You are here

Help needed - Recording MicroKORG using a PC, Audacity, and a Behringer UMC404HD USB-Audio Interface

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Help needed - Recording MicroKORG using a PC, Audacity, and a Behringer UMC404HD USB-Audio Interface

Postby thegeo » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:15 pm

I am kind of lost. Never done this stuff before, always had plug and play USB devices. I'm not sure what cables I need, or where to plug them into... I've been trying to figure it out for a week now. :( I want the PC to record audio that the MicroKORG makes, I don't want to use it to control software or anything.
thegeo
New here

Re: Help needed - Recording MicroKORG using a PC, Audacity, and a Behringer UMC404HD USB-Audio Interface

Postby ef37a » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:48 pm

thegeo wrote:I am kind of lost. Never done this stuff before, always had plug and play USB devices. I'm not sure what cables I need, or where to plug them into... I've been trying to figure it out for a week now. :( I want the PC to record audio that the MicroKORG makes, I don't want to use it to control software or anything.

You need two 1/4" jack to jack cables (guitar cables but they can be a lot less chunky and quite cheap) These go from the audio out jack on the Korg to (say*) inputs 1 and 2 on the Behringer. That is the easy bit!

Have you got the interface installed correctly? Can you play back sounds from Ytube, CD etc? If not, dig into the book and get it sorted. Normally with USB audio you install the software BEFORE connecting the hardware and once you do that, the PC runs another little program before it finishes.

Next you need to 'tell' Audacity about the interface. Top of screen..Edit>Preferences> should be fairly obvious from there but you want to run 24 bits at 44.1kHz.

LOT more to say but leave us K.I.S.Sir for now?

*You could use inputs 3/4 for kbd and run a mic into 1 or 2. I also suggest you buy a pair of MIDI DIN cables quite soon.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Re: Help needed - Recording MicroKORG using a PC, Audacity, and a Behringer UMC404HD USB-Audio Interface

Postby thegeo » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:40 pm

Shows Behringer Line in 1-2 next to the mic icon, then 2 stereo. Speaker shows realtek high definition (Presuming that's what sound should play out of, since that's what everything else on my PC comes out of) I have cables from Output LR going out of the microkorg going into 1 and 2 for the Behringer. No sound plays through it. If I plug headphones into the korg, I hear it, but nothing on speakers, nothing on Audacity.
thegeo
New here

Postby ef37a » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:40 pm

thegeo wrote:Shows Behringer Line in 1-2 next to the mic icon, then 2 stereo. Speaker shows realtek high definition (Presuming that's what sound should play out of, since that's what everything else on my PC comes out of) I have cables from Output LR going out of the microkorg going into 1 and 2 for the Behringer. No sound plays through it. If I plug headphones into the korg, I hear it, but nothing on speakers, nothing on Audacity.

Forget Realtek (Pt'hagh!) Everything must now go into and come out of the Behringer so plug headphones into that and set the Behringer as Default record and playback device in Windows and in Audacity.
I am not sure how the UMC 'setsup' but someone here has one and maybe will peep up?

Meantime I will check the manual and see if I can work it out. Ha! Just thought. You might need to install "Asio4All' Google it.

We WILL get there!

(EN) Step 3: Getting started
U-PHORIA UMC404HD/UMC204HD/UMC202HD/UMC22/UM2 Getting start ed
Windows operating system:
Please visit www.behringer.com
and download the latest USB driver
for your U-Phoria interface. Unzip the fi le,
double-click the setup.exe and follow the
on-screen instructions.
Mac OS X operating system: No drivers
needed, your U-Phoria interface operates
class-compliant.
Connect to the mains
via the provided power
adapter (UMC404HD).
Connect to a computer via the
provided USB cable. Designate your
U-Phoria device as your audio
(UM2 / UMC22 / UMC202HD) or audio/MIDI
(UMC204HD & UMC404HD) interface in your

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby thegeo » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:49 pm

Yea, sound comes out MicroKORG to headphones if they're plugged into the MicroKORG, plugging them into the Behringer has no sound, and nothing shows on Audacity for sound when I play it either, and it does show Behringer line in 1-2.
thegeo
New here

Postby ef37a » Tue May 01, 2018 7:52 am

thegeo wrote:Yea, sound comes out MicroKORG to headphones if they're plugged into the MicroKORG, plugging them into the Behringer has no sound, and nothing shows on Audacity for sound when I play it either, and it does show Behringer line in 1-2.

Do you have the Korg connected as I suggested via 2 jack to jack cables?
Do you have "Line" selected on the front of the AI?
Do the "signal' LEDs blink along with the keyboard signal?

If all the above is correct, do you have the "Mix" control over at "In"?
Do you have the headphone VC turned up! Can you play YT sounds in cans on the Behringer? If you can, try a mic into the interface.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Tue May 01, 2018 9:14 am

One of Audacity's options (or whatever they're called on a PC, sorry) is called Devices and it tells Audacity where to get its sound for recording and where to send it for playback. If you haven't done so already you need to make sure both of these reference the Behringer.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
A full wine rack is a happy wine rack.

Postby ConcertinaChap » Tue May 01, 2018 10:51 am

thegeo wrote:and it does show Behringer line in 1-2.

Sorry, missed that.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
A full wine rack is a happy wine rack.

Postby thegeo » Tue May 01, 2018 2:28 pm

ef37a wrote:
thegeo wrote:Yea, sound comes out MicroKORG to headphones if they're plugged into the MicroKORG, plugging them into the Behringer has no sound, and nothing shows on Audacity for sound when I play it either, and it does show Behringer line in 1-2.

Do you have the headphone VC turned up! Can you play YT sounds in cans on the Behringer? If you can, try a mic into the interface.

Dave.

Managed to get it working! Thanks again :) Had cables plugged into the wrong plugs. I have some issues from liver failure that mess with my head... today is the first day I've been semi-coherent since the Korg arrived.
thegeo
New here

Postby ef37a » Wed May 02, 2018 12:40 pm

thegeo wrote:
ef37a wrote:

Dave.

Managed to get it working! Thanks again :) Had cables plugged into the wrong plugs. I have some issues from liver failure that mess with my head... today is the first day I've been semi-coherent since the Korg arrived.

Splendid! Once you have had a bit of a bash, would you come back with some idea of how good (i.e. 'low') the latency is using the AI for playing a software instrument please?

See, those Behringer AIs SEEM a good reccy to the ever posting, impecunious newbs that come to HR. From a recording/pre-amps/general sound quality POV they seem very good value but I have read nothing about their driver/latency performance?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Darren Lynch » Thu May 03, 2018 4:56 pm

The MicroKorg sounds bloody great. Loads of fun. Just some encouragement for you :thumbup:
Darren Lynch
Frequent Poster