You are here

Blue Yeti Pro, Lewitt DGT 650 or ?? IOS recording

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Blue Yeti Pro, Lewitt DGT 650 or ?? IOS recording

Postby dickiefunk » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:17 pm

Hi,

I’m looking for a decent IOS mic to plug straight into my iPad to use with Auria Pro. I would like to record acoustic instruments and vocals.
I have heard good things about the Blue Yeti Pro and Lewitt DGT 650 and am torn as to which mic to go for?
It is important to me to have something with as low self noise as possible and am wondering if there is anything better than these two mics?

What would you recommend?
dickiefunk
Frequent Poster
http://www.richardpenrose.com

Re: Blue Yeti Pro, Lewitt DGT 650 or ?? IOS recording

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:13 pm

My son has a Blue Snowball which sounds good and has worked well for solo French Horn recordings in the church he used to practice. IIRC the SoS review cited less than stellar self noise performance though and his recordings were only for his own practice use.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby ore_terra » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:41 pm

Got a snowball myself too but havent used it in a while... I’ll give it a go tomorrow with the iPad and refresh my memory.
ore_terra
Regular

Postby dickiefunk » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:51 am

Thanks guys. I’m particularly interested in the Lewitt DGT650 and the Blue Yeti Pro.

I noticed the Lewitt DGT650 had a good review in SOS and the Yeti Pro is highly regarded.

I already have an Audio Technica AT4040, Miktek MK300 and JZ Microphones V11 and I’m wondering if I’d potentially get better results using one of these along with an interface like the Steinberg UR22 mk2 or IK iRig Pro Duo??

The cheaper route would be to buy the UR22 mk2 and the most expensive would be the Lewitt DGT650!

Which option would give me the highest audio quality and lowest noise?
dickiefunk
Frequent Poster

Postby ore_terra » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:08 am

you also have the apogee one, which brings an inbuilt mic (I don't know how good it is though).

I don't think you would have any problem at all with noise with this one. I've used its 2 bigger brothers with iPad and the quality is good. they're good pres.
ore_terra
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:53 pm

dickiefunk wrote:Which option would give me the highest audio quality and lowest noise?

I'd definitely go for the separate mic and interface. If Audient's claims of using the same mic preamp for their whole range are true then I'd look at one of their interfaces for an interface with a good low noise mic preamp.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby dickiefunk » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:00 am

James Perrett wrote:
dickiefunk wrote:Which option would give me the highest audio quality and lowest noise?

I'd definitely go for the separate mic and interface. If Audient's claims of using the same mic preamp for their whole range are true then I'd look at one of their interfaces for an interface with a good low noise mic preamp.

Hi James. Wow yes the specs on the Audient interfaces are in a different league to other interfaces within the same price range. I have an Audient Mico here in the studio and the preamps are possibly the cleanest and most detailed that I've heard. I love the Mico!

One thing I'm now considering is having midi I/O as well which the Audient interfaces don't have. However, I'm certain the audio quality of the Audient interface along with one of my studio mics would be in a different league to the Blue Yeti! Also, having two mic pres but would open up possibilities for using my Rode NT55's for quick location recordings at high quality!

So the question is, are there any interfaces under £200 that would have 2x mic pres, midi I/O and sound really good!?

Would a cheaper option like the Presonus Audiobox iTwo paired with an Audio Technica AT4040 still be a better option than the Lewitt DGT650?
dickiefunk
Frequent Poster

Postby James Perrett » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:06 pm

If you don't mind using the Mico as part of the setup then take a look at the Zoom U-44. Plug the Mico into the SPDIF input on the U-44 and your MIDI device into the Zoom's MIDI port. When using an iPad the Zoom can be powered from batteries or from an external power supply. The U-44 is on special offer at the moment for only £79 from a number of places at the moment and there's a review at

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/zoom-u-44
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby dickiefunk » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:12 pm

My Mico is racked up in my studio and I wouldn't want to have to take extra pieces of kit around with me. Good suggestion though.

I'm kind of torn between the Lewitt DGT650 as I've been offered one for less than half price or possibly get the Presonus Audiobox iTwo.

The Audient iD14 does look great but I'm concerned I may miss not having midi as well.
dickiefunk
Frequent Poster

Postby Dan LB » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:55 am

dickiefunk wrote:My Mico is racked up in my studio and I wouldn't want to have to take extra pieces of kit around with me. Good suggestion though.

I'm kind of torn between the Lewitt DGT650 as I've been offered one for less than half price or possibly get the Presonus Audiobox iTwo.

The Audient iD14 does look great but I'm concerned I may miss not having midi as well.

I have a Presous Audiobox iTwo and an Audient iD22. The Presonus isn't even in the same league as the Audient. Just sayin' :-)
Dan LB
Frequent Poster