You are here

All downloads GONE AGAIN!!

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

All downloads GONE AGAIN!!

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:56 am

Please don't tell me I have do download all issues again from January 2012 to the present day! I already did this once before, a couple of years ago. My iPad Mini is used solely as an SOS back issues bank. It takes an age to do this. Do we never really own these after we buy them?
:madas:
Howdy Doody Time
Regular
The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Re: All downloads GONE AGAIN!!

Postby zenguitar » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:47 am

Clearly, you feel the need to rant, but at least tell us the problem. My iPad is just fine, last 3 issues safely saved and the rest archived (it's an old 16Gb iPad mini) and no problems,

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:47 am

Yes admittedly it was a rant :(

I went to download the May edition and found all of my downloads were gone. The internet here is a bit flaky, and not very fast (I know most people these days can't really understand how frustrating that is)

Downloading is an issue by issue affair, manually clicking each one until all are recovered. Clicking two or three just delivers time out error messages, and accessing the upper left corner menu seems to allow recovery of the list of missing items only (the list was already available anyway)

However I now have them all back again and the downloading was quicker than I expected - either the internet was faster for some reason (possibly because it's Sunday morning and less people in our lane are using it) or the reload only involves downloading some lesser amount of data.

What I thought was that downloaded issues were in my iPad memory, for keeps. This is important for me because I often want to cross check something, or read an early issue without access to the internet. However it seems that the app can deny me access, or erase my issues from time to time - such as today.

Being a bit of an app Luddite, I will be looking at ways to back up my iPad Mini to an external drive so I can recover the contents without internet access if this happens again.
Howdy Doody Time
Regular
The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Postby zenguitar » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:27 am

The issues you download remain on your iPad. However, if you archive issues they are deleted from the iPad but remain available to download again whenever you want. If you have no active data connection the app will only show your downoaded issues, but if you have a data connection it will show all available issues.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Dave B » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:13 pm

I _think_ that there is some housekeeping that kicks in on the iPad when it thinks it is running low on space, so it is quite possible that the app has been told to have a clear out. I'm sure that this has happened to me in the past. Yes, it's frustrating when it happens and if you connection is slow I can see it being a pain.

As to 'backing up' the issues to an external device, I think that that's a no-no in Apple land. Their philosophy is that the device only has local copies as a 'cache' rather than proper storage - which fits in with you deletion issue. They are a bit weird like that at Apple..
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:30 pm

Indeed. Lots of things are a bit weird with Apple, users tend to get locked out (look at iTunes for the best example of that) but I'm kind of committed. My next main computer will definitely not be a Mac, and I already ditched the iPhone. This is my first major gripe with the iPad, so I'll be looking at alternatives there too. Think of the savings I will make :)
Howdy Doody Time
Regular