You are here

64-bit GVST plugins on Windows - experiences

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

64-bit GVST plugins on Windows - experiences

Postby garrettendi » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:59 am

I saw Zukan's Transients post and checked out GClip, but also found GSnap.

This could be really useful for me to use not so much as an Auto-Tune but to get feedback (alongside the piano roll in the plugin) on where I'm missing the note in my vocals, then I can go back and do the retake paying attention to those notes.

But I noticed from Matt that some of the GVST plugins are getting blacklisted by Cubase (I use Harrison Mixbus 4 though).

Before I go ahead (it's free anyway!), I wanted to ask everyone what their experiences are with GVST in general and GSnap in particular?
garrettendi
Frequent Poster
Despite my post count, I know nothing. Think of me as the court jester!

Re: 64-bit GVST plugins on Windows - experiences

Postby The Elf » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:12 am

I don't use GSnap, but I occasionally use others in the GVST range - no problems in Windows (64-bit) Cubase here.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby garrettendi » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:13 am

Thanks Elf

What appeals to me about GSnap is that it has the same kind of graph with piano roll that Melodyne has.

Yes I know it won't be as good as Melodyne, but it'll save me £99 until I decide to go for the full thing. I don't want the auto-tune so much, just that graph to see where I'm off. :thumbup:
garrettendi
Frequent Poster

Postby Matt Houghton » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:34 am

Just to be clear, it was the beta versions ported for MacOS and only in versions of Cubase post 8.5 that were getting blacklisted. I could successfully remove some of them from the blacklist... I don't imagine this will have much bearing on other DAWs running on Windows.
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Postby garrettendi » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:35 am

Matt Houghton wrote:Just to be clear, it was the beta versions ported for MacOS and only in versions of Cubase post 8.5 that were getting blacklisted. I could successfully remove some of them from the blacklist... I don't imagine this will have much bearing on other DAWs running on Windows.

Thanks Matt! I totally misunderstood your post earlier. Thanks for clearing it up! :thumbup:
garrettendi
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:47 pm

garrettendi wrote:What appeals to me about GSnap is that it has the same kind of graph with piano roll that Melodyne has.

Yes I know it won't be as good as Melodyne, but it'll save me £99 until I decide to go for the full thing. I don't want the auto-tune so much, just that graph to see where I'm off. :thumbup:
...and this is why I prefer Cubase to other DAWs - integrated pitch correction with VariAudio. If you ever get to try it you will really begrudge transferring audio to external processes...
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby garrettendi » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:51 pm

I used Cubase LE a long time ago (I know it's nowhere near the real thing!). I think it was version 5. I hated it but I don't think that was Cubase's fault... More that I was 18 years old and had no clue what I was doing.

I think for now I'm happy with Mixbus, especially given I've put in a lot of effort to learn how to use it.

I'm seriously considering switching to Mixcraft Studio Pro however, but I'm too loyal to Ardour!

EDIT: It wasn't version 5... this was back in about 2005.
garrettendi
Frequent Poster

Postby Matt Houghton » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:55 pm

The Elf wrote:...and this is why I prefer Cubase to other DAWs - integrated pitch correction with VariAudio. If you ever get to try it you will really begrudge transferring audio to external processes...

I like and use Cubase, as you know. I find Variaudio useful. But Cubase is far from the only DAW to offer such a facility.
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Postby The Elf » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:15 pm

Matt Houghton wrote:
The Elf wrote:...and this is why I prefer Cubase to other DAWs - integrated pitch correction with VariAudio. If you ever get to try it you will really begrudge transferring audio to external processes...
I like and use Cubase, as you know. I find Variaudio useful. But Cubase is far from the only DAW to offer such a facility.
Of course, but none of them match up to VariAudio IMO. It really is one of Cubase's gemstones!
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Matt Houghton » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:55 am

The Elf wrote:none of them match up to VariAudio IMO. It really is one of Cubase's gemstones!

To each their own. I still prefer Cubase to Studio One in general. I like Variaudio in many ways. But I'm envious of the ARA integration of Melodyne — a monophonic version is included with Studio One, it can be upgraded to the full polyphonic version, and with Studio One v4 it looks like they're making interesting moves in the direction of integrating Melodyne with a Chord Track too. Logic's Flex Pitch isn't bad either...
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Postby garrettendi » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:16 am

Matt Houghton wrote: But I'm envious of the ARA integration of Melodyne

This is exactly why I'm tempted to switch to Mixcraft. Mixcraft costs $99 in the occasional sale, and comes with Melodyne which retails for $99 as well.

But I don't want to switch from Mixbus. The only reason I have to support switching is the extra plugins you get with Mixcraft, but the only one I'd actually use is Melodyne, given that everything else I do uses free plugins (like GVST of course).
garrettendi
Frequent Poster

Postby garrettendi » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:22 am

I just double checked Mixcraft. Literally the only plugin that I feel is worth it is Melodyne.

So I'll stick with Mixbus :thumbup:
garrettendi
Frequent Poster

Postby job » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:43 am

garrettendi wrote:
Matt Houghton wrote: ...ARA integration of Melodyne

This is exactly why I'm tempted to switch to Mixcraft.

Melodyne seems to be included with the recent edition of Cakewalk if it's of interest to you. Cakewalk is ARA enabled.
job
Regular

Postby The Elf » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:54 am

A properly integrated Melodyne would be a smart move for any DAW trying to complete.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby garrettendi » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:55 am

According to Mixbus, because they rely on Ardour, they cannot implement ARA due to licensing issues.

But surely Harrison could implement it themselves and NOT push it back up to Ardour? :thumbdown:
garrettendi
Frequent Poster