You are here

Behringer ADA8200 as 8 extra analogue inputs on my O1V96 (via ADAT)?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Behringer ADA8200 as 8 extra analogue inputs on my O1V96 (via ADAT)?

Postby Kevin Nolan » Sun May 20, 2018 4:42 pm

I wonder if anyone has used the Behringer ADA8200 as 8 extra analogue inputs on a digital mixer such as an O1V96 - via ADAT? :

http://www.musictri.be/Categories/Behri ... 00/p/P0ATL

It looks to me that it'll do it - essentially acting as an 8 channel analogue to ADAT converter -but would appreciate insight from anyone who might know, either way.

I had hoped to buy an SM Pro Analogue to ADAT converter but they don't sell that device in Europe any more.

Thanks!
Kevin.

PS - I feel really guilty making this post - I've spent the past year online knocking most of Behringer's synth "cloning" efforts - and here I am hoping they'll bail me out of a project studio predicament

:-)
Kevin Nolan
Frequent Poster

Re: Behringer ADA8200 as 8 extra analogue inputs on my O1V96 (via ADAT)?

Postby ef37a » Sun May 20, 2018 4:58 pm

Can't help with the 'technicals' Kevin but CAN share your ambivalence re' Behringer!

They have made shameless copies of the HT-5 and HT-20 (and other models I shouldn't wonder) and so I do consider them ***ts of the highest order...But, they also make some very decent gear at affordable prices for the Home Recording market*.

They seem to "do" electronics well but reliability is often woeful. I have a BCA2000 in the loft.

BRILLIANT concept, never been matched IMO (think SPL Crimson but even more versatile and WAAAY cheaper) They never produced a driver worthy of the name for it. It WOULD work but, wing and utterances. Then bits just began to fail, LH mic pre, fixed that then part of the monitor section. By now (but NOT that long!) Behringer had stopped production and did not want to know about out of warranty servicing.

The original ADAT unit was, I understand rather unreliable but Bh's can be commended for producing a 'Mkll' that sorts the problems..WISH they had done that for the BCA2K!

*But cracks it seems are appearing in the performance Uphoria range?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun May 20, 2018 6:53 pm

Yes, the ADA8200 wil do what you want, provided you pay attention to the appropriate clocking arrangements.

Technically, the ADA8200's performance is a welcome improvement in all areas compared to the ADA8000 original, but its low budget design remains apparent.

If you want a (much) better quality analogue-to ADAT converter, I can recommend the Audient ASP800 or 880 preamps.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby James Perrett » Sun May 20, 2018 9:40 pm

As Hugh says, the Audient devices will give you much better sound quality and more versatile input options but, if you are working at 44.1 or 48kHz, the Behringer will give you more versatile clocking options and an extra 8 outputs. I have the old ADA8000 which is fine for many purposes - I'll often use it for audience mics and ambience mics on live recordings for example.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby resistorman » Sun May 20, 2018 9:54 pm

A local club uses these as the front end for a SAW mixing system. They sound remarkably good for the money.
resistorman
Frequent Poster
future26.com

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun May 20, 2018 10:22 pm

resistorman wrote:They sound remarkably good for the money.

I'd much rather have something that doesn't need the qualification and actually sounds good... :lol: :wave:
Hugh Robjohns

Postby resistorman » Mon May 21, 2018 2:12 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
I'd much rather have something that doesn't need the qualification and actually sounds good... :lol: :wave:

:D true enough! But if you got pequito dough, they sound as good as the Behringer X series, Presonus, that sort of thing. And the folks I mentioned beat the snot out of them, leaving the phantom power active all the time as they plug in every day :o
resistorman
Frequent Poster
future26.com

Postby ef37a » Mon May 21, 2018 5:54 am

Quite surprised to read in the SoS review of the ASP800 that it uses a linear supply because the SMPSU is more expensive

I would have thought, by now, such audio companies would have a very 'mature' design of SMPSU "off the shelf"? The voltages required are pretty well fixed, +&- 15/16/17 V. 48V and 5V for the digital gubbinses?

And! I know this will rankle Hugh but. A stock 12V line lump and some internal converters is the way many companies save the pennies!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Kevin Nolan » Mon May 21, 2018 9:05 am

Thanks Hugh (and colleagues) for the advice - very much appreciated.

However - in this instance it's just 8 line ins I need for synths - and old synths at that - so once I get a clean and relatively flat signal it'll be fine. The Audient looks great - but would frankly be a waste of resource for this particular application. But I'll note it for other similar upcoming plans for sure - thanks for sharing your insight on this.

As an aside SM Pro seem to be going through a strange take over meaning poorer access for the European market - a pity - an excellent company for all sorts of practical reasons but I suppose the devices they sell are more functional than desirable so will likely struggle to maintain sufficient sales.

to ef37a - don't want to turn this into a Behringer bashing thread - but - agree with your stance. Actually I do like their DM12 and Neuron - great to see Behringer be innovative in that way; and wish they'd stay away from the clones (they're not clones in any case) - and in fact my _only_ real beef with Behringer was Uli Behringer going on to Gearslutz in late 2017 and undermining Moog publicly - poor form!.

Thanks again for the advice on the ADA8200 - I really appreciate it - and you've just enabled the final piece of a long-time happening project studio overhaul that'll be quite exciting (synth wise :-) ) !! Cheers!

Kevin.
Kevin Nolan
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon May 21, 2018 10:07 am

Kevin Nolan wrote:However - in this instance it's just 8 line ins I need for synths...

Why I suggested the Audients. The ADA has the advantage of being very cheap, but the disadvantage that much of your money is paying for facilities you don't need (the D-A outputs). In contrast, the ASP is more expensive, but all the money is going into the preamps and converters that you do need, and the quality improvement is not subtle.

