something about all the ambient noise that shows up problems.

True -- I think it's a similar concept to mixing through Pink Noise.

I have my car 'stereo' (although it's more like a 5.1 speaker setup) set up on its Balance control to move the phantom centre over to the right, nearer the driver, where my head usually is. Otherwise I'm getting too much R signal. Anyone else do this, or do you leave it with the Balance set to the middle?

I leave it neutral. I was told by a buddy at a major car company that they optimize the sound for the driver position. They know exactly where your ears are, and they take that into account.

BTW I think my stock car stereo sounds great.
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:10 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:All the cars I've had that would play CDs (3 so far and all with factory fitted units) would all play CDRs. There's something about all the ambient noise that shows up problems.

I suspect this is a very similar phenomenon to pink noise mixing, in that the engine noise operates in a similar way, allowing sounds that 'stick out' of the mix to be heard more clearly.

Certainly since I took up Eddie's pink noise mixing to kickstart all my mixes I find far less to tweak during car auditions :thumbup:

www.soundonsound.com/techniques/mixing- ... -reference

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:52 pm

You may well be right :)

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Postby craigtumps » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:52 am

Pink noise, interesting! I will have to try that.
craigtumps
Regular

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:48 pm

craigtumps wrote:Pink noise, interesting! I will have to try that.

Hi craigtumps!

I've found it by far the quickest way to get a basic balanced mix that translates well to a variety of acoustic environments.

It revolutionised my mixing process.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby craigtumps » Fri May 04, 2018 2:18 pm

Well I gave the pink noise trick a spin. It was a bit strange at first sitting there listening to ear bleeding pink noise. I was sure it would come out a total mess. But I carried on through the process. Turned off the pink noise and there you have it, a rounded mix!

I think I went a bit too far by matching every single track to the noise. I'm making electronic music so I don't think that's necessary. Next time I will just use it to balance the main elements then work the rest of the tracks around them. Also I'll do the pink trick earlier in a production, to set those main elements earlier and know what I'm dealing with.

I often find I end up with upper mids too laid back in a mix (I get tired of them I suppose). This trick has helped to keep sounds nice and forward. The track translates better too.

So thanks for the pink noise tip! :thumbup:
craigtumps
Regular

Postby Martin Walker » Fri May 04, 2018 3:40 pm

craigtumps wrote:Well I gave the pink noise trick a spin. It was a bit strange at first sitting there listening to ear bleeding pink noise. I was sure it would come out a total mess. But I carried on through the process. Turned off the pink noise and there you have it, a rounded mix!

i thought listening through loud pink noise was a bit weird as well when I first tried it, but I've subsequently found that you can perform the same trick at lower playback levels - the beauty of pink noise is that although the ear's response to the bass end changes with level, pink noise mixing does still work even when you turn everything down 8-)

craigtumps wrote:I think I went a bit too far by matching every single track to the noise. I'm making electronic music so I don't think that's necessary. Next time I will just use it to balance the main elements then work the rest of the tracks around them. Also I'll do the pink trick earlier in a production, to set those main elements earlier and know what I'm dealing with.

I'm using a lot of electronic sounds in my tracks as well, but I still do this basic pink noise mix to start off with, before I start adding effects, reverb and so on, just to get a good basic balance that will translate well to other playback systems.

craigtumps wrote:I often find I end up with upper mids too laid back in a mix (I get tired of them I suppose). This trick has helped to keep sounds nice and forward. The track translates better too. So thanks for the pink noise tip! :thumbup:

My pleasure - I've only recently realised that the way I used to listen to in-progress mixes while travelling in the car was a similar process - if you set playback levels so your track can just be heard over the engine noise, anything sticking out of the mix becomes far more obvious!

Another convert to the cause ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby craigtumps » Fri May 04, 2018 4:41 pm

Yeah I had to have it turned right down. The bass was tricky to level too. It mentions to watch for that in the guide anyway.
But yeah all good here. I didn't feel a huge need for grotbox comparisons either. Mixing it like this you know it will work lol.
I will carry on playing around with this technique. Thanks again!
craigtumps
Regular

Previous