You are here

What are the benefits of recording from headphones?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

What are the benefits of recording from headphones?

Postby garrettendi » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:26 am

I found this article https://www.soundonsound.com/sound-advi ... dphone-out which is very interesting, exploring how to record from a guitar amp's headphone output.

Besides the opportunity to record silently, are there any other benefits to this over say micing up the speaker or recording from a guitar pedal?

At the moment I record from my Biyang Metal End King pedal, which gives a better tone than my Peavey Envoy 110's headphone socket, but I'm open to ideas.
garrettendi
Frequent Poster
Despite my post count, I know nothing. Think of me as the court jester!

Re: What are the benefits of recording from headphones?

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:07 am

I think the only advantage is as you say, i.e. silent recording, and if it sounds good, that's good, if not use a different method to achieve a sound that pleases.

Headphone outputs often don't sound very good, a used POD or similar is a much cheaper way of doing it and your DAW probably has a suitable plug in to process the dry guitar sound if you just plug into your audio interface 'instrument' input.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby garrettendi » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:13 am

Sam Spoons wrote:Headphone outputs often don't sound very good, a used POD or similar is a much cheaper way of doing it and your DAW probably has a suitable plug in to process the dry guitar sound if you just plug into your audio interface 'instrument' input.

Yes, this is what I do at the moment. I record dry into Amplitube, and I plan to also use my Classic DI to record from my Metal End King (which has an amp simulator) simultaneously alongside this.

I was curious though if there were any particular benefits in doing as the article describes :thumbup:
garrettendi
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:40 am

I suspect not. Hugh was explaining the potential misunderstanding many newbs have regarding the problems interfacing 'stereo' and 'balanced' I/O when both are presented on TRS jacks.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby garrettendi » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:44 am

Understood :thumbup:

If I ever record an actual live amp, I will go the micing it up route, seeing as I already have perfectly good amp sims available for "silent" recordings
garrettendi
Frequent Poster

Postby Darren Lynch » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:00 pm

Not about headphone outputs per se, but using a line or DI solution can allow the the solo recordist the opportunity to dial in a sound most sympathetic to the other instruments, especially drums. If you are recording a mic'ed amp, chances are you wont be able to hear in detail how the tone is working with the other elements (the engineer on the other side of the glass usually does that). I generally use a Sansamp Classic, and a have a few minutes fiddling to tuck the guitar 'into' the drum sound. This is not your cue to start GAS'ing for a Sansamp :D - any decent amp modeller such as Amplitube can be used in the same way.
Darren Lynch
Regular

Postby garrettendi » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:02 pm

I already have Amplitube! I am officially safe from GAS!

...for now.
garrettendi
Frequent Poster

Postby Darren Lynch » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:57 pm

garrettendi wrote:I already have Amplitube! I am officially safe from GAS!

...for now.

Is anyone truly safe from GAS?
Darren Lynch
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:07 pm

Darren Lynch wrote:
garrettendi wrote:I already have Amplitube! I am officially safe from GAS!

...for now.

Is anyone truly safe from GAS?
I'm always slightly relieved when I read a glowing review of something in SoS and then the price comes through in four figures - it means there's no way I'm ever buying it so there's no danger of GAS. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...