You are here

Compact mixer pre into Zoom R16?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Compact mixer pre into Zoom R16?

Postby permanent_daylight » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:27 pm

Worked. Thanks.

I only have the 50kg option of my combo amp though.

Does anyone know a cable/connector device that does the same? Perhaps a preamp that is actually earthed for cheap if not?
permanent_daylight
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:50 pm

Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby James Perrett » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:17 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Here's one option:
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/gr ... ction-plug

One thing to check with products like this is that the ground is directly connected. Some have a high value resistor between the ground pin and the terminal as they're often intended to reduce static rather than as a direct ground connection.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:54 pm

Indeed. The product in that review provides a solid ground, and I reviewed it because that is unusual. Most are intended for static protection and include a high value resistor, as you rightly say.

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby permanent_daylight » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:59 am

If that's just a connection straight to ground, why not just rewire a standard UK plug with a TRS cable? It seems like there's the same work either way (or in fact no soldering with most plugs). (Or will I die as a result lol)
permanent_daylight
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:28 am

The Groundology plug has non-conductive line and neutral pins, making it inherently safe under all conditions.

Wiring a ground lead into the earth pin of a standard mains plug would do the same thing but isn't inherently safe... And hence it's not an approach I can openly recommend on a public forum to people of unknown technical competence. But I do have some equipment here wired to ground using that kind of technique....
Hugh Robjohns

Postby permanent_daylight » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:12 pm

Found out the studiospares valve preamp sells to next to nothing used...and has a ground pin. so should earth everything (and hopefully be useful for more gain much like OP suggesting). notice its impedance its super high (but engaging phantom lowers it) so might improve ribbons and dynamics a bit too.
permanent_daylight
Regular

Postby skynet888 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:16 pm

My 2 cents...

I have a Zoom R16 and record all my instruments direct to the unit mostly dry and or the odd wet track. After I recorded all the instruments to the Zoom I move my SD card from the Zoom to my computer and use the Reaper DAW to mix and add effects etc. For myself, this method works very well. Then if you wish, transform your finished WAV file to a MP3 file and upload to YOUTUBE. Or other Web based platform you would like to spot light your finished product.

and remember...clones are people too.... :geek:

Dave :)
skynet888
New here

Previous