You are here

Must I reset Ableton for it to recognize I've plugged in a microphone?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Must I reset Ableton for it to recognize I've plugged in a microphone?

Postby marumbra » Sun May 13, 2018 9:29 pm

I use the DAW, Ableton Live 9. Whenever I plug a microphone inside my laptop with Ableton open, it doesn't immediately give me the option of setting my audio input as the microphone, instead, I have to close and re-open Ableton and then the option appears.

Given Ableton takes about 7 seconds to close and 25 to open, that's a lot of time wasted. Is there perhaps a faster alternative to 'rescan' the USB ports with Ableton still open like you do with Ableton plug-ins?
marumbra
Poster

Re: Must I reset Ableton for it to recognize I've plugged in a microphone?

Postby zenguitar » Sun May 13, 2018 11:28 pm

It sounds like you are using a USB microphone. If that is the case what you are actually doing is adding a new USB audio interface. I know it sounds like a small distinction, but it would help you to understand that a USB microphone is actually an audio interface built into a microphone.

I don't know Ableton. But if it is possible you need to look in your Ableton audio settings and see if there is an option to rescan for audio interfaces.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby marumbra » Thu May 17, 2018 3:46 am

zenguitar wrote:It sounds like you are using a USB microphone. If that is the case what you are actually doing is adding a new USB audio interface. I know it sounds like a small distinction, but it would help you to understand that a USB microphone is actually an audio interface built into a microphone.

I don't know Ableton. But if it is possible you need to look in your Ableton audio settings and see if there is an option to rescan for audio interfaces.

Andy :beamup:

That's what I was trying to find out. If you look at the Ableton preferences tab (in the audio section) you can see there is no such option, so I was hoping for some sort of workaround.
marumbra
Poster

Postby Wonks » Thu May 17, 2018 10:37 am

Probably not. I expect there's a fair bit of base code that's shared with Cubase, and that won't recognise and work with an audio interface that's become active after Cubase has booted up (or at least it didn't in 8.5, haven't tried it with 9.5 yet).
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu May 17, 2018 12:00 pm

This article looks like it will answer your questions https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/articles/209071609-Using-Aggregate-Devices-and-multiple-audio-interfaces In an nutshell, it can be done on a Mac by having multiple audio interfaces active at the same time (set up as an aggregate device at system level) but not on a Windows box.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........