As an aside SM Pro seem to be going through a strange take over meaning poorer access for the European market

The Australian manufacturer SM Pro was bought by the Harman group in 2015 and its products and IP redistributed and rebranded amongst other Harman brands.

Thanks again for the advice on the ADA8200 - I really appreciate it

No worries. My review of it is here: https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/behringer-ultragain-ada-8200

And the ASP800 (probably the more appropriate Audient model in your case) here: https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/audient-asp800

With the ASP880 for completeness here: https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/audient-asp880
Hugh Robjohns

Postby jaminem » Mon May 21, 2018 11:04 am

Just to lob in that the Presonus DP88 is an exceptional alternative to the above (aside from the external PSU obvs), sits between the Berry and the Audient on price but the sound quality is beyond reproach, and easily a match for my Fireface 802. I've got 2 of them. They have the advantage of direct ins and out that avoid the preamps...

They rock, in short...
jaminem
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon May 21, 2018 11:21 am

Good call -- and there are other options too (but nothing I know of as affordable as the ADA8200).
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Forum Admin » Mon May 21, 2018 12:14 pm

You can get four ADA8200's for the price of one DP88 currently in the UK, if you shop around.
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH SOS - 10,216 quality articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
SOS Tutorials: www.soundonsound.com/tutorials

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon May 21, 2018 12:15 pm

...but why would anyone want to? :lol:
Hugh Robjohns

Postby garrettendi » Mon May 21, 2018 1:14 pm

ef37a wrote:*But cracks it seems are appearing in the performance Uphoria range?

What are these cracks you speak of? As most here know, I have a Uphoria UMC204HD and couldn't be happier!

I'm not discrediting you... I genuinely am curious so I know of anything to keep an eye out for.
garrettendi
Frequent Poster
Despite my post count, I know nothing. Think of me as the court jester!

Postby Kevin Nolan » Mon May 21, 2018 2:04 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Good call -- and there are other options too (but nothing I know of as affordable as the ADA8200).

Hugh - while I realise you may be need to be restricted in what you say as you do this for your living - is there a particular issue with the Behringers where they won't deliver a clean signal, or are you primarily talking about quality?

And again mindful that I'm talking about connecting up synths like the CS70M, Korg Trident, JV2080 - that sort of thing - where all I'm after is a line in with noise characteristics better than those, and a bandwidth (linearity) capable of handling those synths - are you saying that the Behringer will degrade even those signals?

While the other options are surely better - they're 3-4 times the price - and I'm trying to make a cost effective use of a spare ADAT port and idle 8 input channels on my O1V96 - nevertheless I won't buy the Behringer if it would degrade even the analogue line out from a typical synth.
Kevin Nolan
Frequent Poster

Postby Kevin Nolan » Mon May 21, 2018 2:52 pm

Hugh - just tried to edit / shorten the post above which is too meandering - so here's what I mean:

- a little doubt popping in with subsequent posts so just for clarity - can I be confident the ADA8200 will deliver adequate line level signals for typical 70's analogue synths without noticeable degradation to those signals? That's all I'm after.

Thanks!
Kevin Nolan
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon May 21, 2018 3:21 pm

Kevin Nolan wrote:is there a particular issue with the Behringers where they won't deliver a clean signal, or are you primarily talking about quality?

They will certainly deliver what I think you mean by a 'clean' signal, and many folk are perfectly happy with them as you've seen. Just take care over the clocking arrangements, as I've said, to avoid clicks everywhere!

To my mind, though, the sound quality of the ADA8200 is about twenty years behind the times. The converter performance is lower than every other interface/converter that I've ever measured, and way below what other budget manufacturers are currently delivering -- and that's purely down to poor design quality. Moreover, the mic preamps sound pretty grainy and muddled and, again, are clearly outshone by a lot of other budget manufacturers.

I think the key word to describe the ADA8200 really is 'adequate', which is a shame when the rest of the budget MI world has moved comfortably on to 'remarkably good'. ;)

While the other options are surely better - they're 3-4 times the price - and I'm trying to make a cost effective use of a spare ADAT port and idle 8 input channels on my O1V96

Sure, I get that... and if budget is the overriding priority you won't find cheaper than the ADA8200 and you would need to spend 4-times more for an Audient -- although we're still only talking £75 per channel. What's that in comparison to the cost of your sources? Some people will pay that much for a cable! ;-)

My personal perspective however, is that I'd rather invest in something that I know is well designed, sounds good, is well-built -- ideally in the UK -- and will be serviceable over a long lifespan. Something that I can use over the long term that has the quality to be useful in a variety of different roles as future needs evolve. Hence the Audient recommendation -- not high-end or silly money, but genuinely professional and supportable.

Obviously, it's your ears and wallet that matter... I already have an ASP880 feeding the ADAT sockets on my DM1000 console! :D

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Kevin Nolan » Mon May 21, 2018 3:42 pm

Thanks a million Hugh. That's crystal clear and you've convinced me. Not that I'm wealthy but I can handle the cost of an ASP880 - I was just seeing if there was no point to the extra expense - but there is for all the reasons you've highlighted. Earnestly appreciated (and to everyone else too).

Kevin.
Kevin Nolan
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon May 21, 2018 4:31 pm

Good man! :-)

More thoughts... the ASP800 is a little cheaper than the ASP880, but has the same core mic preamps and converter quality. The saving is really because there are fewer bells and whistles (which you won't need on keys anyway), but the benefit is two channels with HMX and Iron controls which might be useful for adding character to your weaker-sounding instruments.
Hugh Robjohns

Next