You are here

DI for bass guitar...

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: DI for bass guitar...

Postby The Bunk » Thu May 17, 2018 10:52 am

Thanks Guys; I think both James and Hugh have nailed it, in that for most of what I've been doing, my current set-up has worked but on this occasion I do need a bit more character. And it's only a realtively harmless case of Gear Acquisition Syndrome given the cost!
:thumbup:
The Bunk
Frequent Poster

Postby garrettendi » Thu May 17, 2018 11:08 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:That's where the various hardware and software emulations come in so useful.

And don't forget we're spoiled for choice of amp simulators, including in the free sector. Even the major amp solutions have free version that you can add to bit by bit, if you don't want to go for random plugins you might find on KVR.
garrettendi
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

Postby ef37a » Thu May 17, 2018 4:50 pm

Spend nothing Bunk! (maybe a couple of jack cables)

You already have the means to "DI" that bass

Plug the bass into the HT-1 and you should get enough level to play it quite nicely. Sure, you are not going to rattle even a doll's house windows but it should be usable. (if you can get your hands on a speaker cab, any impedance, so much the better.)

To feed the AI simply come out of the headphone/emulated jack. Ok, the 'emulation' is for a six string but you are going to mangle it in software anyway! Unfortunately you cannot have the speaker on and the DI out but you can use monitoring in the interface.

I am sure you and others here are aghast at the suggestion of putting a bass through that wee amp? So long as you keep it clean, i.e. don't go for blasting distortion I am sure things will be fine. Usually it is speakers that suffer from bass guitar but IIRC that speaker is rated at 5W (might be 10) and the amp really is JUST one watt.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby The Bunk » Thu May 17, 2018 5:56 pm

ef37a wrote:
I am sure you and others here are aghast at the suggestion of putting a bass through that wee amp? Dave.

Not at all, it has crossed my mind and I intend you try it as you suggested; in fact I may have done it before, can't remember, but with my limited set-up it's about doing the best I can with what I've got.
For this particular song though I have (as has been suggested elsewhere) gone with double-tracking it - one clean straight into the Focusrite and one through a guitar FX pedal with a tiny bit of distortion. Seems to be working so far...!
Haven't attempted to sing the b*gger yet but at least I only have to gabble away some completely indecipherable lyrics. I can pretty much do what I want when it comes to that!
The Bunk
Frequent Poster

Postby ef37a » Thu May 17, 2018 6:12 pm

The Bunk wrote:
ef37a wrote:
I am sure you and others here are aghast at the suggestion of putting a bass through that wee amp? Dave.

Not at all, it has crossed my mind and I intend you try it as you suggested; in fact I may have done it before, can't remember, but with my limited set-up it's about doing the best I can with what I've got.
For this particular song though I have (as has been suggested elsewhere) gone with double-tracking it - one clean straight into the Focusrite and one through a guitar FX pedal with a tiny bit of distortion. Seems to be working so far...!
Haven't attempted to sing the b*gger yet but at least I only have to gabble away some completely indecipherable lyrics. I can pretty much do what I want when it comes to that!

Good! Too few people experiment with their gear these days. "if it ain't on the store shelf, I don't know what to do"!

If/when funds permit you might consider a speaker cab for the HT-1. The Greenback 55Hz model should sound really good on guitar and not to bad for bass either, be nice to mic up a cab?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Previous